Non-Vmax clutch issue help please.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

click-it

Reaction score
I have a question. My friend has a 02 Shadow and when the bike is rode about 45 min to a hr the clutch lever seems to lose all pressure and is so loose and can't be shifted by the lever. Once it cools completely down it has pressure again and works. Drained all fluid and did a good clutch bleeding and change of fluid. Bike has only 3,000. miles on it. Any ideas what would cause this?

Sounds like something in the system is expanding. I wonder if the slave is bad?? It is probably like ours and exposed to the heat of the engine. I would have initially said air in the lines but sounds like you have tried that.

Sean

My bud just fixed a similar prob with his 85 Saber - his turned out to be the master cyl. A small amount of air was introduced every time he hit the clutch & after about 45 min of riding there was so much air in the system he couldn't shift any more. He bled & bled & rebuilt the slave, then replaced the slave, but he finally fixed it with a new master cyl. ( from Gary McCoy of course ) I had a 1998 Dodge pickup truck in my fleet with the exact same problem, but only one in 26 years , so I guess it's pretty rare. This , however , would not explain your friends clutch coming back when it cools off - is he bleeding it after it cools, or is it fine from just sitting with no re-bleed ?

I wonder if air is getting into the lines around the master cylinder, and then after it sits for a while, the air bubbles travel up (bleeds itself, basically) and functions again, until you go to use it and get more air in the lines. ??

Let us know what you find out.

Jeff

I would go with rebuilding the slave cyl first. It takes the most abuse with engine heat. My max had a similar issue, was the slave cyl, every time I applied the clutch, the slave wouldn't return all the way, more and more fluid in it till it was slipping from no release. Usually took about the distance from home to work or work to home, about 25 miles. $15 kit and it's good as new. +1 on letting us know what you found. Good luck sir.

Latest posts

Back