Need Help with Lighting Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish up the electrical diagram for the lighting and am running into a problem both with the service manual wiring diagram and the colored crayon drawing that apparently everybody has been using............not a big issue but the action of the ignition switch does not match the drawing...............according to the drawing when the ignition switch is in "P" position the Instrument lights and Rear running lights should be on as well as the Front running lights............however, on my bike only the Rear running lights come on and nothing else.................when the switch is in the "On" position the Instrument lights, Rear running lights, and Front runnings lights are on...............can you please check your bikes to see what your bike does...............I would like to clarify the proper switch action...............Thanks

Didn't we discuss this the other day? I thought I heard somebody say that the front illumination was a European only thing.

I have never seen an American/Japanese motorcycle that lit anything other than the instruments and the tail light in the park position.

Didn't we discuss this the other day? I thought I heard somebody say that the front illumination was a European only thing.

I have never seen an American/Japanese motorcycle that lit anything other than the instruments and the tail light in the park position.

Does your Instrument lights come on in "P"..................mine does not on either the 85 or the 93..........thanks

My '87 FZR1000 has the left rear turn signal come-on in the 'Park' position. My friend bought it new, I bought it from him w/< 3K miles. Pretty-sure it was never tampered-with, for that function.

What does your bike do?...............thanks

I owe you an apology Okie. No gauge lights. In my defense, there are nine motorcycles currently in the garage. Many, many others have come and gone. Things tend to get a little fuzzy. And I've already said, that I rarely, and I mean rarely, turn a switch on any motorcycle to the park position. But, I could have sworn in my brain I saw gauge lights on the Vmax in park. (Interestingly, I did see different behavior on the 86 and the 90 Vmax's in the shop.)

In fact, I was interested enough to poke around on the motorcycles that have batteries in them to see their behavior while I was at it.

Park position on the ignition switch:

86 Vmax - tail light only.
90 Vmax - tail light AND front running lights!
79 CBX - tail light only
78 GL1000 - tail light only
78 CB750 - tail light only
97 Valkyrie - no park position on the ignition switch!
83 ZN1300 - currently tail light only, but I have modified this one extensively. Don't know what it did in stock configuration

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back