More of Ra's "rode reports"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
With americade running this week, and weather being iffy, demo rides have been in plentiful supply. Only got two in yesterday but hopefully some more tomorrow to report on.

'12 Star VMAX
Well, what else would I take out first? This was also the first bike to get booked for the day (followed by the Super Tenere, then FZ8). From what I can tell there are no cosmetic or functional differences since the 09 introduction, or at least nothing that jumps out at you. Seat height is maybe a touch higher than a gen1, probably a good inch or so compared to my Morley seat. At 5-8 I was on tippy toes at stoplights. Seat felt a lot like the gen1 also. Flat and hard.
The big analog tach with shift light is finally in the right place and the digital speedo has a decently fast refresh. I found the "tank" screen display kind of tough to see, you have to lean backward and look towards your crotch to read it, looking down farther than the tach on a gen1.
As you'd expect, it's got a monster of an engine. Fires up with no fuss and has a decent (if muted) exhaust note. The gearbox is notably improved, neutral is much easier to find and shifting seems a bit lighter and more precise as compared to my '97. Torque is available en masse from about 3k on up, and get it up past 4k and you're in "rolling burnout on demand" territory. It smokes the rear tire with ridiculous ease. The demo bike had 3300 miles and the guy said they just put the third rear tire on it.

Power delivery was surprisingly familiar. Just stronger. Good torque down low, but get the revs up a bit and it swells with RPM. The "v-boost" is more noticeable as a change in the intake noise(which is fantastically mean sounding) than in acceleration.

Handling/stability was predictably better than a gen 1, though not really that much better than my gen 1 that had been lowered with Progressive springs. It wasn't quite as upset by frost heaves while cornering, though that may be simply because it weighs more. Didn't get a chance to wind it up to speed. Turn-in was a bit heavy and the "flick" was rather sluggish. I think wider handlebars would improve the overall feel.

Here were my issues with it.....the brakes. As is yamaha tradition, it has lackluster brakes. The front lever had no "bite" and very poor feel, it was spongy and vague. While they worked adequately, I think better pads and SS lines would do wonders for this. The rear was a similar story.
The blinkers. What is it with new Yamaha's and these wobbly blinker stems? They jiggle and bounce like tits on a trampoline. They look stupid to start with and them wiggling all over the place makes it look cheap. They'd have to go pronto.
The throttle response was also very touchy. In town it requires an extremely precise hand to drive smoothly without big jerks of engine braking, then power, since the difference is just the slightest twitch of your wrist. I realize that's partially because it's got so much torque on tap, but softening up the response(or offering power modes....as bikes half this price have) would improve overall driveability.

In a way, I felt like "more is less" when it came to the power. There's so damn much of it, you go anywhere near the throttle in 1-2-3 and you're smoking the rear tire to kingdom come. It almost makes the bike feel slower since you have to be so careful with the throttle and can really only unleash the power in the upper gears. You have to be very ginger with the throttle to stay anywhere close to speed limits. Talking the slightest touch off idle. This is something I suspect you'd get used to in time, but the rear tire was in no way up to the job of putting that power to the ground.

In a 30 minute demo I went from a tick under full to a tick over half. Holy OPEC batman. Especially considering this thing needs premium you're dropping like $20 in the tank every hour to keep it running. I'd pour $100 for a day trip in her.

It's an awesome bike, but as I thought and heard around here, it just doesn't seem like a $20k bike considering what else is out there.

It's really surprisingly similar to it's predecessor from the driver seat. It's a straight line rocket, designed to conquer drag strips and burn up highways with effortless speed. A big rowdy engine stuffed into a marginal chassis...sound famiar?

Highs:
+Explosive power
+Neat-o instrumentation
+Good transmission
+Killer intake noise
+Riding posture is ideal given the bike's abilities.

Lows:
-Unimpressive brakes
-Chugs premium fuel
-Hard seat
-Abrupt throttle response around town
-Display is hard to see, especially at speed.

