Miss fire / popping at idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtotiger1

Reaction score
So i just took off my carbs last night and cleaner them, everything looked good and is now spot on, after re assembling the bike, i re synced the carbs and now when the bike idles it seems to miss fire at idle, more than usual, she seems to ride ok, but its a distinct pop and miss fire at idle from both exhaust pipes, any ideas? Is it ignition now?

Did you remove the A/F screws? If so, did you re-install them correctly with the washer/spring/o-ring.

What are they set at?

If the pilots are definitely clear you may just need to richen up (counter clock wise) the A/F screws a bit.

Air leaks? Make sure the carbs are FULLY seated in the rubber boots below. Make sure the airbox is fully seated on the carbs. No cracks in the boots. Vacuum advance hose is properly connect to carbs, no pin holes in it. Make sure the vent tubes are properly routed to the top of the box with no kinks.

Checked for air leaks , looks good, all seated and tight, a/f screws are at 3.0 turns and yes af scews were removed and cleaned and in right order, oring / washer / spring / screw , i have tried to richen 1/2 turn , and lean 1/2 turn not much difference -- seems like almost a ignition miss? Any ideas

Why did you take off and clean the carbs in the first place?
If the ignition system was fine before (i.e., no missing or popping), it's doubtful anything is wrong now.
What did you do to overhaul the carbs? Completely tear them down? If so, some of the carburation gurus on this forum may be able to suggest some reasons why they are not performing up to par, now.
Cheers, and good luck

Back