nitrous question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
Please share your experiences with installing nitrous on your Max? Expense of doing this project? Where did you hook up nitrous (air box, etc.)? Expected HP gains? Expected problems? Any harm to engine?

Currently have Stage 2 dynajet, K&N air filter, and Kerker slip ons.

Thanks!

Please share your experiences with installing nitrous on your Max? Expense of doing this project? Where did you hook up nitrous (air box, etc.)? Expected HP gains? Expected problems? Any harm to engine?

Currently have Stage 2 dynajet, K&N air filter, and Kerker slip ons.

Thanks!

Been running nitrous on bikes and other things for over 25 years, crap, where does the time go. seems like yesterday when a grinning 16-year-old was unwrapping his package from NOS. Its pretty straight forward on the install. It varies from bike to bike due tue design charactoristics. Where to install is as diverse as the bikes owner. Some prefer a stealthy "What? I'm not running anything" look, others a cleaner look, and many choose the in-your-face, let it all hang out see you at the finish line look.

Costwise, you can get a system starting around the $600 range. Your going to want a wet setup for 750 or larger engines. Dry systems are for fuel injected bikes that can regulate thier own fuel increases. "Wet" being a shot of fuel is being added to the mix along with the N2O. Power output will depend on the jetting you use. expect pretty close to what the hp your jetting for the hp. It might be a little off, but I've seen some a little over too.

Take your time and triple check your work. Most systems are a basic system and can be installed by a first timer in a weekend at a leasurely, safe pace. Get a fuel safety switch, and a nitrous pressure gauge or regulator. Trust me on the fuel safety switch. Nobody told me about this when I first started, and all bloody hell can break loose when you go lean on the squeeze.

The safety switch will kill your nitrous if the fuel falls below a certain pressure (I say certain pressure cause some are adjustable, and some ppl like to run a little close to the scary side of low pressure). No fuel with the nitrous. For the math guys out there, the formula looks like this;
- C8H18 + N2O = $$ :bang head:

The pressure gauge, obviously to keep an eye on the N2O pressure. too much you go lean and from the math, we know bad things start to happen. With the regulator, no worries about bottle temp. If it hits the regulator at 1100psi the reg kicks it back down to a managable 750-800psi.

Things that add to the cost are the Gauges, Regulator, fuel cut-off switch.
I would definately add these items to your shopping list.

Other options would be progressive controller, purging system. Generally, on street bikes, purging systems are not really needed. But they look pretty sweet. I have a dual setup I've been putting off adding.

Rule of thumb on the size of hit is a Maximum of about 20hp per cyl on a stock motor that is properly tuned and in decent shape. Nitrous will not wake up a tired engine, only send it to it's grave. I've steup systems on bikes with as high as 70k miles and had no issues. A friends '86 V65 Magna is one example of a high mileage, older engine install. The last time I spoke with him he's still running around with it several years later.

If you choose to run nitrous, drop your spark plug's temperature. If your running a Dyna 3k ignition and plan on doing alot of spraying, use one of it's retard modes.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Last edited:
AWESOME INFO !! THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE KJ

NOS ON A MAX WITH ME880's IN THE RAIN.....NOW WHERE DID I LEAVE THAT LIFE INSURANCE POLICY???

I've run as much as 100hp on a stock engine but the trans failed pretty quickly. 40 hp is about as much as you want to go and still keep reliability. There are a few ways to go as noted but most bike systems use the fogger setups which are injectiing fuel and nitrous together into the intake.

I have one airbox system I want to sell ($500) and have a few pics of it and another setup we are installing on the big project build for another customer. Thought I had more pics of the plumbing but you can at least see how we setup the manifolds.

We weld up material onto the intakes then when we drill/tap them they will hold better. I think I have one set that was done by someone else on hand and of course can make more sets on exchange basis.

Sean

Attachments

• Airbox NOS.jpg
    Airbox NOS.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Nitrous Fittings in Intakes.jpg
    Nitrous Fittings in Intakes.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 51
oo i like the airbox system. something to def consider down the road. i've dropped some serious coin the bike lately, need to slow down, i didn't know u had kits tho sean.

oo i like the airbox system. something to def consider down the road. i've dropped some serious coin the bike lately, need to slow down, i didn't know u had kits tho sean.

C'mon bro, 2,700+ posts? by now you should realize, in a nutshell, If Sean doesn't do it, he has connections that does :punk: and I still can't believe I lost on the rolling burnout. hind-sight is 20/20, I should have just grabbed the brake like the other guy and let her rip. who am I kidding, I hate loosing period.:bang head:

Attachments

• Burnout_A.jpg
    Burnout_A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 19
haha i known he had done it, just nto that he had kits available!

nice smoke bro!

I would not go so far as saying there is a definite kit but we can help by preparing some of the harder items. Jeff H. did a lot of research and got everthing setup with Nitrous Express if someone wanted to duplicate what he had. The system works well and can be made easily enough again. HDkilla can probably get us some pics of the setup and post them here.

Sean

I would not go so far as saying there is a definite kit but we can help by preparing some of the harder items. Jeff H. did a lot of research and got everthing setup with Nitrous Express if someone wanted to duplicate what he had. The system works well and can be made easily enough again. HDkilla can probably get us some pics of the setup and post them here.

Sean

b/t the exhaust and jet kit i'm all set for this yr. but maybe in the spring.

honestly, what are we looking at for reliability and engine/tranny life issues, even with a 40 or 20 shot?

Trans will go at some point if you aren't shifting positive. Rods will give up if you try and use it too low in the rpm band. Other then that 40 shot will let it live for quite some time.

Sean

A low fuel pressure saftey is not a sure way of preventing a melt down. Alot of time the failure is the solenoids not the fuel pump or wiring. The way to go , dynajet has a wide band sensor that has a output to kill nos on a lean out that is very fast if you have a fuel failure.YOU got to have a rpm window switch set for a on rpm and a off rpm if it jumps out of gear or miss a gear.i set mine at on at 5,500 off at 10,200 but shift at 9600.Mount the fuel pressure gage in your face where you can read it, when you arm it always glance at it before you wax them.Most of the motorcyle kit have cheap pumps that only put out around 3.5 to 4 psi and its a pain in butt to set safety to work right.If its set to cut out around 2.5 or 3 you alredy leaned it out! nitrous express has a awsome small pump that puts out 6 psi that is great for safty swicth,just remimber that only covers the pressure feeding the solenoids not leaving if they fail. JOHN

Trans will go at some point if you aren't shifting positive. Rods will give up if you try and use it too low in the rpm band. Other then that 40 shot will let it live for quite some time.

Sean

shifting positive?

shift firmly into each gear. The 1-2 shift is the most difficult.

Sean

Back