New to Forum - Is this worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TLR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum - been lurking and just soaking in the information for the past few days.

I don't currently have a V-Max but fell in love with them back in the mid-90's when one came screaming past me while I was tooling along on my Vulcan-750.

Got the green-light from my wife to pick up a second ride, and it's down to the V-max and a sport-touring machine. Been surfing on ebay and found this bad-boy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260129015829&rd=1,1

Looks like quite a few nice mods - but the reserve is $12,500.

The guy certainly has some $$ tied up in the thing - but in my experience - the sum of the parts ALWAYS exceeds the value of the whole...So, my question, all-mighty-V-Max-experts. Am I crazy or is this thing overpriced by about $3-4k at the $12,500 reserve?

[**DISCLAIMER**] If the owner of the very-fine V-Max depicted in the above referenced e-Bay auction is a member of this forum - no offense intended! [/**DISCLAIMER**]

First of all, welcome!

Kelly BB value for an '06 is about $8700. Nada is $11099...that's quite a difference. For $12000, I'd consider it. The wheels alone are over $1600 dollars plus another $300-$400 for the tires. Frame braces are about $200. Holeshot exhaust is about $900. Just with those items it would be worth it. If you do get this bike, I would remove the Muzzy fan. It's heavier than stock and doesn't move air as good as the stock fan. Other than that, nice bike!

Mark

Hi Guys,

New to the forum - been lurking and just soaking in the information for the past few days.

I don't currently have a V-Max but fell in love with them back in the mid-90's when one came screaming past me while I was tooling along on my Vulcan-750.

Got the green-light from my wife to pick up a second ride, and it's down to the V-max and a sport-touring machine. Been surfing on ebay and found this bad-boy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260129015829&rd=1,1

Looks like quite a few nice mods - but the reserve is $12,500.

The guy certainly has some $$ tied up in the thing - but in my experience - the sum of the parts ALWAYS exceeds the value of the whole...So, my question, all-mighty-V-Max-experts. Am I crazy or is this thing overpriced by about $3-4k at the $12,500 reserve?

[**DISCLAIMER**] If the owner of the very-fine V-Max depicted in the above referenced e-Bay auction is a member of this forum - no offense intended! [/**DISCLAIMER**]

Do you have a TLR then?

I have an SV1000S which is the son of the TL...:thumbs up:

Unfortunately I can't get on ebay at work... Can't help ya! Sorry...

If i knew that i could afford it, and i was looking for a good deal, i would be on that like flies on shit

reminds me of 4gasems bike and gives me a stiffy

If i knew that i could afford it, and i was looking for a good deal, i would be on that like flies on shit

reminds me of 4gasems bike and gives me a stiffy

Ahh... Is that the '06 with all the bling? Yeah! Nice bike...:thumbs up:

Those are the wheels I want now that UFO F'd me over...:whistlin:

12,500 is stiff but worth it!

I paid around 11 out the door for mine and have about 6 in aftermarket parts on it now... I wouldn't expect to get 17 for it of course but it is worth more than what most people are getting for used '06s...

Good luck!
Chris

First...Welcome!

That is a nice bike, but, not my cup of tea in the mod department or miles for a 2006.

I would keep my eyes open for things like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...tegoryZ50047QQihZ013QQitemZ230144088748QQrdZ1

Or This 2007 With No Reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...tegoryZ50047QQihZ020QQitemZ300122058385QQrdZ1

Maybe Even This:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...tegoryZ50047QQihZ009QQitemZ190123421877QQrdZ1

My 2 cents: Since you have the green light now...take your time and find exactly what you want, or something you can personalize and make your own with low miles. You might even want to visit http://www.monstermax.com/Vmax%20news.html and consider waiting just a little while longer :)

:cheers:

Neil

I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd time this bike has been listed on e-bay in recent months as I was tracking it in my "Wish List". I think there is a way to pull up the last 90 days of auctions for V-max auctions on e-bay, but I can't remember off-hand how to do it. You may want to see where the $$ previous auctions ended up on this bike. If the end bids have been steady (down), then I would stay the course and put in a bid that you think he may come down to. (How do you know the seller's reserve price?) If you like all the mods the guy did, and were going to invest into all of these anyway 12.5 seems like a great deal! However, my position on this particular bike is that I wouldn't have done all those modifcations so I don't feel obligated to pay for them. Afterall - it is a used motorcycle. I agree with maleko89 at or around 12 would be an OK deal. The sugested NADA MSRP of course would be a steal. I would throw a bid it at the last minute of 11.5. He may bite if previous auctions closed lower than this. Anyway, for a non-dealer a purchase becom a personal thing and I wish you all the luck in the world on your decision.

PS What Clintard meant to say was: gives me a "little" stiffy....

Yup - I currently have a 98 TLR. :biglaugh: I love that thing! It has a bit of a cult following and it's a little different than every other out there...Kinda what drew me to the Mighty Max! And part of the reason I got the green light is that the wife wants to do some 2-up riding with me this summer and the TLR just isn't the machine for that.

Yes - I have the time to wait and the money to spend. This particular bike is within reasonable driving distance from me - and it helps that I have family in the same town! :banana:

Yes, I **think** I like the mods that have been done to the bike...However, in the sport bike world if you add $5000 in mods to a $10,000 bike - all you've got is a $10,000 bike with $5000 worth of stuff bolted on - not a $15,000 bike. Seems a bit different here in the V-Max world?

Also - are these the desirable/valuable mods that guys want in a bike? Handling improvement, performance improvement, etc. It's obvious that it looks better! :punk:

Yup - I currently have a 98 TLR. :biglaugh: I love that thing! It has a bit of a cult following and it's a little different than every other out there...Kinda what drew me to the Mighty Max! And part of the reason I got the green light is that the wife wants to do some 2-up riding with me this summer and the TLR just isn't the machine for that.

Yes - I have the time to wait and the money to spend. This particular bike is within reasonable driving distance from me - and it helps that I have family in the same town! :banana:

Yes, I **think** I like the mods that have been done to the bike...However, in the sport bike world if you add $5000 in mods to a $10,000 bike - all you've got is a $10,000 bike with $5000 worth of stuff bolted on - not a $15,000 bike. Seems a bit different here in the V-Max world?

Also - are these the desirable/valuable mods that guys want in a bike? Handling improvement, performance improvement, etc. It's obvious that it looks better! :punk:

Radials, fork and shock upgrades are the biggies...:thumbs up:

It makes it handle better, but compared to the SV or TLR it doesn't stand a chance...:whistlin:

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was comparing the TL to the V-max. I'm fully prepared for them to be completely different animals. I just need something that I'll enjoy both riding 2-up and solo - and the V-max seems to fit the bill for me nicely!

Well lets say we put Miguel Duhamel on both bikes then... The SV and TLR will eat the Vmax's lunch in the corners...:thumbs up:

:hmmm: Point of order...Point of order...Miguel Duhamel would never be caught dead on 20 y/o technology like a Vmax nor would he be caught dead on 10 y/o technology like a TLR!! :biglaugh: Leave that shiite to we mere mortals!!

Back