Missing Thunder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Well found out from PCW that bike will be finished on the 28th :bang head: so looks like I will have to miss Thunder this year. Now I'm thinking about the UFO meet in July. Is this still on? Have'nt seen people talking it up lately.

That sucks, but I know where you are...:bang head:

As for Ohio... Not sure... I'm sure Jon will puss out on us all.

Chris

I have had plenty of friends that have had thier engines delivered late from PCW. One took almost 2 years I think (I know the first engine was damaged in shipping and had to be redone). I don't know if they gave you a different date before but I hope they stick to this date (I wouldn't hold your breath).

I am very busy myself and have been having troubles keeping the dates i want so it happens to us all. I'll be there in July so even if he punks out it will still be fun with all that are planning on being there.

Sean

No delivery date was promised..there was about a month delay in getting some powdercoating done..John's been very responsive throughout the whole process..in a way it's OK because there are some other things I wanted to do when I get it back so I won't have to rush that. Looks like I'll set my sights on OH

Got the confirmation..bike is done and ready to be picked up. Another week for shipping. Put in the Venture tranny so it does 70MPH at 3500RPM or about 130 MPH at 6000RPM. (Don't know if this is with the VMAX or Venture rear diff)

Got the confirmation..bike is done and ready to be picked up. Another week for shipping. Put in the Venture tranny so it does 70MPH at 3500RPM or about 130 MPH at 6000RPM. (Don't know if this is with the VMAX or Venture rear diff)

Are you flying up and riding it home?

No

Having it trucked down. Don't want to do high crusing speeds on the new engine for 8 hours

Finally got it back. I have to get used to the new powdercoat..i wish I would have thought about using contrasting paint around the cylinder fins..looks a bit odd with no distinction there, maybe i can remedy this myself. Gearing feels different. Have to swap out the venture rear and go back to the VMAX rear to start things off.

Sounds like the Royal Star fifth gear we came up with is what they installed. They got thier first look at one a few years ago when they changed Rick Rash's 1261 engine over to the 1500 he currently has.

Makes it nice to cruise with!

Sean

Sean

I think he did the full venture tranny not just fifth (there are some various VMAX bits to make it work). I now may want some black chrome stuff from you..for some contrast on the engine

Yea, it is pretty stuff. I don't keep much of it on hand but I have plenty of cores I can send in so you don't have downtime.

When I convert to Venture transmissions I normally have to change out to a Vmax 2-3 gear as well as either Vmax or Royal Star fifth gears. The RS gears are the only ones that will bring the ratio down that much like you noticed.

Sean

I checked the venture 1300 that I have.It has a lower 1st and higher 5th.2nd 3rd and 4th are the same as vmax.

At least with the 1986 that I bought.I have heard that not all years are the same.

That is probably completely different. There are many different ratios of Venture transmissions. The 99 Royal Star Tour Deluxe is the one I think we use the fifth gears from. There are 4 different models of royal star that year which use 3 different transmissions. There is a Royal Star Venture model which is different and the gearing would be all kinds of jacked up.

You can goto the Yamah-Motor site and compare the ratios to find out what you ended up with. You're going to need to know what they did to know for sure.

Sean

Did he break it in on the dyno then?

Let's hear you're take on it... Stupid powerful? :ummm:

Shawn, you'll need to replace the 2-3 gear as well as the fifth gears to get it to Vmax type dogs. The ventures and 85 vmax engines all came with the same type of 2nd gear engagement system. They work ok for the most part but you'll eventually see a failure just like the 85's.

Sean

4G

Yes he did runs on the dyno. 170hp and 117 torque. Said he could get more if went with open stacks (have filters on at the moment). I just got it back like an hour ago so I have'nt opened it up yet..just met the truck who dropped it off during lunch break and have just taken it back to work.
I will confirm if its complete 04 venture gears or mixed.

Sean what are you doing in terms of the excess heat? PCW said bigger rad was not needed. When sitting a a light for 5 min after bike is warmed up, temp is creeping up..past mid point. I turn manual fan on but don't know if this will help if traffic is really bad. When is it time to shut down to cool off...at redline? I'll have to test this to see what my time limit is in heavy traffic. Also does Water Wetter or Engine ice work better than Toyota Red?
Vibration seems to have noticeably increased (I do have solid mounts which may be a factor). Power does'nt seem to let up but have'nt gone WOT yet.
Color is taking getting used to...is more nickel in color than "chrome" ..I think I'll have to accent with black now for a bit more contrast.

Attachments

• 1570.jpg
    1570.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
Mine works well when moving but does get hot when sitting. I may end up making a radiator for it. You can get well into the red before it's a real issue.

Sean

Latest posts

Back