New to the site, getting rid of the fz1 for a vmax!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah my fz1 has a slew of upgrades done to it and it's no slouch that's for sure. A buddy with the same upgrades ran a mid 10 at 140 mph in south carolina

If you have any problems out of your new VMAX just send mark MALEKO a message and he will have you adjust your carb floats that usually fixes any problem with the VMAX

I'll just have to do that. I'm pretty familiar with carbs as i've rebuilt them on every carb'd bike i've owned except my shadow. Now I just need a vmax!

I miss that shadow...

Attachments

• IMAGE_135.jpg
    IMAGE_135.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
What year of FZ1 -

Comfort -
Extremely comfortable for a sporty bike. Sits upright. Modified the seat and it's a lot more comfy for sure.

Torque -
Should be mid to upper 70's to the wheel

HP - should be mid to upper 130's to the wheel

Bring the front end up -
Yeah the power is there. Some consider this one of the best wheelie bikes out there. It doesn't come up like a hooligan bike but my bike is lowered so it's not a biggie for me. I'm not a wheelie guy so I don't know a ton about it's wheelie capabilities. Apparently it's easy to control up there or something. I'm too chicken to find out

Handling -
Handles great. Won't notice a difference on the street from any sport bike. Althogh turn in is a bit heaier, obviously.. the grip is still there too and with a couple easy mdoifications, it can be a GREAT handling bike.

Braking -
Don't really ride hard enough to answer this well enough. They are responsive and have never had me feeling like they weren't strong enough

What RPM does the bike start to get fun -
It has PLENTY of torque at about 4k. Surprisingly stout down low. As far as super speed, it gets fast fast at around 7-8k and keeps climbing from there. I recently rode a modified 600cc sport bike and it felt like a honda rebel to me. The torque is addicting.

What other bikes have you raced it against and won -
I don't really go around racing bikes. Only guy I've messed around with is my buddy with his 124whp 636 ninja. I pretty much dusted him. He said he had raced a bunch of 600's and never lost, raced an rc51 and beat him, and that's about all i know. I'd say it's faster than a gixxer 750 but slower than a gixxer 1000. Apparently all the fz1 people say it's about as fast as a 929 honda.

What other bikes have you raced it against and lost -
only bike i messed with was the ninja mentioned above.

What made you want to switch to the VMax -
I wanted more of a cruiser since I don't utilize the fz1's capabilites. I don't take turns aggresively, don't make high rpm sprints a lot, and like to cruise around and ride 2up a lot. I still wanted the speed when i feel like it and the torque is great stoplight to stoplight. No to mention the sound is menacing

What is the worst thing about the FZ1 -
The looks i suppose. Really it looks fine just a bit too much wheel gap above the front wheel kinda makes it look cheesy some times. All it needs is the full fairing kit or a naked streetfighter kit and it'll look great. It really is a fantastic all around bike and I love it. It's just not the right bike for my riding style. Stoplight to stoplight cruising and a few short 0-50 bursts is not what this bike was meant for.

Just curious about this stuff because besides having a lot of power, both bikes seem to be substantially different, so I'm wondering what "hooked" you about the Max -

Cruiser with power and amazing sound

Thanks a lot for that review. Exactly what I was looking for.

Welcome to the vmax forum. The Max is a fun bike with an addicting sound of its own. I came from an XS11, which, like the FZ1, is also an inline 4. I appreciate all engine sounds, but the max has that mean growl that sounds like a V-8 stock car, IMO. The sound of one on a dyno hooked me in before I ever owned one.

The Max is pretty comfortable for me as is, but you need to get a Morley seat and the other well-documented mods.

The Max fits right in the middle for me. I'm not a tourer and I don't need a super sport bike. Max is somewhere in the middle. Can do both well enough.

imo the fz1 is the perfect "in the middle" bike. I plan on making my max comfy (will modify seat immiediately) for the wife and i, adding a backrest, and having a removeable big windscreen and saddlebags for longer trips. However, I mainly cruise around town so it's the perfect bike for me. Also, a 17" wheel is an absolute must imo

Got some crazy offers haha. Possibly have a buyer that wants to do a fly n buy but some of the offers are crazy. 1970 rust bucket pickup truck...85 max with 90k miles (straight trade)....Isuzu trooper....etc. Latest trade offer was the "best", being a vulcan 800 with 11k miles. Not a bad bike, but definitely not enough oomph for my likings.

