More Carb problems, Mixture Screws???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85Max

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been gone for awhile, wife is nine months pregnant and had me working like a dog on the house before the baby comes.

Here what's up, rebuilt my carbs end of June, ran good. Let the bike sit for 2-3 weeks, took it for a little ride and it wouldn't run right unless the choke was on (similar to when I first bought the bike and Mark helped me with rebuild tips) but at least it ran this time.

Now I can't even accelerate unless the chokes on and it dies when you try to put it in gear.

I wonder if the carbs got dirty again. (Failed to change the fuel filter)

Here are a few things I noticed when rebuilding.

1 coasting enrichment valve had small crack, could this be causing the problem.

Also when I checked the mixture screws they were all very different, like from 2 to 7 turns out. Brass plugs were still in so I assume that is the factory settings. I didn't mess with them, but how do I properly set them.

Hi guys,

Been gone for awhile, wife is nine months pregnant and had me working like a dog on the house before the baby comes.

Here what's up, rebuilt my carbs end of June, ran good. Let the bike sit for 2-3 weeks, took it for a little ride and it wouldn't run right unless the choke was on (similar to when I first bought the bike and Mark helped me with rebuild tips) but at least it ran this time.

Now I can't even accelerate unless the chokes on and it dies when you try to put it in gear.

I wonder if the carbs got dirty again. (Failed to change the fuel filter)

Here are a few things I noticed when rebuilding.

1 coasting enrichment valve had small crack, could this be causing the problem.

Also when I checked the mixture screws they were all very different, like from 2 to 7 turns out. Brass plugs were still in so I assume that is the factory settings. I didn't mess with them, but how do I properly set them.

I would turn all four mixture screws all the way out and do the Peashooter. Website with that info is in the VMF Links page under Precision Shims.

Next, sync carbs. Then, work on one screw at a time. Turn it all the way in. Make sure the engine tone changes...sounds like a dropped cylinder. If nothing happens, either the pilot circuit is plugged or you're way out of sync. Now, turn the screw out slowly until engine tone recovers and turn an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Now, do the other 3 carbs. Re-sync and make sure you right down what each screw is.

Mark

I cant set the screws that way....1/2 my hearing is gone from listening to all the females in the house bitch (I heard that after 15 yrs of hearing females bitch all the time, your ears actually start to bleed before you lose your hearing 100%)

I cant set the screws that way....1/2 my hearing is gone from listening to all the females in the house bitch (I heard that after 15 yrs of hearing females bitch all the time, your ears actually start to bleed before you lose your hearing 100%)

:surprise: :clapping:

Okay,

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a synch gauge. Cleaned carbs last night, filter was filthy (replaced). That didn't help.

I know the Carbtune seems to be a favorite, I just don't want to wait for it to come from oversees (website is in England)

Has anyone used the Motion Pro SyncPro? What is the best synch tool and where can you get one. Dealers here in Northern VA don't carry them, of course they want to do the work.

I may make a manometer tonight and try to get them in the ballpark. Also going to replace the orings on the mixture screws.

One last question. Previous owner put after market exhaust on.(SuperTrapp) How will the effect the carb?

Okay,

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a synch gauge. Cleaned carbs last night, filter was filthy (replaced). That didn't help.

I know the Carbtune seems to be a favorite, I just don't want to wait for it to come from oversees (website is in England)

Has anyone used the Motion Pro SyncPro? What is the best synch tool and where can you get one. Dealers here in Northern VA don't carry them, of course they want to do the work.

I may make a manometer tonight and try to get them in the ballpark. Also going to replace the orings on the mixture screws.

One last question. Previous owner put after market exhaust on.(SuperTrapp) How will the effect the carb?

I ordered my Carbtune in June and it was here in KY in just 4 days. They ship them out every day via rocket ship!

:cheers:

Neil

Supertrapps will run fine with stock carbs/jetting. You'll probably have to adjust mixture screws a tad.

Mark

Hey Neil,

How do you like your Carbtune?

J

Well worth the money and much easier than trying to make up a system (or borrow mercury sticks). I've only synched with it one time as a learning experience, and it was easy. Just read the instructions carefully and cut the hoses and assemble it like they say. If you have any questions during assembly just ask here and someone will be glad to chime in!

:cheers:

Neil

I think I may have stumbled on to something.
Synced the carbs tonight. Bike at least idles now.
Was adjusting the mixture screws and noticed Carb 1 (left rear) would not drop off when I turned the screw all the way in, and I totally removed the mixture screw while it was running and the was no difference. What does that mean?

Also, I pulled the hose from my sync gauge off carb 1 while it was running and there was no change in the engine, when I pull the hoses off the other carbs the engine runs ruff and shuts off in some cases. Does this mean anything?

Oh one more thing, some times I hear a clunk when I start it up, could that be timing?

I'm totally stumped. Any advise would help. I just want to ride.

J

Last edited:
Hello,

I need some advice.

Based off my finding in the previous post I've come to the conclusion I'm getting litte if no fuel to carb 1. I did a few things to test this theory, sprayed carb cleaner down the carb and idle increase on carb 1, bogged on other carbs; also backed off the sync screw totally on carb 1 and wiggled it while running and there was no difference in the idle.

I just shotgunned it and tried loosening all choke screws except for carb 1 and squirting Seafoam in the choke, no difference. Guess I'm going to have to clean the jet block again!? Unless you have a better idea.

Jason

Last edited:
Back