'12 H-D Vrod Muscle
Get ready......I liked it. See? Proof I don't universally hate harleys.

But really, this was the surprise of the day. I'll say I was more impressed with the Vrod than the Max, probably because I was expecting the Max to be re-donk-u-lous, and expected this to be, well, a HD. So it exceeded my expectations much more.

Now here's why I liked it so much. It doesn't look, feel, or ride like a "traditional" Harley. The motor fires instantly and without an EFI that gets fussy when hot. It's quiet(too quiet if you ask me). You can actually use the mirrors at idle. Shifting is quiet(no BANG when you grab first), precise, and light. Neutral is easy to find. The clutch action was excellent. Linear grab throughout the lever travel, it was very easy to control without being heavy. Easy to modulate launches.

Out on the road(this year they don't make you go with a guide on the Vrods...so open pass to the highway! w00t) the engine runs smoothly and has a solid, fairly linear powerband. It has decent torque down low, though lugging it around town in fifth is definitely too slow for it's comfort zone. Get the revs up and dump it, power comes on quickly and builds steadily(though not explosively) to the 9000rpm redline. It's got a pretty decent hustle and while the engine doesn't feel as strong as my Max, it does feel "eager" to be revved and generally hot-rodded around. In short, the powertrain is excellent. For only an 1130 twin, it's pretty hot. Since there was no group or guide to stick with(a nice touch only HD does with demos...there's a "suggested" route but otherwise they just give you the bike and you do whatever you please for 30min)...after getting through town I got on I87 and opened the taps. Burning around the on-ramp revealed that the wide handlebars give excellent leverage and it was exceptionally stable over bumps. It was very confidence-inspiring in corners, and keeping the revs above 5k(don't short shift it too much for best results) gives a satisfying acceleration onto the highway. 80mph was almost 6k RPM....it spins pretty fast, though I guess the Max isn't too far off that. Slam to WOT and let's see what it's got. 100 came and went without any hint of speed wobble or instability(something I can't say about any other HD I've driven). Pulled to about 120, crested a hill and began a downhill grade. 125mph indicated was bumping the rev limiter in top gear. With the bike's riding posture(very akin to a sail), I'm really not sure you could hold on much faster than that. I do feel it has power to go faster though, since it revved out to it's limiter pretty quickly. At that speed I felt my butt starting to squish over the little hump on the seat and I was holding on for dear life to the bars. I held this for around 10 seconds, exited, and took the side streets back, hot rodding around cages and other bikes since it's a demo and I'm not out to conserve fuel. Still, on a 30 min ride the needle dropped about 1/8 tank, and at 3/4 indicated the display showed 97 miles to reserve(or left....screen showed "r 97" . So I guess similar to a gen 1.

After the highway "clean out", the idle became kind of unsteady...it surged between about 1000 and 1300 rpm. It wasn't like that initially. Maybe just because it was now how? Dunno. Also, the brakes were excellent. Better than the gen2. The lever had a solid initial bite and a good feel. Good for stock brakes, amazing for a Harley. The front brake seemed like it was actually intended to stop the bike rather than as an afterthought road safety requirement. The rear brake had similar good feel, and in tandem the bike is hauled down from speed with brutal strength. Very impressive. It was easy to handle in traffic. It doesn't roast the inside of your legs like the air cooled do.

The rear tire hooks up well. Very aggressive throttle/clutch play can break it loose for a rolling burnout but unless you're really trying, it puts the power down well. Here's the difference....I know the gen2 is objectively much faster than the Rod. But the fact you can use WOT in low gears and hang on make it feel like you're using everything the bike has, where on the max go past 5k and you're spinning everything away. It makes the bike feel like you're going faster. In short, it's more fun.