I've put a fair number of miles on both the new FZ1 and Gen I FZ1. Personally, I liked the Gen I better. The new FZ1 is more powerful and feels lighter, but the old one was a better bike IMO.

The Vmax will not be as fast as your previous Gen I and it won't handle as well. To me, motorcycling is way more than those two things. I've had well over 30 bikes ranging from full bore sport bikes (2007 R6) to dual sports (XT350, KLR650, XR650), super slab sport tourers (FJR1300, Hayabusa, CBR1100XX, ZZR1200) and somebikes I can't quite categorize (R1150GS Adventure, RD400)
Bottom line is, the Vmax does something for me. It's not a tangible item. If you can find that in this particular model, you'll be smitten. If not, you'll be looking for something in the near future.
I hope you find that love and stick around. I've been involved with the Vmax crowd (though a silent member up until late) since 2000. You won't find a better group of people to help sort problems, banter back and forth, or annoy you to the point of pulling out your hair. Frankly, I woulnd't have it any other way.

Thank you for the post! I have always had a love for the vmax. I've ridden a couple now and just love the feeling/sound that the v4 gives. It's a great bike and still has a cult-like following. Hopefully some time shortly I'll be able to join the vmax crew.

I think the Vboost system is part of the bike's mystique. To me, a Vmax with no Vboost is like a VFR without gear driven cams. Something gets lost.

I've ridden stage 7 bikes and they have marginally better throttle response (once the tuning is complete)
Look for a low mileage stocker...or mild modded one. I think you'll be happier than buying someone else's project. There's alot of Vmaxs out there. You might have to drive to find a cherry one. It will be worth it in the end.

haha yeah I hear ya. I'm a big believer in building my own stuff (especially my cars). I'd still rather have a few modifications to begin with so I don't have to spend the extra money

I had my V-max before my brand new left over 06 FZ1 I got a killer deal on it. I say keep them both LOL.

'

Reason for assuming the vboost is unplugged is it doesn't synch up or whatever when you turn the key. However, it is NO slouch at all

I'm also pretty new to the Max, and I'm sure someone will correct me here, but I "THINK" the sound you're looking for when you turn the key is the fuel pump? At least this is what the dealer who sold it to me said.

Anyway...

I too thought my boost was disabled, then I found two switches. One to turn the cooling fan on when you want it, the other had two positions, boost on, and boost off. You may have a similar situation.

You ARE right about it not being a slouch though without the boost. What RPM did you rev to? Here's how "I" test it.

Get up to 90 in 5th gear, downshift to 4 and open it up. If boost is on, your shorts should be wet front and back when you come to a stop!!! :)

Gary

I took the fake tank off and inspected the carbs. There was in fact no vboost. It also had a few hoses left open and pod filters, leaving me to believe it was a stage 7. The speed felt like it was there, although I'm pretty used to speed with the fz1.

There are two sounds that come when you turn the key (if vboost isn't disabled). They both sound similar and both have a fuel pump-ish sound. The first one is the fuel pump, the second one immediately following should be the vboost opening and then closing. If the vboost is disabled, it is "stuck open" so to speak so it doesn't open and close in the beginning.

I have yet to ride one with the vboost enabled. I bet it has a "vtec yo" feel to it. Only much mroe oomph and a MUCH better sounding engine.

Got a few very interested people in the FZ1! Hopefully I'll become a vmax owner sooner than later!

still got my 05 for sale - lol. You might try craigslist but they only post to local areas so hard for people to find your trade request.

Sean

still got my 05 for sale - lol. You might try craigslist but they only post to local areas so hard for people to find your trade request.

Sean

How much are you asking for your '05 now? I've got a buddy that is seriously considering selling his R6 and getting a Vmax. He signed up on this site, but I don't think he's posted anything yet. I'm trying to convince him on yours since I know he wouldn't find a better one. Did you ever get any new pictures of it after you put it back to stock?

Latest posts

Back