New Battery keeps Dying

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
If I let my bike sit with my LEDs on or if I'm riding at night my battery seems to be draining. So I'm not sure could it be the Stator The R/R, any ideas? I just put this battery in when my Odyssey died at thunder.

Best bet is to put a meter on it and see what voltage you are getting with the bike running Ed. Might be a case of not charging enough.

I did that Bob and its reading 12.7 at the battery but 12.2 on that solenoid between the rear coils. I have it on a trickle charger now but was wondering if not fully charging it the first time at the hotel coulda ruined it. It only charged a couple hrs in Somerset.

You can take the battery to just about any local Auto Parts store and they will Load test it for you for free.
If the Battery tests good, use this guide to help find out if it's charging properly:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

If it's charging properly I'd look for a Short somewhere that could be causing it to Drain the Battery.

At 2000 rpm you should be getting 14.5V +/- .5V if not there is a problem with the charging system. H ave you had the crimp mod done?

You can take the battery to just about any local Auto Parts store and they will Load test it for you for free.
If the Battery tests good, use this guide to help find out if it's charging properly:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

If it's charging properly I'd look for a Short somewhere that could be causing it to Drain the Battery.

Thanks, shoulda known their was a stickie on this. I'll go thru it and let know what I find. And RedBone if you see this I might a have given you a good Odyessy to return for a core charge. Damn.

I did that Bob and its reading 12.7 at the battery but 12.2 on that solenoid between the rear coils. I have it on a trickle charger now but was wondering if not fully charging it the first time at the hotel coulda ruined it. It only charged a couple hrs in Somerset.

I'd check the cable and connections from the battery to stater solenoid. That is a lot of voltage drop. It would be logical to think other cables, like grounds are also n.g. Sometimes they corrode inside the jacket and look ok.The battery charged long enough at Thunder. 10 amps for a couple of hours if I recall.
Bob's advice to use a meter is spot on. Do a voltage drop test on the positive and negative cables then proceed to the charging system again, if not getting a decent reading.
Steve

Latest posts

Back