Plus, the Muscle I rode was bright yellow, and I have to say I actually thought it was a nice looking bike. The head and tail lights were futuristic and cool looking. The gauge cluster had an analog speedo in the center, 180* sweep tach to the left and 180* sweep fuel gauge (gasp!) to the right. The speedo's numbers are a bit small and hard to read at a glance but it's not awful, probably just take getting used to since the sweep starts at about the 10 o'clock position and 70mph is the direction about 120 would be on the Max/usual speedo. The speedo needle also "twitched" a lot and rarely stayed steady. Dunno if that's how it is or was just this bike. On the whole quality seemed nice....everything fit together well, no gaps, rattles, ect. Everything was solid and smooth.

At $15k, I think it's still a bit overpriced, though compared to a $15k "traditional" Harley, it's hugely better. I could see this bike with a few mods to the riding position and squeezing a bit more oomph from the engine being a really fun ride.

Highs:
+Very un-Harley-ish. Modern in every way.
+Happy, eager engine
+Great clutch and transmission
+Strong brakes.
+Sharp looks(especially in yellow in Muscle trim).
+Overall fit and finish was excellent.

"Iffy"
o- Riding posture. I like the low seat and wide handlebars, but the forward controls are too stretched out and put you in a "sail" position. Midsets would be better.

Lows
-Rev limiter kicks in very abruptly and harshly
-Could use shorter gearing...it's got the power for it.
-Fueling at idle was kind of unsteady

So here comes some blasphemy, but I'd have the Rod over the Max. Really. No, it's not as fast, but I found it overall more fun to ride. The Max is kind of a one-trick pony. It smokes the rear tire on command and goes like stink in a straight line, but the rest of it I found to be just mediocre. Aside from the power, it didn't wow me. The Rod does everything well.

Last edited:
Excellently written review..or was it a "nah nah ni nah nah" LOL. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

very well written ryan.

what about the vrod compared to your '97? which would you rather have?

Excellant Ride Report Ryan! I actually liked the Gen 2 seat, check out the FJR's seat that is very much the same, flat and firm.
I thought the Gen 2's brakes were way better than my '92's, but I guess that was before my 6 pot Tokico's. :biglaugh:
Looking forward to your impressioin of the Super Tenere.

I got rained out this morning but hope to get some more rides in tomorrow. I'll try to grab a spot on the Tenere and let you know how it is. I briefly sat on it and it's got a tall seat....until I put my weight on it and squished the suspension a bit, I wouldn't have been able to touch even both toes.

I saw Ducati was also here this year....it took KTM's spot. Should be interesting.

I'd have my '97 over a Rod, if for nothing else, my Max has a fair bit of sentimental value attached to it, and it is faster. Now if someone was like "have a new Vrod or a bone stock gen1"....I'd have the HD. It's other strengths make up for the lower power. And in terms of flat out speed it's kind of a wash since the Rod tops out at 125, but it seems like most Max's get speed wobble before they get there.

The biggest thing I don't like about my Max compared to a modern bike is how instable the chassis is. Bumps when cornering make the handlebars shake and the bike wiggle. It still sometimes gets speed wobble. I almost crashed the other day coasting to a stoplight without my hands on the bars, hit a small bump at like 30 and got instant massive headshake.

If I was to buy a bike tomorrow, I'd still have a Z1000.

And three more.....

'12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

The latest and greatest superbike. Surprisingly, the line at the Kawi trailer was pretty minimal(compared to massive lines at Ducati and BMW) despite them having 4 of the 14's for demo. I got on the first ride of the day.

It's a fairly large bike overall and once you're sitting on it. Wide and long, though most of the width is fairings, and it's not as heavy as you'd expect from the size. Fires right up to a very typical I-4 exhaust note. It's got a big analog tach and speedo, with a digital screen in the middle that shows, gear, power mode, traction control mode, time, engine temp, fuel, odo/trip meters, and your choice of ambient temp, volts, instant MPG, or average MPG. Easy to read, display is intuitive(simple rocker on left handlebar controls it). There's actually an "ECO" indicator that lights when you're driving conservatively. Clicking through, at 70mph on the highway it was indicating 39mpg, the "average"(keep in mind these are all demo rides), was 33. Not bad.

