New Max owner and member here!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2" wider than stock eh? Still seems very narrow to me. But then again I am comparing it to a full on cruiser. I think I will start with the forward controls and seat. So far Morley's seat appeals to me the most, and I have read nothing but good things about his work and customer service. As for the forward controls has anyone tried to make their own? I dont see me thunking down $600+ on somthing that "may" be more suitable to my needs. :ummm:

As to wether you should mod or start over, only you can decide. Do you want the rush of the power enough to daydream about it?
You mention that you have had it for over a month, is that a month of daily riding? I know the first 2weeks I had mine I was looking for lower pegs, now I am happy with them; I do have highway pegs now. That was enough to offer a variation during longer cruises. Having had the chance to ride one with forwards, at WOT all you have to keep you in the seat is your grip on the bars! Plus, I just feel like I have more control over the bike with the standard pegs- better able to throw my weight around.

The seat, well what can you say about that monstrosity? Just got home from a 500+ mile run and I think it sucks moldy cheezwiz. There is a local who is trying to sell his vmax and if it falls thru I will trade him for his sportmax seat, that's the only reason I haven't ordered a new one yet. Couple more runs like that last one and saving money be damned!

I would definately ride it a while before I changed to forward controls. When I bought my very first Max I had came off some cruisers & jumped in right away & bought forward controls. I think I kept them on there about 3 weeks & they just did not feel right to me on the Max so I took them off & traded them for usefull stuff like frame braces & lowering kit.

The seat, well what can you say about that monstrosity? Just got home from a 500+ mile run and I think it sucks moldy cheezwiz. There is a local who is trying to sell his vmax and if it falls thru I will trade him for his sportmax seat, that's the only reason I haven't ordered a new one yet. Couple more runs like that last one and saving money be damned!

That's kind of my problem. For shorter trips it's tolerable...I make my 80 mile Troy-Schroon commute fairly easily. It when I go on 400+ mile day trips that it starts to remind me how much it sucks and I tell myself I'm definitely getting it fixed. Then I don't do a real long trip again for a while and kind of forget about it, or put the money into some other mod. This summer though I'm definitely planning on a Morley seat.

I kick my feet out on the forward pegs when I'm cruising on the highway, but the rest of the time I use the regular position ones. Like Blurr said, feels like a better position to control the bike.

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking at one of Sean Morley's seats, a word of advice. If you're a smaller guy, get the full cut seat (more padding removed to sit you down lower). If you are 6' and say 200lbs or more, go with the mid cut seat (more padding left in). I went with the full cut first, lasted about a day before I emailed Sean to get a mid cut on trade.

I also wanted forward controls when I first got the bike because of a bad knee that I need to stretch out most of the time. Got some cool engine guards from Sean that I put highway pegs on, and now it's no problem.

I enjoy long rides , over 150 miles , and 2 - up riding with forward controls on my blue '90 . True , I can't lean as far in the twisties , or stay at 130 very long , but it is a muscle cruiser and it gets me to 100 in comfort and as fast as most with the stage 7 and kerker 4-1 pipe . I'm 6 ' and 205 at the moment ( subject to change with little notice ) , and I had my seat built by a local upholsterer with new style foam , widened , built up , and in black leather . The backrest was built up a bit more than stock as well , and holds me on the seat extremely well at speed . Everything you do usually has a trade off , but I wouldn't go back to mid controls on this bike . That's why the metallic black & carbon fiber ' 98 has mid controls . It likes to lean , and the sportmax seat hold you in very well at speed . However , after 100 miles or so , I'm ready to stretch out a bit .

Attachments

• 10-13-10 Pictures 191.jpg
    10-13-10 Pictures 191.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 9-1-10 Pasture & Home pics 136.jpg
    9-1-10 Pasture & Home pics 136.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
What about lowering the pegs such as the Buell ones that give you an inch more leg room? Especially with the Sportmax or Morley seat has anyone done this?

Well.......I dont mean to resurrect a horse just to beat on it some more, But did anyone ever try the Buell pegs to see if that is an improvement over the stock peg position?

I am back with another V-Max, and this one came with one of the lowered stock seats (Idunno if its a Morley, UFO, or Blue Mt.) And while it is WORLDS better than the stock seat, and even Corbin (bike came with a Corbin as well......not impressed). It actually makes the problem with the pegs worse since my feet have stayed in the same too close cramped position, whereas now my hind end has moved down about 2 inches.

I really dont want to drop the money on forward controls, though I am sure I would be more than happy with them as I am so used to such riding positions.

But I have found that with the foward highway pegs, its great for cruising, and i can still get more aggressive with the stock position. I just find myself groaning everytime I have to moved my feet from the highway pegs to shift or brake.

SSssooooooo......that's why I am really curious about these buell pegs.

Latest posts

Back