Oil wicking out of stator wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanders

Reaction score
I was in the process of replacing my voltage regulator. I cut the three wires from the stator and left them hanging for a couple of days while parts arrived. In those couple of days a puddle of oil formed under the wires. Oil was wicking through the wires from the stator.

This probably is not a good thing. I'm thinking I need to replace my stator. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks

That would be normal for some oil to be inside the wires coming from your pick up coils, Because you left them hanging it just allowed some to siphon out is all. Not sure why you would cut then tho.

I cut the three white wires coming from the stator to the voltage R/r. The original connection that is approximately straight down from the seat was cracking and crumbling. I cut the wires there so I could replace the connection, and wire in the connectors that would fit a MOSFET R/r.

Seems odd though. I have had small static like shocks arcing across to my legs while riding. I have completely gone through the wiring harness and haven't found anywhere were electricity could be arcing to the frame. Wondering if this oil in the wires is enough to cause a short that would cause this problem.

Well transformers are filled w/oil to cool the circuit. If you spray the wire harness w/a spritzer misting bottle at night W/the engine running, in a dark garage, you may see where the insulation is leaking current to ground.

When you connect the 3 wires from the stator to the regulator/rectifier - be sure to have a good solid electrical connection, or the new connections will get hot like many of ours did, due to resistance across the connections. I smoked my original connector... Melted the damn thing.

Back