Misadventures in Rifle Building. New CMMG 22 Sniper Rifle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
This is for the "Gun Guys":clapping:

The parts CMMG sent me are for the Absolute Most Radical / Sick / Awesome AR-22 design I've seen to date. See first picture below.

This adventure all starts with CMMG sending individual parts for my testing, which normally wouldn't be a problem. CMMG didn't send a handguard, not a big deal either. I didn't have a handguard readily available and wanted some time to think about the length I wanted. Initially I set the rifle up without one, using just a delta pack barrel nut to get some preliminary shooting results. Those results are listed farther down in this Post. No Problem so far. I didn't worry about gas tube alignment, just made it as hand tight as I could with a strap wrench. The rifle did quite well so I started looking at handguard options. Ron Williams told me he had some UTG / Leapers in 13", Made in the USA. Amazingly.. I drove down to his shop and liked the rail other than the turtle shell rail covers that come with it. They work fine on the bottom rail but suck on the side and top rails I've got boxes of them in one closet. I really didn't think about the rail mounting system much, it looked pretty cool even though it doesn't have a provision for an end cap. I really like the clean look of end caps. The rail is a UTG / Leapers Pro, 13", Model 4/15, MTU006...

I generally Love to build my AR's. However, several months ago my wife and I decided to organize the garage to make all the bikes fit and be able to move...:rofl_200:. Well everyone knows what happens then.:bang head: Although I have way more room and everything's pretty and well organized it's a matter of where did it get organized too? I set the digital drill press, lathe and table jig saw up on my new bench. No more room. Figured I'd use the Oak Vise on the end of the bench for a while so I didn't set up my Big Vise or the bench grinder. Also figured I could use a drill and wheel for grinding.
icon_smile_blackeye.gif
Both Wrong Answers....

Friday, I started out trying my already modified clamshell to hold the ambidextrous upper receiver while tightening the rail systems barrel nut. NOT. To accomplish the ambidextrous capability, the receiver won't fit in the shell.. Plan B, heavy leather around the barrel and tighten the barrel nut in the Oak Vise. Well the barrel turned in the vise no matter how hard I tried to clamp down. Had my wife hold the barrel at one end with a rubber mat and a rag and I held the receiver by hand to gain more traction. I'd noticed that this handguard has to have the gas tube aligned for the rail to mount straight. We got it within about 2 minutes of being aligned but no matter how hard we tried, that was all she wrote. I knew I had to find the big vise and set it up but we were both worn out at that point from the struggle.

Went back at it Saturday. Found the vise and C-Clamped it temporarily to a spare end table. Used the piece of leather and got the barrel nut aligned quite easily. Went back in the house to finish installing the rail retention / alignment screws. Oops, the screw heads are too wide to go past the sides of this receiver. Back to the garage, dig the bench grinder out and I temporarily C-Clamp mounted it to a wooden stool. Put the screws in my battery powered drill and turned the sides of the heads down equally. Used a BC Bluing Pen to refinish and finally done.

I had an ad I wanted to put up on the board at the range so I figured I'd put the upper on an open lower Sunday. I also figured I could try to come up with enough rail covers for the monster rail too. Did I mention we reorganized the gun room and all my parts too? I finished up Sunday night, figuring I could shoot Monday Night. The range is always open on Holidays. Guess what I was told when I called the Range Master (Brother Ed) Monday Morning... They decided to close on Holidays . Crap.....

Can't decide if I like the look or want to go with another color or lower set up...? I know I'll Love the basic rifle for it's intended purpose which is from the bench, match shooting.. At 9-3/4 lbs I won't be carrying it for long. Should be Sniper Capable at 22 LR Ranges. With it's Match Chamber, a little ammo finicky but 1/4" ish groups @ 25 yards with bulk ammo and this still new barrel has impressed me.

Tonight there's matches and the rest of my week is screwed up too. So I'll have to wait on Sunday when RMW and I go shooting. I think everyone has this kind of bad week once in a while.... I sure could use a Vacation....
icon_smile_blackeye.gif

50YARDDIMETARGET.jpg

TangoBuildRightSide.jpg

TangoBuildLeftSide.jpg

TangoBuildAngledView.jpg

Where can I get one of these? Sure looks like everything turned out nice.

BTW always loved your Dodge. You've had it forever seems.

CMMG will have it on the market eventually. We're in Field Testing right now. Accuracy so far is great. There's even been talk about Special Ops picking this one up... For now, there are only 5 in existance.:confused2:

Back