Mysterious parts in an oil pick-up mesh/cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatas

Reaction score
Hello. I was assembling my v-max gen1 engine after some case repair/welding/retaping job and discovered that oil pick up cover was half full of debris from excess sealant and some shavings. Also there was some parts that I can't rocognize where they are from. First one looks like broken circlip (or i don't know it's correct title in English), second is like broken pin or smthg ( it's round-grounded and one end is visible as broken off), third - a small spring.

A pre-story that could be related:
* looks like a bike was dropped and badly repaired by multiple pre owners.
* Engine case was cracked in four places and repaired with epoxy and sealant.
* oil sump and alternator cover was changed.
* oil pipes probably was bent, but replaced with used ones

so after these repairs was done, probably no one checked oil pick-up and all this stuff was in since then.
Could anyone tell where to look at and what i am missing?

Thank You for Your input.
Donatas

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_205827.jpg
    IMG_20200414_205827.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200414_210356.jpg
    IMG_20200414_210356.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 40
Good chance a piecem of that sealant eventually finds its way to blocking a vital oil passageway.

Last edited:
VMax starter clutch.png
Good chance a piecem of that coolant eventually finds its way to blocking a vital oil passageway.

We know he means 'sealant.'

Shift cam area? #4, 7, 13 lower pic

Starter clutch? #8 upper pic

VMax shift drum.png

Last edited:
I agree. Looks like a #7 Segment pin (not uncommon if 85-98 model) and a starter clutch roller spring #8. Not completely sure on the other 2 parts.

You guys are amazing. But, is the recommendation that this motor not be fired as is and perhaps torn down again? I think I would probably be pretty nervous about reliability of one with that much hard contamination in the crankcase.

Thank You guys, very much. That's what impress me about vmax comunity.
And i think you are right about the starter clutch. When i took off a flywheel, i saw that it was replaced into new one not long ago. Probably an old one shatered ( that is where the scuff marks on a crank case under flywheel are from) .
I just wonder how it even ran for me with almost completely packet pick-up, blown o-ring and many many other major isues. Gues, it's trully one hell of the engine.

Thank you guys again.
Donatas.

Back