First engages with a rather hefty clunk/lurch, that didn't really get any smoother once it warmed up. The hydraulic clutch was about the same as a gen 1 in effort and offered good feel. Getting moving in first is quite simple without even touching the gas. It's got a LOT of torque. Out on the road the transmission has a fairly heavy shift and a very "solid" engagement. It's not clangy and bangy like HD cruiser boxes, but requires a firm kick. Not bad, just heavier than their Z1 and other modern bikes. 6 speed, and 70mph on the highway is a touch over 4 grand. Kawi gives the best demo rides, pull on the the highway and the guide mats it to 100+ so you can "feel the power". And boy oh boy does this bike have that in spades. It comes on smoother than the gen2, and feels faster. Once the needle hits 8 grand it feels like it's getting a shot of NOS, the RPMs practically jump to redline in 1-2-3. It's pretty incredible. This is "the" definition of a crotch rocket. It's got an absolutely brutal top end, but still with excellent torque, it's perfectly happy to lug around town at 1500rpm and smoothly accelerate onto the highway in top gear. I got it to about 105 (which took about 2 seconds of WOT acceleration) and when I backed off the engine was still picking up power, pulling harder and harder.

Handling was likewise excellent. The long wheelbase is actually quite wheelie-resistant(unless you really snap it in low gears). I'm not sure if the K-TRC traction control was hampering this, I got the front wheel a few inches up a couple times. It was on setting 1 with though I don't know what that means. Smooth was the name of the game like the engine. 600's have a bit quicker turn-in and are a bit more flickable, but this is probably the world's best canyon carver. The suspension soaks up frost heaves like a cadillac, yet tracks around corners like it's on a rail. This was the other surprise...the ride is surprisingly comfortable. Brakes, excellent, like all recent Kawi's I've ridden, though the rear brake pedal seems like it has a lot of travel to it.

Overall, a fantastic motorcycle. And it costs $5000 less than a gen 2($14,700 IIRC). I really like what Kawasaki's offering these days. I believe they're industry leading in performance and technology, and they're reasonably priced.

Highs
+ Brutally fast
+ Stops on a dime
+ Handles like it's on rails
+ Comfortable ride
+ Lots of high tech features that are easy to use.

Lows
-Gearbox could have a bit lighter action
-Gigantic dual exhaust cans sound boring and look stupid

'12 Victory Hammer S

The Hammer is the "muscle cruiser" of their lot, though every Victory shares the exact same 106ci (1730cc) air/oil cooled v twin, so I'm not sure what makes this one more "muscle" than any of the other solo cruisers. The posture tips a little more toward standard than cruiser, though your feet are still out in front. It's a nice looking bike, white with red racing stripes and just enough chrome to be tasteful. It's got fairly wide handlebars with a big analog tach and analog speedo front and center. The speedo has a LCD screen built into it that shows gear position, time, and your choice of a digital tach, odo, or trip meters(cycled by a little trigger button on the left grip)

The engine fired up easily(only say this since the HD cruisers seemed to pretty fussy, popping, kicking back, requiring multiple tries to get going), and it had a nice bark to the exhaust. Seemed loud for a stock exhaust, with a pretty typical v-twin sound. The cable driven clutch was on the heavy side. The transmission engaged with a firm clunk, but not as bad as older ones.

Out on the road the engine runs well, has smooth fueling and no popping on decel. Throttle response is quick, but not abrupt so it's easy to drive at low speeds in town. In first and second a boot full of gas yields a satisfying hustle, I'd put it about on par with the v-rod speed wise, though with better torque down low. Power shifting is not a good idea, it needs a very firm lift on the pedal, and when you roll of the gas it gives a big jerk of decel. Use the clutch for every shift. Still, the drivetrain is well done. You're not going to be surprising crotch rockets, but it's strong enough for a hoot or two between stoplights. I could not get it to break the rear tire loose with power, even with an aggressive clutch dump. So, it hooks up well.

