More Vmax Engine Knock Videos

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
:bang head:

Here are some vids of my motor knocking sound. I think its a wrist pin or a rod bearing. But before I do something dumb, expensive, and time consuming I thought I'd throw this out here for you guys to take a look at, and see if you have any suggestions. the noise is always there, has a double tap on the wind down to idle after a throttle burp to 2K rpm. Seems like it is coming from the number 3 cylinder. I can't say I hear it under WOT but, I can't hear anything at WOT except the exhaust. I do hear it when cruising at 3-4K

2 weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrM0-ukao2w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07af85OdPZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

TIA

Damien

My 89 makes terrible noises when I run it in the garage or next to the closed garage door. My 94 is very quiet when compared. You'll need a more professional ear than mine. Sounds like my 89 to me. I'm not touching a thing on it. It just dyno'd at 126.02 and 83.63. Maybe one of the motor builders will have an answer for you. Good Luck..

Sounds more like a Tick than a Knock to me. Perhaps that is just what my ear focused on. Of course a tick may be valvetrain and a knock down low. Hope it's valve train Bro. Obviously you don't want it to go too long undiagnosed. Just curious, you didn't change oils recently have you?

Try your scope on the individual valve covers, find the cylinder with loudest tick, then run the bike with that plug wire pulled. Reply with changes in noise, if any.

And by the way - beautiful Max. Great blacked-out look.

It sounded like a double tick to me, not a knock.
PATMAX you didn't change oils recently have you?
If you changed oil it could have something to do with your noise, I am not motor builder so hopefully one of them will lay their words of wisdom to your sound, but you have a 'sound'.
You have a sweat looking bike there by the way, the 'black' out looks great. I hope you can get a real answer to your problem sound soon.
When your at WOT I do not think you can hear much other than the wind and the pipes singing to you. lol

Yep, I'm running 20W 50 as of a couple of weeks ago, and the motor is new to me. So I don't know if it made these noises before.

Sounds more like a Tick than a Knock to me. Perhaps that is just what my ear focused on. Of course a tick may be valvetrain and a knock down low. Hope it's valve train Bro. Obviously you don't want it to go too long undiagnosed. Just curious, you didn't change oils recently have you?

I tried that and there was no change in the noise. I'll double check that today.

Thanks for help, and the compliment.

Try your scope on the individual valve covers, find the cylinder with loudest tick, then run the bike with that plug wire pulled. Reply with changes in noise, if any.

And by the way - beautiful Max. Great blacked-out look.

I love WOT, the sound, and the torque are addicting, and the speed scares the crap out of me.

It sounded like a double tick to me, not a knock.
If you changed oil it could have something to do with your noise, I am not motor builder so hopefully one of them will lay their words of wisdom to your sound, but you have a 'sound'.
You have a sweat looking bike there by the way, the 'black' out looks great. I hope you can get a real answer to your problem sound soon.
When your at WOT I do not think you can hear much other than the wind and the pipes singing to you. lol

Mine sounds just like that too in neutral until I pull the clutch handle in.

DITTO! mine almost sounds like a growling/ grinding sound until I pull in the clutch, I thought it might be the bearing on the end of the clutch pressure plate, not sure though. I don't want to blow this engine up that is for sure. If I do I will be building a 1428cc I would love to go turbo'd too but not sure if Gary's turbo kit will ever come to light anytime soon. Not busting your balls at all Gary and I truly mean that. I can be the first to say that we never have enough time to get things done unless it is our everyday job and we can focus 100% of our time too it. Days should be longer like 48 hrs and still work the same 8 hr days lol! My oil pressure at idel when warmed up is just a fraction off of the "0" but riding it looks like around 40 PSI I hope that is good? I will ride it until it dies, but I am afraid of being stranded. I know if it dies I will be shipping the whole damn thing to Sean because I have no time to deal with it. Or anyone going towards Kansas from Arizona?

G

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet - have you checked your valve clearances? Lots of great tutorials re this on this forum, from very knowledgeable people.
Sure sounds like valve issues to me!
Cheers

I got tappity tap taps like that with my motor too.
I'm assuming it's OK as it seems like these engines make a bit of noise.

In general a piston or gudgeon knock is a trailing knock. So as you rev the motor up, not so much knock, but you get a loud (diminishing) knock as soon as you let go of the throttle. So the noise trails the rev.

When big ends start to knock you will quite often start to notice the knock when you cruise, but go away as soon as you accelerate. (They get worse though....))

I'd consider having the oil anylized before diving into a motor that needed a stethiscope to hear a ticking noise.
Just my 2 cents.
Lew

My old Nighthawk 650 had a very similar noise at idle-2000rpm, beyond that it stopped. Was definitely in the valves, a tippity-tappity noise, I got rid of it before ever figuring out what it was. Ran good, I pulled it up to redline several times without incident. It also had a ton of miles on it.

I get kind of a slight growl/vibration in neutral with the clutch out. Pull the clutch in and it stops. Never really though much of it.

Where's that Morley's bat-signal?

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, feedback, and help.

The noise can be heard without the scope, its loud. I used the scope, to pin point where the noise is coming from. I've scoped the whole engine, and the noise is loudest at the #3 cyl.

I pulled each plug wire with no change in the noise. (I thought any bearing or wrist pin issue would get quiet when I pulled the plug)

oil pressure at idle when warm is 0, when riding, 40-60 psi

Pulled in the clutch and no change, topped off the fluid and pulled in the clutch, no change.

Here's what I'm going to do today to figure this out.
Put it in gear, hold the front brake, give it a little gas and listen for the noise.
Find a place to get the oil analysis done.
check the cam chain tension adjustments and make sure they are working properly.
pull the plug and look for any marks on the #3 piston etc.
pull the rear valve cover and check the clearances.
Look at the cam chain guides.

Thanks again for all the help.

Damien

with 20/50 at idle hot you should have something.... im running 15/40 and get at minimum 5-8 when hot. I have the coo guage. your best bet without exploreatory surgury, is check that oil for foreign debri. a rod will get bad quickly. but I have to agree it doesnt sound like bottom end noise. noone has suggested piston noise. its usually appearent on engine decel. piston noise is a collapsing piston skirt which allows the piston to rock slightly in the cylinder. usually lower compression is a measureable factor. its not a sign of ctastrophic failure but a worn motor.

just my thoughts. definately something to ponder.

peace,
evan...

Is sounds more like the valve train to me, could it be a loose cam chain?

Or it's the mod monkey letting you know he's always there

I really notice mine growling at lower RPM. Today I noticed that when I let off the throttle it seamed as I could feel the roughness in the engine as the RPM's came down. Kind of wigging me out.

:bang head:

Here are some vids of my motor knocking sound. I think its a wrist pin or a rod bearing. But before I do something dumb, expensive, and time consuming I thought I'd throw this out here for you guys to take a look at, and see if you have any suggestions. the noise is always there, has a double tap on the wind down to idle after a throttle burp to 2K rpm. Seems like it is coming from the number 3 cylinder. I can't say I hear it under WOT but, I can't hear anything at WOT except the exhaust. I do hear it when cruising at 3-4K

Damien

Nice bike! It's probably a wrist pin... pretty common. That engine will run that way for a long long time if you don't beat on it too much. Wouldn't hurt to check the valve clearances if you haven't, but I doubt if that's the noise.

Back