No Etectrical power after washing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I washed my wife's Radian today. I went to start it and nothing. No headlight, signal lights, tailights, etc...

When I first turned the key on, everything came on as normal, but soon as I hit the start button, heard an electrical click and everything shut off???

Checked fuses, all good. Check battery, 12.5v with key in off position, but 0v when key is on the on position. With key on, disconnected the the positive on the battery and now have 12,5v at the battery?

Some help would be appreciated.

Mike

Sounds like something got wet and is shorting Mike...think I'd start by pulling all the covers and leaving fans on it for several hours.

Same thing happened to my 1260, think it was the dip switches in the Dyna box that got wet....not even wet, just a little steam from the pipes and it cut off.

Do you possibly have an add-on fuse for and accessory that may have popper? Can you "jump" or short the starter to get it to turn over as in possible bad starter solenoid?

Same thing happened to my 1260, think it was the dip switches in the Dyna box that got wet....not even wet, just a little steam from the pipes and it cut off.
I just installed my Dyna 3000 and didn't like how those switches are exposed, I am going to need to seal that up with some dielectric grease.

It could be your MAIN fuse (under the seat near the positive of the battery)

or has your starter relay stuck and is grounding your battery (through the starter...??)

Do you possibly have an add-on fuse for and accessory that may have popper? Can you "jump" or short the starter to get it to turn over as in possible bad starter solenoid?

I just installed my Dyna 3000 and didn't like how those switches are exposed, I am going to need to seal that up with some dielectric grease.

I sealed mine with sylicone and di-electric'd the connector plugs but don't want to test it cause it's such a PITA to dry it back out if it gets wet! And all it takes is just a little mist of stem and BAM!...it shuts off! :bang head:

Wire harness is all stock. The popping came from the kirksthand relay switch and/or the turn light module.

If you put a trickle changer on the battery, turn the key on and press the strarter button, the neutral light and oil light blinks??? Also, those two modules click repeatedly.

Took the starter button apart and cleaned it, still the same as above.

Mike

The oil light will come on whenever you press the starter (it should stay on until you leave go)

The clicking will be coming from your starter circuit cut-off relay (behind left scoop)
check it's contacts and the circuit to the sidestand switch (disconnect the sidestand switch if possible and short the contacts to rule that out)

Sometimes the internals of a battery short with a loud click. Battery is then toast. Might still show a 12v surface charge, but with absolutely ZERO amperage behind it. You might need to pull the battery and try putting it on a real charger, then load test it.

How are you making out with this Mike?

Well, here's my findings so far. 1 yr old AGM battery is toast - internal short :bang head:
Reads 12.56V, but under load it drops to near 0volts.

Also the handlebar switch housings are still original and time to be changed. the starter button was sticking and when I went to take it apart, one of the wires broke at the connection. Also have one wire on the kill switch that is looking bad too. Did manage to get it started after using a car battery and messing with the starter and kill switches.

So been searching ebay for the complete switch housings - was hoping for NOS, but that may not happen.

I think once the switch housings and battery are changed, than she will good as new.

Mike

Well that's not good news on the failures part of it but sounds like your well on your way to resolution. Are these Radian parts rare? Hopefully you can work up a cross reference with a more popular model.

You might try K&N in Tulsa as they advertise as being the oldest continuously operating Yamaha dealer in the US and have a warehouse of old OEM parts. One of my friends got a NOS 1971 XS650 headlight from them a year or so ago. Everywhere else said no longer available. They will have to look in the warehouse as the old stuff is not on a computer inventory unless recently added. Tell them you are a VMOA member for the great discount. Ask for Tyler McDonald.

Well that's not good news on the failures part of it but sounds like your well on your way to resolution. Are these Radian parts rare? Hopefully you can work up a cross reference with a more popular model.

The Radian was basically a parts bin bike, so other than Radian specific parts, most other parts can be located pretty easily.

As example, the Switch housings on the Radian handlebars are the same as on the Vmax, other than the plug in connectors.

I ordered the left and right switch housings off ebay today, so hopefully, I'll have this back together within the next two weeks.

Mike

You might try K&N in Tulsa as they advertise as being the oldest continuously operating Yamaha dealer in the US and have a warehouse of old OEM parts. One of my friends got a NOS 1971 XS650 headlight from them a year or so ago. Everywhere else said no longer available. They will have to look in the warehouse as the old stuff is not on a computer inventory unless recently added. Tell them you are a VMOA member for the great discount. Ask for Tyler McDonald.

Thanks for the info. Will keep it for next time as I have already ordered off ebay this time.

Mike

The Radian is alive!

New battery, old one shit the bed after one year. Fix the wiring issue in the stater/kill switch housing for now, until the new ones come in. Still want to change them out as they're 27 years old.

Bike fired right up and runs great!

Mike

Back