No spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marecki

Reaction score
So I swapped to COPs last year, swapped them out, bike ran good... pulled the vmax out in March and went for a ride, first day all was good... second day bike died, I thought maybe the petrol I got was bad or cop went south... today I had a chance to pull the vmax out and check things, replaced the spark plugs with brand new ones still not firing so I figured I'd check spark... none, checked all 4 cyls no spark.

Checked voltage @ battery 13.5 when off and 12 when 'trying to fire'

checked voltage @ cop 11.86 with key in ignition but switch on 'off' and the voltage drops to 0.08 when switch is turned to 'run'

I even pulled one of the old ignitors and installed it to check if there's going to be spark... no dice no spark... that means the problem isn't with the cops, it's got to be something between the battery and cops.

Any input would be super!

Cos ty znowu napsul? :)

Begin from "starting circut". Most v-maxers have thier sidestand switches or start switches bad from water or dirt. You may want tp inspect those - im sure you will find nice "how to" tutorials here.

Tell us more. Is there a fuel pump clik and v-boost servo selftest sound?

Haha, Cze Przemek :) A co zes ty zrobil na polskim forum? haha

Selftest - Yes it runs
Fuel Pump - Yes it clicks
12v thing next to the 30a fuse also clicks when hitting 'start'
Everything lights up normally Koso gauges and stock
Bike is churning like it wants to start but there's no spark so not starting.
Alarm is removed so that wont cause a problem.

I checked the kickstand switch it looks fine and shows enabled on koso
Neutral is also engaged and shows engaged on koso
* Not that these last two matter since they wont stop spark*

Kilka razy mnie oszukano i do tego ciagle krytykowano - jednym slowem pierdole takie towarzystwo !

The last thing that comes on my mind would be the pickup coil failure.
Grab the multimeter and check the resistance on that sucker - 130 Ohm im my memory serves.
Those suckers likes to have bad wires too!

STARTER SWITCH (Part # 3UF-81940-00-00)

Any way of this going bad and or checking if it's good?

I checked voltage on it and was showing 12.8v when trying to start. Any way of bypassing it temporarly?

Where is the pickup coil? And any way of testing?

Stupid question - ignition fuse?

Start switch disconnects 12v from headlight while you want to start the bike - due the cranking power and energy savings for that.

Starter switch also connects the GND to starter relay - shes cranking good ey?

A propo Polskiego forum, dobrze zrobiles tez bym sie nie pierdolil

All fuses look good (main and the 4 of 5 under faux tank)

She cranks strong, no problems with cranking. Light is bright and strong too.

A propo Polskiego forum, dobrze zrobiles tez bym sie nie pierdolil

All fuses look good (main and the 4 of 5 under faux tank)

She cranks strong, no problems with cranking. Light is bright and strong too.

Niech sie bawia sami...bez mnie szybko zanikna...

So i dont see any other explenation then pickup coil or starting circut - nothing more related to "no spark" :confused2:
Could be bad TCI but the newer types dont go bad :ummm:

Starting circuit is the brass 12v thing next to 30a fuse, correct?

So I check the Ohms on black and orange cable under the seat, I know where that is, I'll check it out.

Starting circuit is the brass 12v thing next to 30a fuse, correct?
Yes and it goes through many devices like relays, sidestand swith etc.

So I check the Ohms on black and orange cable under the seat, I know where that is, I'll check it out.
You may try to hook the meter while cranking the engine and see if there's any change on display - should be beteween 130 and 10 Ohm.

Should the starting circuit make a click when trying to start bike?

I'll try to get to it tomorrow after work and test it, I need to do a few more things on my cbr this week and it comes at a priority.

I'd bet it's the pickup coil. Mine did the exact same thing and I tried everything and it wound up being the pickup coil. They are kinda pricey but if you go to metricparts.com they have them for about $260.

beside checking ohm's any other way to test the pickup coil? Also, how will I know it's bad/good... Przemek said 300 is where it should be, so if its lower than 300 is it bad?

My pick up coil went bad and measured 0 ohms. My bike died on me a couple of times and then while running in the driveway finally failed hard. No spark at any cylinder. I have my bike apart right now still trying to get all the gasket material off the case and block. I'll take a picture of where the connector is and post it tomorrow or later tonight.

If the pick up coil is the problem, the Phillip's screws holdng it in place are difficult to get out without stripping the head. I used my ratchet with a large Philips bit in a 1/4 socket and mangled them a bit. I plan on replacing them with a hex head screw.

Plan on spending a significant amount of time scrapping the old gasket material off the covers and block. Best to have a razor blade and scotch brite pad. I have spent 2 hours trying to get this stuff off and still don't have it all off.

On reassembly plan on using a little bit of gasket sealer around the grommet and block opposite the grommet.

I use an old set of wood chisels for scraping gaskets off. The chisels are different size widths and that helps. You just have to be careful and not gouge the surface.

Haven't had a chance, we've had bad weather every day except yesterday, but I had to work late last night :\ today it's raining again.

Maxist, please take photos, would be a great help!

Latest posts

Back