Handling is good, but not exceptional. The vrod was better. It feels a bit sluggish on lean in and definitely prefers smooth, easy movements in and out of corners rather than a big push of countersteer. It will lean over if pushed, and tracks well around corners. Some bumps gave a bit of vibration in the fork while cornering, though not enough to be disconcerting. So, not bad, but not great either. Overall ride was fairly firm, but a bit short of "jarring". The seat was nice in firmness and shape, you were sitting on your butt, not the inside of your legs. Comfortable.

Brakes were likewise decent, with adequate power and a good feel. The rear brake was a bit touchy and quite strong. On the way back in traffic, the engine definitely was getting warm but still ran perfectly, EFI HDs I've ridden tend to get weak and rough when they're too hot. My only complaint is that the right side exhaust is very hot(no double-walls or trim pieces to shield it), and your right calf naturally wants to touch it when you put your feet down. Not a good idea, so you have to consciously "bow leg" it a bit to avoid touching it.

It's a lot of money for what you get. Considering you could buy a ZX14 and have a few grand of gas money left over for the cost of this, it doesn't seem like a very good value for money.

Highs:
+Well tuned engine
+Improved transmission
+Good ergonomics
+Good instrumentation

Lows:
- Unremarkable handling
- Exhaust sticks too far out the right side
- Expensive ($18,500)

And for fun.....since there wasn't a single person at the Kymco scooter trailer, me and a couple other guys I was talking with at the Kawi tent decided to take some. I did go into this with an open mind and not out just to bash scooters....but in reality this wasn't a good motorcycle by any standards.

'12 Kymco "Xciting" 500i

This is kind of halfway between a regular scooter and a maxi scooter. 500cc automatic. To ensure there is no possible chance you might look cool, Kymco makes you wear a bright orange vest with "DEMO RIDER" on the back. Anyway, the Taiwanese quality immediatly began to show. For it to start, the key has to be on, the brake pulled in, and the sidestand up. If you forget the sidestand, it will crank over but won't fire, rather than just not cranking at all. Once I realized this it started up and settled into a 2000rpm idle that was rather flatulent in nature. We set off, just roll on the gas and it takes off. The clutch engagement could be smoother. The ABS front brake tends to activate whenever you're going less than 5mph. Annoying.

Power....what power? This being the "hot" scooter with the 500 twin, I expected it to have at least a little punch to it. I used to ride a 500 Honda Magna, so I have some idea what a 500cc bike goes like. This isn't even remotely close to my "baby magna". It is S-L-O-W. There's no punch or pull of acceleration. Flooring it results in the farting getting louder and you trundling away at a moderate pace. If this was a snowmobile, I'd say it needed lighter weights in the primary since it seemed to bog the engine too much, didn't let it spin up enough. Being a scooter ride, the fastest I ever got was about 55. From 55, acceleration is quite modest, though I do suspect it would do 70-75 if persuaded. So, the drivetrain was unimpressive. The engine ran well enough, but the clutching could definitely be better.

The chassis blows. It shakes like a whore in church. The ride is harsh over bumps and the handlebars shake over any bump at all. In general the whole thing feels unstable and well, cheaply built. I wouldn't want to go much faster than 55 on this, especially if the road wasn't perfectly smooth. Hanging back before a decent curve, I went WOT into the corner at maybe 50mph, and just to be a dork leaned down and stuck my knee out and plowed it though. Hit a bump and my ass left the seat, the steering wiggled, and I decided not to do that anymore.

In addition to the ABS that's always on a low speed, the brakes were also wooden and weak. There was no feeling whatsoever in the lever and the rear brake didn't seem to do much of anything. Coming down from "speed" takes a very firm grip and takes a lot longer than you'd expect.

It cost like $4000, you can buy a nice used bike for that. In fact my Max only cost a bit more than that.

