new guy with seat installation question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerBee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a 1991 Vmax.
I'm replacing it's worn Corbin seat with a factory one.

I need to find the correct bolts to attach the front and rear seat sections to the bike.
It appears there are 2 for the rear seat and 4 for the front/center seat.
Can I just go buy the correct metric sized bolts?
What size(s) and length are they?

Thanks in advance.

You will need six 6mm x 1.0 pitch metric threads with a 12 -14 mm reach (tang).
These are originally a hex head set screw (some people refer to them as bolts) but I found that if you get the same spec cup head or Allen screws it's better because that way you only need to carry an Allen key in the bike tool kit and not a spanner.

I've replaced all phillips screws and small hex head screws on my bike with cup head screws or bolts for this reason.

Stainless steel is best.

the only bolts I ever use are the 2 that hold on the rear seat on. The factory used 2 10mm headed bolts there, 2 phillips headed screws and 2 10mm headed bolts to hold on the front. The front doesn't need the 4 that hold it on since it slips into the notch at the front and is clicked into place with the flip section in the middle.

I can always fix up the old corbin and make it considerably nicer.

Sean

Tractor Supply has a good selection of the allen head type bolts. I know when I put my sissy bar on, I misplaced (lost) one of the factory allen head bolts. I went to Tractor Supply the next day, they had 'em.

Whip

Thanks for the all comments guys.

I don't like the way the fuel filler works on the Corbin seat and it needs some repairs so it's going off to E-bay.

I'm an old time biker who was street racing waaaay back when the V-max was first introduced in 1985.
Back then I had a brand new 1984 V65 Sabre, many of my buddies had Vmax's along with some GS1100E's, GPZ's, KZ1000's etc.
Back then when the bikes were bone stock and brand new the V65 Sabre and the Vmax were a very close race that usually depended on the rider's skill. The GS's were no slouches either.
I've owned many bikes through the years including a number of musclebikes and Harleys, this is my first Vmax.

I bought the bike from the estate of a deceased attorney who was in his late 60's. He was a very wealthy fellow and loved motorcycles, he had a large collection, this Vmax was one of his favorites and from what I was told he rode it often. His widow told me he spent thousands of dollars on this bike including major engine mods, chrome parts, and custom paint.
She told me the bike was NASTY, NASTY fast and refused to sell it without interviewing the buyer to see if they were mature enough not to get killed on it. Of course I also had to sign a waiver form stating if I met god while riding it I couldn't sue the attorney's estate.
Obviously I'm not a Vmax expert but from what I can see the bike has the K&N stage 7 air filter setup and a chrome Kerker 4 into 1 header.
The bike also has a choppy idle like it has different cams in it.
The bike is an absolute beast and would easily smoke any of my old V65 Sabres and even some of my previous sport bikes. I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this bike as it's a little(OK a LOT) too fast for this fat old man:confused2:

Here are some picutres, maybe somebody knows the bike.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8d828b3127ccec40793d888bb00000026100QZtWrVw3bsQe3nw4

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8d828b3127ccec4074dbc098000000026100QZtWrVw3bsQe3nw4

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf38b3127ccec2f231dd82e500000016100QZtWrVw3bsQe3nw4

Looks awesome!

The nice thing about the max is its V4 never had major oiling issues... Of course Dale Walker still sells the oiling kit for the Honda V4's.

Stage 7 with a kerker and vboost open would sound like a cam. That's why the Vmax instills fear into others...:eusa_dance:

Back