new here, with questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffclaven

Reaction score
Just picked up a mint 00' carbon model, 10k miles. Today, i went to get gas, went out for a little spin, and it died and wouldnt restart. I let it sit for 10 mins, and it restarted, and i made it home, but its a little disconcerting. Almost like it had a vapor lock? When it started back up it wouldnt take throttle, then died. Finally it started, and nwo its running fine. Dunno if i didnt get the gas cap on securely? I put the cap back on with the arrow in the right spot, but do i have to give it a quarter turn? Or maybe (not sure) left the choke partially on? Sorry for sounding like a newbie, this is my first max, last bike was a gsxr 1100.

Also, it seems like i can hear the airbox servo motor running when the bike is running? Is this normal? It sounds like it does when you turn the key to the on position.

Love the vmax, want to be a lifelong owner, but this is odd.

The gas cap just pushes straight on. The servo motor should cycle when the key is first turned to start but you shouldn't here it moving when the bike is just running unless you hit about 6000 rpms but the bike is to loud to usually hear it.

When you say you can hear the servo, what do you mean? Can you hear it whirring at idle?
The cap doesn't require turning, it just presses on with the arrow facing up.
Stalling problem could be vapour lock, or a dicky fuel pump, or a blocked fuel filter, or ...

Also, if it hasn't done many miles, it might just need a couple of tanks of gas run through it. Sometimes little problems correct themselves with a bit of running.

And ... where are the pics of your new bike???

If you can post a clip of the sound you are hearing, maybe we could ID the noise.

When you say 'won't start' do you mean it wouldn't crank or just wouldn't catch?

If you open the fuel cap and hear an air whoosiing or sucking soung (after riding it and it dies) then it's a plugged vent which is not uncommon. A simple way to test is to leave the cap loose and see if it runs fun that way.

You also want the switch on "RES" when your fuel light is on. And in the "ON" position for normal operation. Alternatively the RES position is an override and will force the pump on regardless of fuel amount in the tank.

When you say you can hear the servo, what do you mean? Can you hear it whirring at idle?
The cap doesn't require turning, it just presses on with the arrow facing up.
Stalling problem could be vapour lock, or a dicky fuel pump, or a blocked fuel filter, or ...

Also, if it hasn't done many miles, it might just need a couple of tanks of gas run through it. Sometimes little problems correct themselves with a bit of running.

And ... where are the pics of your new bike???

If you can post a clip of the sound you are hearing, maybe we could ID the noise.
yes i can hear it whirring under the "gas tank" cover at idle.

Its the same noise that happens for about 2 seconds when the key is turned to the on position.

Edit: It is running fine, and I can tell the vboost is working right around 6k.

When you say 'won't start' do you mean it wouldn't crank or just wouldn't catch?

It would just crank over then it would start, idle like sh1t for a minute, then die. Finally it started and ran fine the 2 miles home. However, it still sounds like the servo motor under the fake tank is still running all the time? When I got home I let it cool off then took it for a short spin, it ran fine and v boost works as it should, u can feel it kick in.

Sounds like a bad fuel delivery. Either filter clogged which is located on top of the fuel tank but under the seat. Can't miss it if you follow the fuel line. OR, your fuel pump is crapping out on you. You should here whir a few seconds at start up then stop after it senses the fuel system is pressurized. When you drive around and empty the fuel bowls, it senses the pressure drop and whirs again but it would be difficult to hear over the exhaust. Some pumps can easily be cleaned, rubber flappers replaced or just change out the pump. It is a little challenging for a first timer but its not technical, just a few steps to get right to it to replace. Used ones are here all the time or just put a wanted ad in our classified section. Stay away from the Stealership. Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like a bad fuel delivery. Either filter clogged which is located on top of the fuel tank but under the seat. Can't miss it if you follow the fuel line. OR, your fuel pump is crapping out on you. You should here whir a few seconds at start up then stop after it senses the fuel system is pressurized. When you drive around and empty the fuel bowls, it senses the pressure drop and whirs again but it would be difficult to hear over the exhaust. Some pumps can easily be cleaned, rubber flappers replaced or just change out the pump. It is a little challenging for a first timer but its not technical, just a few steps to get right to it to replace. Used ones are here all the time or just put a wanted ad in our classified section. Stay away from the Stealership. Welcome to the Forum.

Maybe ill grab some fuel system cleaner and run it thru. Hopefully it's just a partially clogged filter.

So that whirring sound is the fuel pump? And it only runs to pressurize the float bowls? Not constantly?

Ill have to check it out after work. I don't hear any 'clicking' except on first startup. Hmmm.

That could be a good thing, meaning your fuel pump and carbs aren't leaking down. The fuel pump only runs when fuel is needed or when pressure switch is satisfied or like you said on start up for about 5 seconds. I dought you will hear the fuel pump clicking while engine is running or while riding.........

ok, so i started it up when i got home, its raining, so didnt ride it, but... Started fine with just 15 seconds of choke. Fuel pump clicks "sounds like tapping" maybe 15 times, but starts/runs fine. Let it run for a few minutes. Turned it off, same thing, alot of "tapping", and if i put my ear against the faux tank after i start it, it sounds like its running. :(

Vegetta58 here posted the exact same problem i had in a different thread.

"Could this be the reason that when I wind the Vmax up from dead stop to 100+ it acts like it runs out of fuel and dies about a mile down the road. Takes about 5 minutes to get started back up, but then runs fine. Also if in traffic and temp. gauge is high it acts like it wants to choke out(fan the clutch alittle and get going and it runs fine.) Thanks for any help"

This is exactly what happened the other day. Maybe the fuel pump diaphragm?

Maybe. And the time its running its on the amount of fuel that is primed into the bowls on first startup.

I would do the simple things first; Check your fuel tank vent line, pin holes from fuel tank line to fuel pump and check fuel filter. Here is a good read on the fuel pump diaphram.....
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8775

You also need to read this thread on what your voltages should look like, not saying you need to do the complete mod but other things that was done to improve voltage out put to the electrical system. Usually when you are stumbling pulling off from a stop light and cooling fan is on thats a good indication you have problems in your charging system. The TCI does not operate well with low voltage and will cause stumbling and misfires.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

Back