New motor in the Luv

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an idling VMax!

Good work there. I love Q-ships, but when you have that sound coming from under the hood, you know it's not a 90 brake HP inline-four under there, or whatever the LUV's came-with. One of my co-workers had one in the family, I thought it looked like a cute sensible truck. Yours is now on the 'badass' side of things.

Be sure to have someone get some video when it is on the road.

Last edited:
Sounds like an idling VMax!

Good work there. I love Q-ships, but when you have that sound coming from under the hood, you know it's not a 90 brake HP inline-four under there, or whatever the LUV's came-with. One of my co-workers had one in the family, I thought it looked like a cute sensible truck. Yours is now on the 'badass' side of things.

Be sure to have someone get some video when it is on the road.
Thanks ! They has a big 75 hp from the factory. I believe it is just over that now.lol I had a bunch of people trying to get me not to paint it saying leave it sleeper looking. I said don't you think the sound ,hood scoop and tires might just give it away.lol20181103_152220.jpg

Couldn't get the sound to work for shit but i'm sure the 383 sounds good and should push along the light weight truck just fine.

I looked up the history of the LUV (Light Utility Vehicle), produced by Isuzu for Chevrolet. In an interesting counter to the tariffs of the day, and respective of the vehicle industry today and talk of our jobs going overseas to avoid tariffs in foreign markets when our vehicles are made in the country where they are sold, the LUV was imported from Japan with no pick-up bed. This avoided the "chicken tax" of the 1970's where American-sold but foreign-built light trucks were taxed at a 4% rate instead of 25%. Tax avoidance and maneuvering to lessen tax liabilities for the auto industry is an old story.

I bet Kyle's ride is going to better the 17.6 seconds 0-60 mph quoted in one of the links for the gas engine LUV. It also was offered as an oil-burner-a diesel offering a whopping 58 HP. The VW 1200 cc beetle was rated at 40 hp which worked-out to about half-that RWHP, good for 72 mph.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2014/02/isuzu-pup-truck-luv-restore/

https://www.autoinfluence.com/chevy-luv-trucks-miniature/

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/blog/americas-brief-luv-affair-with-the-mini-chevy-truck

Last edited:
I drove it about 50 miles today & think I am going to have to go with a smaller convertor. This one is not coming in until 35-3600 just a little much for a mild driver. It did come alive when I laid into it a bit but I am taking it easy for a couple hundred miles. I did not run it over 4900 rpm today.

The LS motor in my truck is a monster. Stock and in factory condition they put out a little over 300 hp and easily light um up . And like the article insinuates, they are near bullet proof. Naturally aspirated with common off the self mods, 600 hp is well within reach. In a light vehicle like a Luv truck or old Nova they'd be a street sleeper for sure, and do very well at the strip. Not taking away anything from the GM 383 build, its a tried and true powerhouse in its own right.

I put a smaller converter in it & have drove it a bit. It is quick but not a rocket but I have not run it over 5,000 rpm either. I think I am remembering my old one with the 411 gears & this one only has 342 so it does not have that initial launch.

I finally fired up the new motor in the Luv Truck today . I just finished breaking in the cam. I still have a little tuning to do & a few other things But it sounds pretty Healthy.

OK, Sounds Real Healthy... Sounds like you're braking it in good... I LOVE THE 383 Stroker and will admit you'd likely beat my baddest Mustang. But I'd still race you... lol. I believe It deserves one of your paint jobs... No way you can hide something that radical as a Sleeper... Fantastic job Kyle...

OK, Sounds Real Healthy... Sounds like you're braking it in good... I LOVE THE 383 Stroker and will admit you'd likely beat my baddest Mustang. But I'd still race you... lol. I believe It deserves one of your paint jobs... No way you can hide something that radical as a Sleeper... Fantastic job Kyle...
Thanks ! It is not the fastest thing in the world but runs pretty damn strong now that some of the kinks are worked out. I am going to start working on the paint soon ! I think I am also fixing to find me a 200 4R & build for it to & put a 411 gear in it to .

4.10 /4.11 is a great gear with an overdrive transmission. My 05 GT hauls the Bacon with it...
Beats some of the Coyotes. Still gets 12 town running hard and 24 @ 80 MPH Highway...

Attachments

• 100_1290.JPG
    100_1290.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 13
I finally fired up the new motor in the Luv Truck today . I just finished breaking in the cam. I still have a little tuning to do & a few other things But it sounds pretty Healthy.

CaptainKyle- I'm soooo frigging jealous of you right now! I had a 72 LUV with an LT1 350 in it back in the 90's. 232/236/111 cam, 4.56 gears, turbo 400 trans, B&M slapshift, 3500 stall, 50's on the back and super skinnies up front, MG Midget interior. I kept it in red primer with a black high rise hood. My girlfriend at the time named her "The Barnacle Barge". She ran consistent 12's in the 1/4. Sold it for $3,500 to a coworker.

