New SD ammo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/the-new-ammunition-that-has-gun-owners-drooling/

Very interesting concept. Really a great idea, bullet hits the target and shrapnels out therefore less chance of a over penetrating hit and hurting someone else.

Looks like pretty massive destruction. But I would be concerned about the intial kinetic energy loss once you lose all those parts of the bullets and its weight diminishes. None the less I wonder how it will fair in the public eye...

Todd

This is definitely some Awesome Ammo for self defense.................

Air Marshals use ammo that fragments and doesn't penetrate the air frame. They gave me some that was left over at one of the demo shoots I did with them. A lot of them are buying RMW Xtreme DI-AR.357 Sigs to use with Glock Mags. Pretty Awesome Combo....

I love the super slow shot of the balloon!
Might be something that would expand in a .45acp in 3 inch
Id hate to be the Dr. trying to fix the guy hit with one.

Pre-fragmented bullets have been around a long time---- these look good. I've been known to take a jewelers saw to some ammo to get 4 pieces.
Lew

I love the super slow shot of the balloon!
Might be something that would expand in a .45acp in 3 inch
Id hate to be the Dr. trying to fix the guy hit with one.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to get hit with that thing. You'd bleed out quick with all those wound channels. Better grab some before they get banned. This could make a .380 a potent house gun.

Just think that if you had multiple layers of clothes the actual wound ballistics probably would be that tremendous. It would lose a lot of energy by the time it got to your body.

Todd

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/the-new-ammunition-that-has-gun-owners-drooling/

Very interesting concept. Really a great idea, bullet hits the target and shrapnels out therefore less chance of a over penetrating hit and hurting someone else.

Looks like pretty massive destruction. But I would be concerned about the intial kinetic energy loss once you lose all those parts of the bullets and its weight diminishes. None the less I wonder how it will fair in the public eye...

Todd

I just saw this. Honestly, it seems a bit dangerous to me (yeah yeah I know). For the simple fact how much it shrapnels out. It says it gets 16 inches of penetration, so you hit someone in the limb or miss and it hits something else. Now you have a massive amount of collateral damage.

Its amazing honestly. I love that people are looking at ammo and trying new things. If I lived by myself then I would like this, but I think this would be a very bad idea if used by police or in a public area.

The shrapnel problem would be minimum really. Once the kinetic energy is dispersed you would have to be standing extremely close to a person ( right on top of them, touching them ) in order to be hurt. So once you get past a few feet, your safe. Its designed that way. So lets say you shoot this round in your house, if it hit something , it would break apart and might get stuck in the dry wall a couple of feet away, but wouldn't go through the drywall. Now if you put the muzzle against the drywall and pulled the trigger than you would be doing great damage to the drywall, but after the drywall there wouldn't be much damage. So its actually safer to use in a house than you think.

Todd

Way different. The safety slugs are a casing filled with very small lead shot. #12 if I remember right. They only go in a few inches and can blow up on a couple layers of heavy clothing. These new slugs would be way more lethal but I'm guessing a "miss" may well go thru a plane wall

I would not use a safety slug for home protection (my opinion) I would love to have some of these! They MAY even be effective in the little 380s a lot of us carry. My guess is that if you hit a human with one of these, it would be like having a softball size pattern. Hell, they might even make a 9mm in to a manstopper <BMFG> (thats a little "I use a .45 b4cause they don't make a .46" type crack)

Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like the glasers might be similar to the .44 mag snake rounds that I already have. Looks like a normal shell with a clear/blue plastic cap and small shot inside.
I wouldn't think those would be very effective either for personal defense, although if someone was shooting at me with them I'd run like hell. But then again I'm kind if a pussy. Haha

Interesting concept for sure however I am a bit skeptical about the actual effectiveness of the round.

As the round peels off the frontal tips, each smaller fragment will remove energy from the central slug. The slug (now no longer a hollowpoint) continues to penetrate as you would expect for any non expanding type bullet. The very lightweight flechettes should slow down and stop very quickly due to a low weight, poor shape, and trajectory (the point customizedcreationz was making in an earlier post).

On a SD round, I don't think you want gobs of penetration. You want the bullet to enter the target, expand massively, create a huge wound cavity, and dump all of it's energy in the target. Some penetration is good, but I worry about significant over penetration of that central slug.

I would really like to see some side by side tests of this round and some more conventional hollowpoint defensive rounds before passing judgment, however I really have a tough time believing this is the next best thing in SD ammo.

...I also wonder how well it will feed in something like a 1911. The feed ramp on a 1911 has a pretty steep angle and the round slams into it fairly hard during cycling. I wonder if the copper trocar tips will gouge the crap out of the frame on a conventional barrel ramp design (especially alloy framed pistols), or worse yet, completely hang up.

...I also wonder how well it will feed in something like a 1911. The feed ramp on a 1911 has a pretty steep angle and the round slams into it fairly hard during cycling or worse yet, completely hang up.

That was my next thought as well. Looks pretty flat nosed and I could see crazy feed issues with all types of already finicky guns.

Todd

I wonder if the copper trocar tips will gouge the crap out of the frame on a conventional barrel ramp design (especially alloy framed pistols), or worse yet, completely hang up.

They are brass so I bet they just smoosh up and then possibly deform and make the whole concept bad LOL.

I don't think you would ever have to worry about it damaging a feed ramp.

Todd

In one of my trauma classes we had autopsy x-rays of Glaser Safety Slugs in the cranium of the deceased. Unfortunately, I don't recall the caliber of the ordinance, but it did show dozens of projectiles spread-throughout the cranium contents. It looked like paint splatter, or looking at the Milky Way miles away from any light pollution. I don't recall how-many rounds were delivered to the victim, but they dropped him where he stood.

The shrapnel problem would be minimum really. Once the kinetic energy is dispersed you would have to be standing extremely close to a person ( right on top of them, touching them ) in order to be hurt. So once you get past a few feet, your safe. Its designed that way. So lets say you shoot this round in your house, if it hit something , it would break apart and might get stuck in the dry wall a couple of feet away, but wouldn't go through the drywall. Now if you put the muzzle against the drywall and pulled the trigger than you would be doing great damage to the drywall, but after the drywall there wouldn't be much damage. So its actually safer to use in a house than you think.

Todd

Are you reading something somewhere else? Or are you assuming this? Not asking to be sarcastic.

Seems a little gimmicky to me, especially at over $2 per round. I'll stick with jhp for defensive carry personally.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Back