Oil Pressure switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an automotive type oil pressure switch that is the same thread size and doesn't protrude out very far to screw into the oil pressure test plug. If I could find something compact enough I would use that to install an oil pressure light. thanks

I was looking for the same thing but couldn't find a clear answer. I think this maybe what is needed but I'm not 100% sure. If you're planning on using an analog gauge then all you need to do is run a line from the plug on the side of the engine cover to the gauge (COO sells the kits, they are from $60 up depending what you want) For digital gauge, I haven't found a compact sending unit yet.

http://www.drchassis.net/store/inde...ducts_id=225&zenid=89rn3jm1otahf33dnpq80nd5q4

An automotive style switch probably wouldn't be ideal for the Vmax. Most auto switches are set for 5-6psi or so, and a hot vmax motor has 2-3 psi at best. Many people have zero indicated on hot idle, which would probably lead to lots of un-necessary worrying.

If you want an oil pressure gauge, look here. He makes an adapter that replaces the galley plug and then has a (I think) a 1/4" NPT female thread in it for the line that goes to the gauge. I suspect if you wanted to just order an adapter for your own gauge/switch configuration.

I have one of his handlebar mount gauges. Great quality, installed in a snap and Tom is a great guy to work with.

I used a Subaru oil drain plug crush washer behind mine on the initial installation(never used the included fiber washer). It's bone dry a full season later. Some people reported the adapter leaking with the included washer.

I have several more on hand if you want one, or any Subaru dealer will have a crap-ton of them in stock. I called mine and they had like 700 something.

An automotive style switch probably wouldn't be ideal for the Vmax. Most auto switches are set for 5-6psi or so, and a hot vmax motor has 2-3 psi at best. Many people have zero indicated on hot idle, which would probably lead to lots of un-necessary worrying.

If you want an oil pressure gauge, look here. He makes an adapter that replaces the galley plug and then has a (I think) a 1/4" NPT female thread in it for the line that goes to the gauge. I suspect if you wanted to just order an adapter for your own gauge/switch configuration.

I have one of his handlebar mount gauges. Great quality, installed in a snap and Tom is a great guy to work with.

I used a Subaru oil drain plug crush washer behind mine on the initial installation(never used the included fiber washer). It's bone dry a full season later. Some people reported the adapter leaking with the included washer.

I have several more on hand if you want one, or any Subaru dealer will have a crap-ton of them in stock. I called mine and they had like 700 something.

i have 12 as well i think, hehe...

Wow, didn't realize that about the hot engine low oil pressure. Maybe that is why they come with an oil level light(?). I have thought about the engine mount gauge, but don't really like the location. The handlebar mount would be more my style but I can't find one that is backlit. Thanks for the info and link.

Maybe that is why they come with an oil level light(?).

The oil pickup is located in the rear of the oil pan, but the oil sensor is in the front. Under acceleration i't's not uncommon to have the oil light come on. This is where an oil pressure gauge will come in handy. Also, the oil light won't come on if your O-ring pops and your not riding hard, thus robbing your engine of proper lubrication. This will show up on the oil pressure gauge too.

I wish they had back lighting too! Sucks that you can see what your gauge is reading when its dark.

Latest posts

Back