Middle gear?? clunking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clunk98max

Reaction score
I have a 98 v-max with one Sean Morley's o.d. undercut gearbox's in it, nice gearbox, also has a pcw h.d. clutch spring kit in clutch, no more slip, all has been good for well over a year (15000+km.)
today after giving it a bit of squirt from 1st to 2nd I noticed a loud metallic clunking noise in the bike, this noise is worse under load - clutch in barely noticeable 'till low speeds .
once home pulled middle gear end cover off found clunk is running at same speed as middle gear shaft ()Approx 3 clunks to 1 rev' of rear wheel , any ideas on what to look for, what's the fix?

guess I've just found my bikes next week link!!

I have a 98 v-max with one Sean Morley's o.d. undercut gearbox's in it, nice gearbox, also has a pcw h.d. clutch spring kit in clutch, no more slip, all has been good for well over a year (15000+km.)
today after giving it a bit of squirt from 1st to 2nd I noticed a loud metallic clunking noise in the bike, this noise is worse under load - clutch in barely noticeable 'till low speeds .
once home pulled middle gear end cover off found clunk is running at same speed as middle gear shaft ()Approx 3 clunks to 1 rev' of rear wheel , any ideas on what to look for, what's the fix?

guess I've just found my bikes next week link!!

You need to take off the swingarm and yoke assembly and see whats there.
I doubt anything is wrong with Seans OD.

I will say either final drive or middle drive gears and maybe some of trans bearings.

Could be rear diff even. They are commonly broken where the splined adapter bolts in.

Sean

Edited cus I r dumb, posted to wrong thread.

Found problem- 2 teeth missing form middle gear on the drive end
Thanks for suggestions!
Next prob' how to get the gear out- have tried to push gear back (thru rear gear housing) and remove collets but can't get far enough to remove them
Can this be done without splitting or removing engine?

Bummer. If you can get the bearing off then it might be possible though I don't think you can get the gear out of the case!

Sean

No luck removing the gear,won't fit thru the bearing hole even if the collets would release.
looks like it's motor out & split time again.
At least it's a good chance to inspect , modify & consider a chain drive. (if I'm allowed!)

Back