Oil Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmannon

Reaction score
Anyone reading the forums lately know of the troubles I have been having, charging, carbs, ignition :damn angry: I think I bought a money pit :damn angry: I am ready part this thing out!

I had been having carb problems and adjusting, cleaning etc. I finally got a break in the weather on Monday and took the bike for a quick spin around the block. No more than 5 mins (it was pretty cold). I got back turned it off and went upstairs. Then last night I go into the garage for something and there is a BIG oil spot under the right hand side of the bike :damn angry: not a drip, a major leak :confused2: I was :damn angry: :damn angry: :damn angry: so I didnt look at it too close but it looked to be coming from around the water pump area. I am gonna look closer tonight.

Any ideas what would just suddenly start spewing oil in that location?

Maybe a faulty water pump cover gasket or the plug/oring to the main oil galley is bad. The plug is where you attach an oil pressure gauge. It may also be a clutch cover gasket. I'd clean everything up, top-off with oil and pin-point the leak.

I have never worked on a bike as much as I have with my max either.I just keep convincing myself how much it is worth it when all is good.Buying a used bike can be unreliable but eventually it will come around with some patience and some money.

Ive been spoiled the the last few yrs. In 2003 I had a 2000 ZRX1100 w/ 4k miles on it. Then in 2004 I bought a brand new zero mile 2000 GSXF750 and rode it for a yr. In 2005 I bought a 2003 XVS650 and rode it till late 2006.

Now I have the Max which is 21 yrs old and it is giving me fits. But it pulls harder than any of those newer bikes even messed up. It should be totally :rocket bike: when (if) I fix all the BS that is wrong with it.

Just keeping my optimism up is sometimes tuff I feel like :bicycle:

Hang in there man and ask for all the advice you want to.
Mark is right in needing to just clean the hell out of it and then locate the leak.

Vmax's are not that prone to leaking really, unless the engine has been opened up and not properly sealled/gasketed back together.

I know this sounds stupid but 90% of the leaks I've seen on these bikes was coming from the crankcase breather hose that plugs into the bottom of the air box not being plugged back in. I'ts a pain in the ass to get this hose in place.
A pair of right angle needle nose will usually do the trick though.

Good point Rusty. That is a beatch to get back on. I have to remove the carbs and vboost manifold to get to it.

To find a leak, you could always get some crankcase dye at your local Napa and then use a black light/goggles to locate the leak. I had to do that when I had a shift shaft seal and stator grommet fail.

When you say right hand side, is that the side kickstand side or the other side? Also what year is your VMax again.

It is very strange to have oil leaking on the right side.When the bike is on its sidestand all the oil is over on the left side.The complete clutch can be removed with the oil in when its leaning to the left on the sidestand.
I think Rusty has a good point,Check the breather tube from the oil gallery under the carbs to the air box bottom.Specially if you were cranking pretty good on it.Oil likes to come up the tube and into the airbox.

Buster Hymen said:
When you say right hand side, is that the side kickstand side or the other side? Also what year is your VMax again.

It is an '86 and it is NOT the kickstand side.

wfcall said:
Hang in there man and ask for all the advice you want to.
Mark is right in needing to just clean the hell out of it and then locate the leak.

Vmax's are not that prone to leaking really, unless the engine has been opened up and not properly sealled/gasketed back together.

I know this sounds stupid but 90% of the leaks I've seen on these bikes was coming from the crankcase breather hose that plugs into the bottom of the air box not being plugged back in. I'ts a pain in the ass to get this hose in place.
A pair of right angle needle nose will usually do the trick though.
ok....question for you....on the airbox....front side ,theres anotherplace to hook a hose up to.....do you hook a hose to it, and if so, where does it go?
Mine has no hose on it....just the back one for the crankcase breather.

Dreamster66 said:
ok....question for you....on the airbox....front side ,theres anotherplace to hook a hose up to.....do you hook a hose to it, and if so, where does it go?
Mine has no hose on it....just the back one for the crankcase breather.

mine only has the hose on the back

No hose needed. It's to drain water in case it gets inside of the airbox.

wfcall said:
I know this sounds stupid but 90% of the leaks I've seen on these bikes was coming from the crankcase breather hose that plugs into the bottom of the air box not being plugged back in......
I had the air box off again today and when I put it back I took extra care in making sure the breather hose was attached well. Then I went for a 60 mile ride and low and behold when I got home I saw no evidence of oil anywhere.

So I am starting to think this was the problem, although I saw no signs of oil on the bottom of the breather box or running down the hose.

Got me, :confused2: , but there is no oil on the garage floor, which makes me happy :eusa_dance:

Back