"modern medicine''

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well today is the wake for my dad , i know i'm going to fall apart when i see some of the people that i haven't seen in a long time , people i grew up with , that were a big part of my younger life that were also a big part of my dads life also ! He knew so many people & was involved in so many things , i wouldn't dought that tonight at the fire department service that there might be 3-4-maybe 500 people ! Then tomorrow morning they will line the streets with fire trucks , the ladder trucks will be raised , flying gigantic american flags hanging from the baskets , so when the hearse leaves with my dad , it will drive under the ladder trucks like a tunnel , should be beautiful !

sounds proper and fitting.... my thoughts go out w/ya today...

well today is the wake for my dad , i know i'm going to fall apart when i see some of the people that i haven't seen in a long time , people i grew up with , that were a big part of my younger life that were also a big part of my dads life also ! He knew so many people & was involved in so many things , i wouldn't dought that tonight at the fire department service that there might be 3-4-maybe 500 people ! Then tomorrow morning they will line the streets with fire trucks , the ladder trucks will be raised , flying gigantic american flags hanging from the baskets , so when the hearse leaves with my dad , it will drive under the ladder trucks like a tunnel , should be beautiful !

Sounds beautiful........

Laugh......cry......remember.....most important....FEEL.....

Don't try to be a stone......

Try not to be a blithering idiot either.....

Talk to ya later

Man I just caught this Thread and I am sorry I wasnt ignoring you and everything that you have been through I just didnt read much into modern medicine since I fucking hate doctors! So I just want to say a few words I cant say I know exactly what you are going through but I been down this road when I lost my Dad back in June of 2007.
My father was a Dad to me. Any man can be a father but it takes a special man to be a Dad, if this makes sense to you then you are doing your part for your children.
My Dad suffered a bad heart attack in Christmas Eve of 1990, over the yrs he has had a few more. He wouldnt ever slow down and would basically over work his heart until the last year of his life when basically the doctor told him that he had only 13% of his heart when a man at his age should have 65%-75%.. He pushed himself all the way to his last day. Just 3 weeks before his heart just stopped he was out planting tomato plants, basically dig for 3 minutes sit down catch his breath for 10 and start digging again. My Dad was a strong man and was a great dad and roll model to me. I drove up to PA to see him for my birthday which was June 1st and I stayed with him for a week. He then passed away a week and half later.
Its the worst pain I felt when I got that phone call on a Tuesday morning at 11 AM and I knew what it was when I seen the 717 area code..
Some will tell you the pain will go away in time, I am here to tell you by which it sounds you were close to your Dad as I was to mine.. IT DOESNT GO AWAY!! I still have dreams that my Dad isnt gone and he tells me he is alive and I am happy and I wake up in tears at times,, Yeah I cry when It comes to love of a family member I am human. Its rough man, but the only advice I can give you is, look at photos, remember times as far back as you can from when you were a lil coprunner running from the police on your big wheel as you were flipping off them NJ pigs.. LOL ! All serious man, hang in there, and life doesnt last forever and thats why they call today present, its a present and enjoy it !!

had to make the funeral arrangements today , talk about something you cant prepare for ! Man my head is all over the place ! One minute i'm laughing , the next i'm crying ! I'm trying to keep my family laughing !

I just saw this Tim. Your father was a good man. When you start feeling bad, remember that he's in a better place and not suffering anymore.

Rest In Piece Marvin.

