New 88 owner with RR question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzCrow

Reaction score
Hi guys Ive just bought my first Vmax. It has a dead Regulator that I replaced with a Ricks one that has a different plug to the dead one.
It looks as though a previous owner changed the plug to fit an after market stator, and did a poor job at it.

The 3 white wires plug is different on the new RR and I'm not sure how to determine the correct order of connection or if there even is one?
I can't wait to get this bike running well.

regards Adam

Well depending on what you have the three same color wires from the stator don't have to be connected in any particular order, just each to the 3 same-colored wires of the RR. There should be another wire for the stator which goes to the battery, a different color. Some RR's use their mount to provide the ground, obviously this has to be clean to work. On other RR's there is a fifth wire, black obviously, and this just connects to the black terminal of the battery or a good grounding point on the frame, as it's the ground. That's it.

I'm pretty sure you have the 3 same-color wires which get hooked to the RR from the stator, and the mount of the RR to the footpeg mount bracket is the ground, and a wire from the RR goes to the battery.

Here is a link to Eastern Beaver which I have used for several connectors, including the complete R/R harness with waterproof connectors.
Jim has a section specifically on R/R connectors.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

As many of us early Vmax have done, or did when the original R/R fails is to look into a Shindengan FH012 to bring the charging system to current. I moved my mounting point to under the LH scoop see attached photos.

2014-08-02 15.48.51.jpg 2014-08-02 15.48.57.jpg

Bill Seward can also vouch for Eastern Beaver and he has upgraded his '85's R/R system.

This would have been a good time to replace the toasted one with a MOSFET or Series type regulator. There is a lot of info posted here about that modification. I'd put a fuse inline from the red output wire to ground as a safety precaution, no matter what regulator I installed. Absolutely vouch for Eastern Beaver! MOSFET regulators are on EBay all the time, as low as $14.95! I got one of those, and it works fine in my '85. However, I just got a SH775 Series unit for the Max, and will move the MOSFET unit to my Roadstar if the weather ever warms up here..

Rick's sells good stuff, you'll probably be fine with one of his regulators...

I have been in search of a rr for my bike as well, and after seeing bills post about the sh775 I looked into them on eBay. There is a seller on there that is selling them with the plugs!! I think for 50$ too. Not bad for a new unit with plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make damn sure that isn't a knock off unit. I contacted the seller of one of those regulators that came with the plugs, and was told that they are MOSFET units - not series... They will work fine, but they are not exactly as they say - if they say SH775 in the ad, and the picture supplied does not show that printed on it, you can assume they are MOSFET units. You can buy a MOSFET unit - a copy of a Shindengen - for $14.99 elsewhere on EBay, and the proper Furukawa connectors for another $14.00.... Less than $30.00 gets you a MOSFET R/R and connector kit. That sounds like a good deal. As I said before, one of them is going into my 2002 Roadstar to replace the old style shunt unit that is in the bike now..

I have installed the RR now after several sources now have all confirmed that the 3 white wires can be connected in any order.

Is it typical for the RR body to run very warm to hot?
I believe the Ricks RR I bought is an OEM type. Would this heat if normal be the reason for upgrading to a MOSFET type?!!

Many thanks

I checked the parts list, and part number. It's a replacement part for the utv's. So, that would mean that it's not mosfet right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contact the seller and ask. I saw an ad that was the same deal you saw. The regulator will replace the original one but the seller told me it was not a series unit. A genuine Shindengen will cost you about $80.00 new. Plugs are about 15 to 20 bucks more. You will have to solder on the wires to the connectors. I use Posi Lock connectors to connect the 3 stator wires to the regulator. I started a thread here mentioning a source for used genuine SH775s for $45.00 shipped. I offered him $40.00 and he took the offer. Mine had a bit of dirt on it because it came from a wrecked ATV, but works fine.

Back