I kick myself in the ass to this very day for letting her go. My brother just bought me the Hot Wheels "Custom '72 Chevy LUV" as a token of my heartbreak.

Best of luck with her!

Attachments

• 20190204_090144.jpg
    20190204_090144.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
CaptainKyle- I'm soooo frigging jealous of you right now! I had a 72 LUV with an LT1 350 in it back in the 90's. 232/236/111 cam, 4.56 gears, turbo 400 trans, B&M slapshift, 3500 stall, 50's on the back and super skinnies up front, MG Midget interior. I kept it in red primer with a black high rise hood. My girlfriend at the time named her "The Barnacle Barge". She ran consistent 12's in the 1/4. Sold it for $3,500 to a coworker.

I kick myself in the ass to this very day for letting her go. My brother just bought me the Hot Wheels "Custom '72 Chevy LUV" as a token of my heartbreak.

Best of luck with her!
I need to get me a couple of them Hot wheels to just have not got around to it. I had a 76 Luv years ago with a decent 350 in it & a turbo 350 & 4500 stall & 411 gears. I had lots of fun in it but it got wrecked. I always wanted another one & ran across this roller a about 2 years ago & have been working on it ever since. It will be a never ending project.LOL

I need to get me a couple of them Hot wheels to just have not got around to it. I had a 76 Luv years ago with a decent 350 in it & a turbo 350 & 4500 stall & 411 gears. I had lots of fun in it but it got wrecked. I always wanted another one & ran across this roller a about 2 years ago & have been working on it ever since. It will be a never ending project.LOL

That's a shame but at least you found another one. I sold mine then the new owner blew up the motor. He took the engine out to rebuild it with a high rise and dual Holly center squirters then dropped it into a late model camaro. The truck sat in storage for years them he scrapped it without letting me know or offering to sell it back to me. Not a single spot of rust on it anywhere. Breaks my heart.

I never had it registered, threw some old plates on it and would wait for my folks to fall asleep. I'd roll it off the trailer, down the driveway, to the street before firing it up...then head into town looking for street races. Oh the good ole days. I've been looking for one in decent shape in the Northeast and can't find one at all...never mind a decent one.

Found a sweet one in Bali Indonesia of all places when I was on a vacation with my wife. Thing was near immaculate in original condition.

Happy for you sir. Best of luck with it. I look forward to further updates as you progress through the build. Cheers!

Last edited:
I have always been of fan of all the “chicken tax” era mini trucks. I drove a Ford Courier back in high school.
It looks and sounds goood.
For what it’s worth, Hot Wheels has a Luv pickup with Tubs in back and velocity stock mechanical FE setup poking out of the hood in their current lineup. Look for one in stores next time you are near a toy aisle .

Kyle, any pics of "I'll be getting-to the paint soon" results?

For people who don't want to spend the time and $ looking-for a Courier or a LUV to make-into a V-8, consider a first generation 2004-2012 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon. Starting in the 2009 model year, they offered a LS series V-8, so you can order the wire harness and all the parts for converting a regular-cab Colorado/Canyon 4-cylinder into a 6.2 liter LS-engined hot-rod, and it will have the ABS and airbags of contemporary trucks. The 4-cyl. trucks in standard cab should be numerous in the used car/truck market, nearly-everywhere. They did fleet use where a full-size isn't needed.

The Xtreme edition had better suspension and an aero package. The stock suspension is coded Z-85 (front 2WD suspension is coil springs & hydraulic shocks), while the sport suspension which is lowered, and has a stock rear sway bar which the stock suspension lacks, and other features, is coded ZQ8; the off-road spec suspension is coded Z-71 (which is a torsion bar front suspension).

If you're interested, dear reader, here is a good place for info. Be sure to go-back to the home page, as there are many threads about this type of mod.
https://www.355nation.net/forum/chassis/207701-zq8-z71-z85-frame-difference.html

Maybe you want to try building a car from scratch, like this guy:
https://jalopnik.com/the-man-who-spent-17-years-building-the-ultimate-lambor-5954486

Last edited:
Kyle, any pics of "I'll be getting-to the paint soon" results?

Unfortunately No Paint yet !. I have the bed almost ready. I knew it had some body filler on the left corner so I started looking into it. A bondo guy done it not a body guy they never tried to pull one part just filled it in . I ground it all out & pulled all of the dent out that I could get out & smoothed it back over.

I cut all the little hooks off the bed & tailgate to give it a cleaner look. I also took the ugly rattling latches off the tailgate & welded up the holes & just used simple spring latches on the inside. I also welded in the gas filler cap since the tank is in the bed now. It is slowly getting there. I also got rid of the old brittle taillights & put Led's in it I have mainly just been driving it.

Attachments

• luv 2.jpg
    luv 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
  • luv.jpg
    luv.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
  • luv3.jpg
    luv3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5
  • luv4.jpg
    luv4.jpg