now running hot and fan not seeming to turn on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes MacLean

Reaction score
I just changed my yamalube over to amsoil (20w50 to 20w50 amsoil) and also changed my coolant (regular prestone for aluminium engines). Bike is now running closer to the hot zone when riding around subdivision slowly and the fan has not yet turned on. I bled the coolant and seemed to be no locked air but now when I check and run the bike (couple of minutes idling) with rad manifold cover off the coolant rises - would this mean an air lock somewhere?

Also, when should I expect the fan to turn on...at what point on my temp gauge...when it gets into the red zone or just prior? I checked the fuse and it is good.

Many thanks!
Wes
04 vmax

I just changed my yamalube over to amsoil (20w50 to 20w50 amsoil) and also changed my coolant (regular prestone for aluminium engines). Bike is now running closer to the hot zone when riding around subdivision slowly and the fan has not yet turned on. I bled the coolant and seemed to be no locked air but now when I check and run the bike (couple of minutes idling) with rad manifold cover off the coolant rises - would this mean an air lock somewhere?

Also, when should I expect the fan to turn on...at what point on my temp gauge...when it gets into the red zone or just prior? I checked the fuse and it is good.

Many thanks!
Wes
04 vmax

My fan would kick in well into the red. I believe the switch would turn on the fan about 220ishdeg, hart to tell with just a color coded guage. I switched guages and thermo switches and now it turns on the fan about 190-200deg.

Hot wire your fan to the battery to make sure it's working. Most people wire in a manual switch to bring the fan on earlier so it doesn't run so hot. Easy to do and well worth it.
Sounds like your cooling system could do with a good flush. Did you turn the plastic valve to 'drain' while emptying your coolant, and back to 'off' once done?

thanks for the feedback folks! Looks like a good flush is in order along with either a new temp sensor and/or a switch installed! Yes, I turned the drain cock to 'on' when draining the coolant but sounds like another attempt and flush is in store. THanks again, really appreciate the feedback!
Wes
04 vmax

Back