Highs
+ It's a scooter with a tach
+ Not as dorky looking as some scooters
+ Engine ran well

Lows
- Fantastically slow
- Terrible brakes, flawed ABS system
- Unstable chassis very prone to headshake
- Boggy clutching setup
- Sounds like a poorly running diesel tractor

So....the low cost made-in-Taiwan option still has some noticeable compromises to beat Honda scooters price point.

Brian, tomorrow I'll try to grab a ride on the Tenere for you. I wanted to try the Diavel(that's all Ducati brought), but there was a huge line, which I heard started at like 5am, and they were full by the time I had signed up for Kawi. Apparently each "Ducati Ride Experience" lasts an hour, with a 15 minute "orientation" sales pitch, and then a longish 45 minute ride. Which I heard was at a spirited pace. You can definietly tell Ducati is Italian...there's a "Caffe" coffee bar in the tent, hot girls standing around the bikes to take your picture with, and the salespeople are very fashionably dressed and wearing $400 sunglasses.

did you feel like you were a sail at all on the hammer? i did. i'm not that tall, 5'10" and my arms are 'shorter' but i felt like i was reaching a bit. not as bad as my pops m109r though

i was thorougly disappointed with the exhaust note and how 'tame' and 'loose' the bike kinda sounded.

beautiful bike to look at while its off tho.

Yeah, I could see the riding posture being tiring for sustained high speed riding. I think the bike I was on had some sort of aftermarket exhaust....it seemed way too loud for a stocker. It sounded OK, pretty much like any other air cooled vtwin.

And two more....

'12 Yamaha Super Tenere (pronounced ten-er-eh)

(as promised Brian!)

First thing, this bike is too damn tall for my rather short stature of 5-8. I'm on tippy toes at stoplights, and at least to me, the whole bike feels rather topheavy. Low speed riding (10mph or less) is pretty tricky, the bike kind of wants to fall to one side or the other.

Out on the road, the 1200cc parallel twin engine has considerable low end grunt, it's a torque monster. Rev it out and it has a good, though short lived hustle from about 5000 to it's redline of 7750. The meat of the torque is in the 3-5k range, and it's 6 speed gearbox helps you keep it in this happy zone. Past 4500 or so vibes start to creep into the handlebars and seat. It's not the smoothest motor ever, as parallel twins rarely are, and does shake in protest when loaded up in a high gear. Still, this bike is no slouch. It gets up and sprints to 80 in no time. The transmission shifts well and neutral is easy to find.

The dash cluster seems to have been designed with the visually impaired in mind. The digital speedometer numbers are huge. You also get a digital bar gas gauge, analog tach, clock, odo/trip meter, and your choice of instant MPG, average MPG, ambient temp, or engine temp. Like all digital Yamaha speedometers, it seems to be about 5% or more optimistic. A walking pace in the parking lot is 10mph indicated. According to the display, a 50mph cruise in 6th gear(which still has remarkable roll-on power) was returning mileage in the low 50's. Nice. For best results keep in in that 3000+ sweet range, though a 6th gear roll on from 2k still resulted in a decent acceleration(though not without considerable vibration from the motor).

Handling is steady, though not particularly quick. I do believe this is a rather top-heavy bike. It tips into a corner eagerly, but flicking it side to side is rather sluggish. The ride is average. It's not superbly comfortable, but it's not jarring either. While this is billed as an "adventure" bike, I would not want to take this off pavement. Taller riders may have an easier time controlling this bike, but it's not a real lightweight and does not seem suited to anything more than an occasional patch of dirt road. The seat is fairly sloped downward toward the tank, enough so that when you hit bumps you slide forward until your nuts are firmly pressed into the tank.

Brakes were good, better than the Gen 2. The front had decent feel and good power, though not up to par with the Kawi's I rode(which to me are superb). The rear brake was effective, but felt more like an on-off switch. There's lots of travel with no effect, then a tiny bit more results in almost locking the back.

