motor was built by vance & hines for $6000?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Found a 85 max for sale with this claim. Fresh rebuild..

Thought vance & hines did HD exhausts.:ummm:

V&H have been around forever, they used to dominate pro stock drag bike with a Suzuki i think.

Yup, killed with terry vance on the bike and byron hines doing the tuning. So dominant in fact they chose to sell thier tech in order to level the playing field.
They started in top fuel then later went to pro stock. They still have thier fingers in drag racing and roadracing.
They still deal with Yam, Suz, HD, Kaw exhausts and other go fast goodies.

OK thanks. He also said hittman did the carbs for 1800

Think I need to call him.

I'd see if he had proof. I remember dealing with vance and hines back in my racing years in the late 80's.

There really wasn't a whole lot of Yamaha stuff being sold and even less being worked on. They pretty much were doing the Kaw and Suz thing back then.

Not saying that it isn't possible, but outside of motocross and roadracing Yamahas really haven't had a big showing at the drag strip.

But I do remember some fuelers that were XS11 based that were being used.

He said it only had 80 miles on the rebuild. Said he gave the motor to his buddy who was "in" with the vance & hines crew and got it back rebuilt. He then got another call on his phone and haven't called him back. Sounds cheesy. I have this feeling the drama will unfold when I ask him for proof. If I call back..

Sounds fishy. Other than thier exhaust Vance and Hines made very little of thier own parts, and to have them build an engine wasn't on the cheap.
I paid about $1000, 22 years ago just to have a head ported.

from the top of my head, The list was like:

Blocks for Suz and Kaw
Exhaust
Electrical items

The rest was they were distributors for Barnett, Web Cams, Weisco, APE etc...

OK thanks. He also said hittman did the carbs for 1800

Think I need to call him.

hittman is a local tuner. the seller probably did get charged 1800.00 because it probably took hittman forever to work the cabs since he doesntknow what he's doing.

The owner said his buddy took the motor to cali and had V&H rebuild it. :rofl_200: Problem is V&H dont rebuild motors in cali. There motor building shop is in indiana. And when I talked to them , they said they have never done a Vmax.:biglaugh:

I flag his ad when I see it now. Scam

It's probably a real bike, that some jackass bought fourth-hand and has no idea as to it's history. The second owner rebuilt the motor, and told the third owner that when he sold it. The third owner told the fourth owner it was rebuilt by some performance shop to try and tag a few extra $$$ on the price. The fourth owner(current) now thinks it was built by V&H....it's that old adage about nuns passing a prayer through a courtyard or something.....if something is passed along it gets a little more exaggerated at each person.

Back