WELL ITS BEEN 5 WEEKS SINCE MY DAD HAS PASSED , NOW I CAN TALK ABOUT IT . THE FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICE WAS AWESOME ! AND THEY HAD THE " HONOR GUARD " DURING THE ENTIRE WAKE , THIS IS WHEN 2 FIRE FIGHTERS STAND ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE CASKET , ALL DRESSED IN CLASS "A" UNIFORM & HOLD CHROME AXES & DON'T MOVE , SMILE , OR DO ANYTHING , JUST STAND STILL , IT WAS AWESOME ! ( THEY SWITCH GUYS EVERY 15 MINUTES ) , THERE WERE OVER 400 + PEOPLE & FIREFIGHTERS & TRUCKS FROM 3 DIFFERENT TOWNS ! I WAS PRETTY GOOD UNTIL 8:30 PM. WHEN THE ACTUAL FIRE SERVICE STARTED ! SITTING THERE IN FRONT WHILE A LIFE LONG FAMILY FRIEND & FIREFIGHTER READ A EULOGY THAT HE WROTE HIMSELF ! IT WAS LIKE I WAS DREAMING , ALMOST LIKE I WAS FADING IN & OUT OF WHAT WAS REAL & WHAT WAS NOT ! ( FOR LACK OF A BETTER WAY TO EXPLAIN IT ) . THE NEXT MORNING THEY HAD WHAT IS CALLED HIS LAST CALL . THEY SET UP OUR LADDER TRUCK & OUR CLOSEST MUTUAL-AID COMPANY'S LADDER TRUCK IN FRONT OF OUR FIREHOUSE , FULLY EXTENDED , FLYING A HUGE AMERICAN FLAG ! THE HEARSE PULLS UNDER THE LADDERS & STOPS , THEY PUT OUT THE TONES OVER THE PAGERS & IT SAYS THIS IS MARVIN "O" BARRETT'S LAST CALL ! THEN THE FIRE WHISTLES BLOW FULL BORE & WIND DOWN LIKE AN OLD FIRE TRUCK SIREN , IT TOOK LIKE 5 MINUTES TO STOP , I WISHED IT WOULD NEVER END ! I NEW THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I WOULD BE THAT CLOSE TO MY FATHER ! THEN THE HEARSE PULLED AWAY TO GO TO THE CREMATORIUM . EVEN AFTER THE SIREN STOPPED NOBODY MOVED AT ALL , FINALLY I FIGURED OUT , THEY WERE WAITING FOR ME ! I THOUGHT WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SHOWING OF RESPECT FOR MY FATHER OVER THE THE LAST 24 HOURS FROM EVERYONE ! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL ! ITS STILL SINKING IN ! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR THEIR SUPPORT ! I LOVE YOU GUYS !...:punk:

WELL ITS BEEN 5 WEEKS SINCE MY DAD HAS PASSED , NOW I CAN TALK ABOUT IT . THE FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICE WAS AWESOME ! AND THEY HAD THE " HONOR GUARD " DURING THE ENTIRE WAKE , THIS IS WHEN 2 FIRE FIGHTERS STAND ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE CASKET , ALL DRESSED IN CLASS "A" UNIFORM & HOLD CHROME AXES & DON'T MOVE , SMILE , OR DO ANYTHING , JUST STAND STILL , IT WAS AWESOME ! ( THEY SWITCH GUYS EVERY 15 MINUTES ) , THERE WERE OVER 400 + PEOPLE & FIREFIGHTERS & TRUCKS FROM 3 DIFFERENT TOWNS ! I WAS PRETTY GOOD UNTIL 8:30 PM. WHEN THE ACTUAL FIRE SERVICE STARTED ! SITTING THERE IN FRONT WHILE A LIFE LONG FAMILY FRIEND & FIREFIGHTER READ A EULOGY THAT HE WROTE HIMSELF ! IT WAS LIKE I WAS DREAMING , ALMOST LIKE I WAS FADING IN & OUT OF WHAT WAS REAL & WHAT WAS NOT ! ( FOR LACK OF A BETTER WAY TO EXPLAIN IT ) . THE NEXT MORNING THEY HAD WHAT IS CALLED HIS LAST CALL . THEY SET UP OUR LADDER TRUCK & OUR CLOSEST MUTUAL-AID COMPANY'S LADDER TRUCK IN FRONT OF OUR FIREHOUSE , FULLY EXTENDED , FLYING A HUGE AMERICAN FLAG ! THE HEARSE PULLS UNDER THE LADDERS & STOPS , THEY PUT OUT THE TONES OVER THE PAGERS & IT SAYS THIS IS MARVIN "O" BARRETT'S LAST CALL ! THEN THE FIRE WHISTLES BLOW FULL BORE & WIND DOWN LIKE AN OLD FIRE TRUCK SIREN , IT TOOK LIKE 5 MINUTES TO STOP , I WISHED IT WOULD NEVER END ! I NEW THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I WOULD BE THAT CLOSE TO MY FATHER ! THEN THE HEARSE PULLED AWAY TO GO TO THE CREMATORIUM . EVEN AFTER THE SIREN STOPPED NOBODY MOVED AT ALL , FINALLY I FIGURED OUT , THEY WERE WAITING FOR ME ! I THOUGHT WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SHOWING OF RESPECT FOR MY FATHER OVER THE THE LAST 24 HOURS FROM EVERYONE ! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL ! ITS STILL SINKING IN ! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR THEIR SUPPORT ! I LOVE YOU GUYS !...:punk:

incredible story man... had chills just thinkin about it... my wishes go out to you...

Right back at ya brother!! Glad you're coming through the 'other side' of the whole deal!

Hey Tim, that was a beautiful send off for your Dad and sounds well deserved also. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings during your difficult situation.

Take good care of your Mom. She needs her family support now more than ever.

Mike

hey tim, that was a beautiful send off for your dad and sounds well deserved also. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings during your difficult situation.

take good care of your mom. she needs her family support now more than ever.

Mike
she say's its a lot harder then she thought it was going to be ! We were crying on the phone the other night ! It sucks !

being quite emotional myself at the moment, that was really poignant.

My thoughts are with you and your mum this Easter. Hang in there he's looking back at you smiling.

hey tim, that was a beautiful send off for your dad and sounds well deserved also. thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings during your difficult situation.

take good care of your mom. She needs her family support now more than ever.

Mike
all of you guy's helped me more then i can explain ! So many of you have already been though this & it helped a lot , all the support that i got ! Thank you everyone !

just got my fathers ashes back today . Not sure what to do with them . I think i'm going to get an urn to put them in ! I don't want to spread them around somewhere & regret doing it ! This way it'll give me time to think about it ! Does that sound wright ?

just got my fathers ashes back today . Not sure what to do with them . I think i'm going to get an urn to put them in ! I don't want to spread them around somewhere & regret doing it ! This way it'll give me time to think about it ! Does that sound wright ?

Think you're right to hold onto the ashes for now Tim. Sooner or later an idea will come up on how to handle them and it'll feel just right to you.

My take on it would be to spread them, finding somewhere in nature my dad really loved and returning ashes to ashes. It's just the way I've always felt with this, to me it's like a final goodbye, a way of letting go. But of course, you just do what feel right for you and your mum Tim.

MY MOTHER CAME OVER LAST NIGHT WITH A BOX OF PATCHES THAT MY FATHER HAD ACQUIRED OVER THE YEARS FROM BEING A FIREFIGHTER & SOME WERE FROM WHEN I WAS RACING MY FIRST STOCK CAR BACK IN 1985-1986 , WHAT AN EMPTY FEELING !:sad2:

Wow just read through this post

i am very sorry for your loss

we have been struck by cancer 4 times in the last 12 months in my family...

All are in various states of treatment and recovery

it keeps getting closer and closer to home

CR, I'm sorry I had never noticed this thread before today. I'm very sorry for your loss. What an ordeal for your father and your family. Prayers are with you guys.

wow just read through this post

i am very sorry for your loss

we have been struck by cancer 4 times in the last 12 months in my family...

All are in various states of treatment and recovery

it keeps getting closer and closer to home
sorry to hear that , i can't imagine four family members with cancer , i can't give you any worth while advice , so i won't . the only thing i can tell you is , witnessing This disease will bring you to places emotionally , that you have never been before , and in my opinion , know one can ever be prepared to go !

Sounds absolutely right.....

Do what is right for you and your family......

Take the time......

We put up my father's headstone a couple of months ago.....

We took our time....with cremation you have it......to pick the spot.....the date....everything.....so it would be done RIGHT.....as he deserved.....

Just my $0.02.......

My eyes are tearing as I type this.....gotta go

Latest posts

Back