No reserve or fuel light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartolucci

Reaction score
I bought a 97 V-Max a few weeks ago and have put three tanks of gas through it. The low fuel light and reserve are not working. I've added 3.9 gallons with no light coming on beforehand. I checked fuses. Is this a familiar issue to anyone? The fuel light comes on during the "test" when turning on the key prior to start up.

Well, I thought one thing till you said it comes on during start up. Mine was a bad bulb socket. Yours may be the sensor.
It's a pretty simple circuit supplying a ground to the bulb when the fuel level gets low. Good Luck....

Use the "Search" function on this site and get all the info you need to trouble shoot this. If you don't/can't find it, post your email address and I can forward you the link.
PATMAX

a common mistake is people run the switch to the left which is reserve, should be towards the right where it says on. weird how they labeled it. i know should still get light but on one of my bikes i can run it on reserve and run it dry with no light if i forgot or moved the switch by accident, if i run it on ON and then light comes on, switch to res and wont go far, but light sometimes slowly goes out, then soon after bike runs out anyways hahahaha

where are you running the res switch?

I searched the site before, but I guess I missed any links with connections to my current problem. When I drove the bike home for the first time I ran out of gas on the expressway. I think the switch was "On" (right) then, but I'm not positive. I did try switching it when it sputtered to no avail. Sat under a bridge while a friend ran for fuel! I have been keeping it on "On" since but haven't had occasion to "test" it again. But I did get down to about .2 of a gallon in the tank (i.e. put 3.9 gal in) and never got a sputter. I would think that the reserve would have been needed before that which leads me to conclude that it's stuck on reserve. I'm just fueling up before I get to 120 miles or so. In 3 tanks my best gas mileage has been 35 mpg. I've not been running it hard, either.

35's about right for the average. I looked back but didn't find anything in my notes that would help you more....:sad2:

I guess he doesn't want the link since he refuses to post up his email address. Too bad, Gleno had written a great article on it back on 6/26/08.
Some people just can't be helped I guess...

Thanks for the help guys. I may have to wait until winter or spring before I have the time to track this one down. For now I'll keep a close eye on the ol' tripometer.

Latest posts

Back