New to this Forum...My First V-Max...Yahoo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterZ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I just got my first V-max...Yahoo! A 2003 with under 11K on the clock.
The Good: Low mileage and real nice shape. Got a good buy.

The Bad: The bike has sat for about 8 years. The PO never prepared it to be stored. That means : Old gas, Rust in tank, And the gas has turned into goo in the carbs.

I have searched the tech section but not gotten too far. The gas tank is out and I will derust with Muriatic Acid.

Any suggestions about what I can do to clear the carbs? I am hoping not to have to break them down if I can help it. What should I try first after the tank is cleaned and derusted? I have heard about using Sea Foam. Any thread on this topic?

Thanks in advance for any help,
ScottZ

welcome to the forum, the brotherhood, and your new addiction!

to clean out the carbs, do something called the "shotgun" and/or "peashooter" procedures. if you give me a couple minutes, i'll hunt down the steps. also once you get the tank back in, run some seafoam. very easy, just follow the instructions that are on the can

{edit}
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm
peashooter: 1/2 way down this page: http://home.comcast.net/~onlyone12/carbs1.htm
{/edit}

Welcome to the forum.

A great place to be and drop your whatevers or get advive or help.

Me myself and I are also new in the beasty max world and I love every minute of it.

Good luck with the clean out:punk:

The fact that it sat 8 years and tank was rusty leads me to believe you have to rebuild the carbs, possibly replace at least the fuel hoses and the fuel filter. You are likely to flush and replace pretty much all fluids on the bike (coolant, brake, clutch). Inspect all the other hoses as well. It sounds like it wasn't used much but still time alone does quite a damage. I would also inspect the brake pads ans hoses if you haven't already done so.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and good luck!

The fact that it sat 8 years and tank was rusty leads me to believe you have to rebuild the carbs, possibly replace at least the fuel hoses and the fuel filter. You are likely to flush and replace pretty much all fluids on the bike (coolant, brake, clutch). Inspect all the other hoses as well. It sounds like it wasn't used much but still time alone does quite a damage. I would also inspect the brake pads ans hoses if you haven't already done so.

+ 1 and welcome to the addiction. All that goo from the tank is also in your carbs , unless he drained them prior to putting the bike up ( for 8 years ) . I doubt he drained 'em. It's not extremely hard to re-build 'em , buy a replacement set , or send 'em to one of the gurus on the forum to rebuild for you.

X2 on that.. I went through all that after mine sat over 20 years..

Welcome!

assuming that you are a hobbyist who can manage a wrench, like myself, rebuilding carbs is simple if you are patient and methodical. if a pooter jockey can do it so can you.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Welcome to the forum ScooterZ. Best place to get all the info you need to get your VMax up and roaring again ! :punk:

Thanks for the welcome guys! I am real excited about getting the ole girl back up and roaring again. I have never ridden a V-Max so I think I'm in for a treat.
Z

Treat or Serious SHOCK......:rofl_200:Welcome to a Whole New World......:clapping:

Well it is a run ride, and the MOD monkey is lurking and you will learn all about his evil ways to part you of your hard earned cash

Latest posts

Back