The Tenere also has "Sport" and "Touring" power modes. Sport is the full monty. Touring gives a softer throttle response and to me, it felt like only around 75% of maximum power. Full throttle roll ons felt noticeably weaker in touring mode, though for moderate riding, the touring mode smooths out the gap between engine braking and acceleration.

I'd never buy one because I'm too short. It'd have to be lowered a good 2" before I'd feel comfortable on it. Barring issues I personally had, this feels like a good bike. I haven't ridden any other adventure type touring bikes so I don't have any comparison, but I didn't have any major objections to how the bike ran or rode. The motor was very torquey and could be fast if wound out at the expense of some vibration. I could see this subtle vibration, which would be around 85+ in top gear being numbing and annoying on extended rides.

Highs:
+ Torque monster engine
+ Excellent fueling
+ Good transmission
+ Nice instrumentation

Lows
- Too tall for shorter riders
- Engine vibration
- Overall top-heavy feeling
- Seat is too sharply angled

And, while I was waiting, I decided to take the bike that I have previously enjoyed bagging on....a Harley 883. It was one of the few bikes just sitting in the H-D demo lot, so I showed them my registration ticket from a couple days ago and hopped on for a ride.

'12 Harley SuperLow 883

This was the "SuperLow" model, and boy, they're not kidding. Even I can easily flat-foot this. It feels pretty light and while I won't say it's agile, it's not bad. The EFI worked well and did not get finicky when hot, like the XR I rode last year did. The engine had the typical H-D vibration at idle, though in the "normal" RPM range it was smooth enough. Push it a bit harder( no tach) and vibes come back strongly, more than 80 or so MPH on the highway. Push it farther and it smooths back out until the rev limiter kicks in. As mentioned H-D's are "free rides", and according to the speedo, rev limiter in 5th gear is 108mph. Though I strongly doubt it's accuracy, since I was behind a tractor trailer going up a grade and was going 80 indicated. Though it did have plenty of power to keep up with highway traffic up grades. At 75mph passing power was pretty limited, since downshifting to 4th put you nearly at the limiter, you had to leave it in 5th and wait for it to pick up.

1st gear is very tall and the clutch light, so it's easy to run around town. Dumping the clutch in first can actually chirp the tire a bit and give a decent acceleration. It's not a fast bike, but it's better than expected. Wish it had a tach. Again, like the v-rod, the brakes were surprisingly good. The front had very good feel and adequate power from the single front disc. Paired with the back and it had good stopping power.

As for the "super low"....this is by far the lowest ground clearance ever. Anything but the most gentle turn has the pegs scraping. Taking an on ramp at 10 above the "recommended" speed touched the pegs, then slightly farther and the frame was dragging. I actually had a bit of an oh shit moment since I came into a corner hot leaned over, hit the frame, and got that odd feeling that now I was pivoting the tires off the ground and the bike just would not turn any faster. I got a lot of looks from the scraping noise and presumably sparks flying off the frame and pegs..."who's this asshole grinding his bike away on the road?" lol. Wonder if they noticed the "manufacturer" plate on it. Though even at it's extreme cornering limits, it was stable in corners, and had no hints of wobble up to the 108mph indicated top speed. Maybe it's just me, but Harleys have come a long way in the last few years. I wouldn't buy one, but they're not as lousy as some older ones I've driven.

Highs:
+ Not as slow as expected. Tall gearing helps the small twin get around.
+ Excellent EFI fueling
+ Comfortable seat and ergonomics. Definitely designed for women/smaller stature riders

Lows:
- Neutral was finicky to find
- Questionable speedo accuracy
- Very limited instrumentation. Analog speedo and odo/trip. That's it.
- Exceptionally limited ground clearance. I used about 1/2 the peg feeler in a 20 minute ride. Granted, I was trying to drag it a lot.

When I got back I discreetly took a peek and saw I had sanded a nice flat spot in the frame on both sides. haha.

Back