Cautiously Proud New Owner of a 1989 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Shocks???? Targets Maybe. Maybe I'll leave them upside down. Anybody asks, I'll tell them it makes the bike faster.:rofl_200:

I went to the Tag / Title agency today. Was told we had the wrong section of the title filled out. Got the seller to stop by as he was headed out to a job site.
We filled out the info about mileage and signed the front. When Mary and I took the paperwork back in, the same lady told us we really didn't need to have that filled out. Motorcycles are exempt. Takes a lot to totally piss my Wife off. She was smoking hot.

We sat for almost exactly 1 hour for something that should have been 5 minutes. I guess everyone at the agency was Brain Dead today.
When I got the bill, I about Shit. Title Fee was about $80.00, Tag was not prorated for 7 months and was, $69.65. And then 7% sales tax. :damn angry:

I better decide to keep it long enough to get my money's worth outta that...
I'm going to have to become a dealer at this rate. Then I can just reassign the title...

We also went to the Stealer and had a key made. $8.03. AT THAT RATE I COULD MAKE A COMFORTABLE LIVING MAKING KEYS...

Hey Grumpy - next time you need a key, check out Ace Hardware. Ask for an ILCO YM61 - only a couple of bucks. Not a HUGE savings, but I hate giving money to RideNowPowersports - they used to always gig me for 20% over list for parts on any bike. Now I stick with vendors from this site or aftermarket only...

Thanx richwrench. If I'd known what Barney's wanted I'd have passed on the whole thing.

VBoost is either disconnected, broke or gone from the 89... May be Stage 7, don't know, haven't looked into it yet. I never noticed the missing servo sounds till tonight when I tested the key. Noisy surroundings when I test rode it and it ran up in rpm well. Never even thought about it last night when I was checking plugs and all. That's Target Fixation....:bang head:

I'm tallying all of this. More $$$$$

Thanx richwrench. If I'd known what Barney's wanted I'd have passed on the whole thing.

VBoost is either disconnected, broke or gone from the 89... May be Stage 7, don't know, haven't looked into it yet. I never noticed the missing servo sounds till tonight when I tested the key. Noisy surroundings when I test rode it and it ran up in rpm well. Never even thought about it last night when I was checking plugs and all. That's Target Fixation....:bang head:

I'm tallying all of this. More $$$$$

Are the VBoost controls there under the left scoop? I hope they didn't sell you a restricted power model! It's fixable of course but not cheap! (Been there....:bang head:)

Alright I'm jealous Dave. Heck, when somebody gets a fart Ina can I get jealous , for what that's worth. So I am guessing all you Tampa guys called Cahill's Yamaha about the running Max with bad second gear, backrest for 900 bucks? And why didn't any of you slackasses buy it? Guy said a bunch of people called on it. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it was just the shift segment repair to make it right! Anyways, looks like your ahead of the game Dave. I got chrome stock shocks when your ready. Patmax

I have no idea how much the VBoost has been FU'd. don't have that much apart yet.

I never heard about Cahill having a max that cheap. CaptainKyle might jump on something like that... Stock rear shocks may be in the future. I still haven't decided whether to keep this whole or part it.

Alright I'm jealous Dave. Heck, when somebody gets a fart Ina can I get jealous , for what that's worth. So I am guessing all you Tampa guys called Cahill's Yamaha about the running Max with bad second gear, backrest for 900 bucks? And why didn't any of you slackasses buy it? Guy said a bunch of people called on it. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it was just the shift segment repair to make it right! Anyways, looks like your ahead of the game Dave. I got chrome stock shocks when your ready. Patmax
I did not know any thing about it if its still there it will be in my garage today.

Well, It's in CaptainKyles Garage... Now he's off to look at another bike already.:biglaugh: A Kawi Eliminator.:ummm:

I fiddled a little yesterday with the 89. I pulled the battery, filled it with water and charged it. When I got it back in and started the bike, the Boost Servo made 1 whine and the tach didn't work until I smacked it. Actually I smacked it several times in hope the temp gauge would come to life. VBoost is there, just being flaky. Maybe some bad grounds somewhere or ???? I also drained the gas and inspected the tank. There a little surface rust in there but not much more than my 94. Filled the tank with Non Ethanol and it started about the time the starter engaged.

I think the bike's a little rich. It starts and settles down too fast. The Kerker Can that's on it make it sound like a suffocating VW. I think I can control the mixture and make it closer by freeing the can of some restriction. I still want to look into the pan and see if the O-Ring is popped and check for crud. Only thing that still concerns me is how long the bike went without an oil change.

Keep wishing me good luck.

Congrats on the purchase. Seems I am a little late, but better late than never :eusa_dance:

Only thing that still concerns me is how long the bike went without an oil change.

Keep wishing me good luck.

I wouldnt sweat it. A. Engines are not fragile little butterflies B. nothing you can do now.

The Kerker Can that's on it make it sound like a suffocating VW. I think I can control the mixture and make it closer by freeing the can of some restriction.

:biglaugh: umm, yea .... that's the best way to help her out!!! Not to mention it'll sound like a hot rod:punk:
cool

Removing the packing made the bike sound much better. Now the can has a rattle that I'll have to get rid of.:bang head: Strategically placed RTV may help.

Latest posts

Back