New 89 Vmax in Oz

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ze Max

Reaction score
Hi guys

Time to introduce myself, Ive just purchased an 89 Vmax here in Oz, it's got 12 000 miles on the odo, black and beautiful. Of course it had had a few cosmetic mods along its life, like raised drag bars and turn signals which I don't mind.

I'm coming from a Street triple R so it's a big change especially RE the frame and braking! :rofl_200: but that's ok since I've always dreamed of owning one of those utterly bad asses Vmax! and considering how straight our roads are, here in WA I think the Vmax will be absolutely perfect.

Ho and my name is Max so I guess it was unavoidable :biglaugh:

I'm in Perth Western Australia, beautiful roads but lots of straight lines! I believe a few Aussies are on here too

Awesome, great to have you here. I Love my 89... But that's a long Love / Hate Story.

Check my Albums for pictures....

Cheers guys, I sure hope my 89' will only be a pure love story! Though I already have to get a new rear tire and that infamous 15'' weird size. :rofl_200:

Gday mate i am in Victoria and just a couple of weeks ago bought a 2006 with 850 miles on the clock , i never thought i would have the opportunity to buy what was bassicaly a new gen 1 max so i couldnt resist it.Congradulations on your purchase.

Great, another Perth Max rider!! So now that's at least me, you and Bazwell. Let's get together and ride soon :)

I have my '00 all done and ready to ride now, and will have another '86 soon up for sale. Also I have a vacuum gauge here so if you need to give yer '89 a good carb sync just let me know. Takes 10mns and is well worth it.

Hope to catch up and ride soon! Baz wot do you say, is Vero back on the road yet?

Hi NaughtyG

Thanks a lot for the offer the carb sync will be something to do anyway, I really appreciate that.
As for a ride, I'd love that! I'm near Freo...
Edit: you too!!

On a side note, I've just had the rear tire fitted at Bike Tire City, and as we got talokin', the owner recognised my bike, went on to tell me that the previous owner had it checked a month ago in his shop. Apparently the compression is really low, and the guy I bought it from didn't mention anything obviously! so I'm a bit annoyed to say the least!:damn angry::damn angry:

Hi NaughtyG

Thanks a lot for the offer the carb sync will be something to do anyway, I really appreciate that.
As for a ride, I'd love that! I'm near Freo...
Edit: you too!!

On a side note, I've just had the rear tire fitted at Bike Tire City, and as we got talokin', the owner recognised my bike, went on to tell me that the previous owner had it checked a month ago in his shop. Apparently the compression is really low, and the guy I bought it from didn't mention anything obviously! so I'm a bit annoyed to say the least!:damn angry::damn angry:

Damn, that really sucks! Early enough after the purchase to call and 'have a chat' with him? Hopefully it's nothing major, also shops are well known for not having much of a clue when it comes to Max so with a bit of luck it's fine. What's the kms on it? Maybe it's just due for a valves clearance check, they do get a bit tight over time.

I am in Freo indeed, just next to the hospital and old prison. Let's ride some time soon :clapping:

It has only 18 000 ks so I hope it's just the valve clearance, and the guy at Bike Doctor also has a Vmax! so I assume he knows his stuff.

A ride would defo be awesome, we're really close I'm in Myaree! like literally 5mn away!

We'll have to catch up on week end then!

Well with 18k valves should be fine, but you never know. I did mine on my old '86 at about 40k miles and they were barely out.

Btw, is it an import? Mine is, had 24k miles on the clock in the states, but had to have a new speedo for compliance so it went from that to 0km and being registered here as a '99 (made in 6/99) so just wondering about your mileage.

Yea we're literally neighbours, so let's get together for a ride soon, sun should be out any day now :) And Bazwell's in North Perth, so we should pay him a visit too!!

Yes it's an import, but the speedo doesn't seem to have been changed as it's still in miles, so the number of kms seemed legit. Mind you, I'm not sure of anything now!
When we go for a ride, then you can see for yourself and tell me what you think.
Quite funny to meet someone so close in good old Dullsville though!

I guess because it's an '89, it didn't have to go through compliance here so it would have got away with keeping the original speedo and a few other things.

Let's try and catch up soon and we'll have a look and listen, hopefully it's all good :) You about Saturday? Maybe a late morning ride? Giz a buzz 0426 813 466 name is Gaetan.

Good to see you on the road today mate! Complete fluke so that was cool. The '89 looks and sounds sweet, still can't believe you can actually see anything in those mirrors though :)

Well, it wasn't me! I took the bike for a service in the morning but met nobody.

Did you meet another max on a vmax, also on that forum?:ummm:

Hahaha that's crazy! I stopped at the lights on Leach Hwy and Stock Rd and there was this guy on a black Max that looked like an '89 to me! Totally assumed it was you LOL We rode together until I turned off on the Kwinana to Perth.

About Sat morning - I have to work 11-4pm so might be tight for a morning ride, but maybe Sunday morning may work better?

Ha ha yeah that's weird, it could have well been me since i'm in the area! Mine's fully stock with drag bars and chrome reinforcement bars on the frame.
I had the bike serviced by Steve at Bike Doctor, the carbs were out of sync and the valve clearance was completely out on one cylinder, it's now much much better!
Sunday morning could work, I'll ring you before!

Awesome. Where's Bike Doctor btw? Is that a local place?

I now have a breaky with friends booked at 11am in Cottesloe Sunday morning - you up for an earlier ride or do you prefer to have a lazy Sunday?

Latest posts

Back