OK, looks like clutch is crapping out...what to get and how hard to change?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBreinin

Reaction score
Well, I installed my Super Trapps today and went for a ride. The bike sounds great and pulls very strong. Problem is, the addition of the pipes exarcerbated the already slipping clutch. Once it warms up it is now slipping in third as well. So much for the wisdom that these pipes add no power. The bike never slipped in third gear before these were installed.

So, I am going to change the clutch.

What does everyone suggest and how hard is it to do the clutch?

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the process? I have a shop manual, but it is not that great if you have never done a motorcycle clutch.

Thanks!

Mike

I have PCW and it has plenty of holding power....no slippage at all. Double D is okay except I don't like the increased lever effort.

Mark

Thanks for the tip. Does PCW sell an entire "package" with their spring and clutch discs? I want to ditch that clutch boss deal and go to an 8 disc setup.

What abou the Barnett coil spring conversion? I think I have read here that some are using this. How is this setup?

Mike

It really comes down to your hands. If you are a healthy man with avg saize hands its no issue. I have the D&D clutch mod in my MAX and have been to Bike Week in Daytona sitting in traffic cruising all night with no bitching about the clutch lever.
Here is everything you need to do your clutch and D&D mod. I also have no slippage making 122+ RWHP and with NOS 175+ RWHP
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Shouldnt take you no longer than an hour.

:thumbs up:

OK, to clarify here.

If I do the DD mod I need 8 friction plates and the stock number of metal plates along with two clutch springs? You just stack the clutch springs?

Also, you are using stock stuff from Yamaha when you do the DD mod?

Mike

OK, to clarify here.

If I do the DD mod I need 8 friction plates and the stock number of metal plates along with two clutch springs? You just stack the clutch springs?

Mike

7 Steels
8 Frictions
2 Clutch Springs
1 Clutch Cover Gasket
Yes the clutch springs go together / stacked.
If you have a micrometer you can check the thickness on the friction plates. No I dont know the specs. Goto VMAXOUTLAW.COM and download the service manual it has all the specs in there.
Yes, in my personall opinion factory clutch components do cost more but I have never had any clutch problems.

OK, to clarify here.

Mike
Yamaha friction discs are the best!

OK, so I guess I will just get the parts from the dealer. Maybe they will be in stock and I can do this job over the weekend.

A couple more questions though.

How many steels are in there now? Are seven already in, or do I need to buy a seventh?

Also, do I re-use my spring and add a second new one...or do I buy two new springs?

Thanks!

Mike

OK, so I guess I will just get the parts from the dealer. Maybe they will be in stock and I can do this job over the weekend.

A couple more questions though.

How many steels are in there now? Are seven already in, or do I need to buy a seventh?

Also, do I re-use my spring and add a second new one...or do I buy two new springs?

Thanks!

Mike

You need one more steel and one more friction disc.You can put another stock spring over yours.Mine has a PCW 60% stronger spring and a stock spring.DD&1/2.I am not sure about the stock spring price,PCW might be cheaper and they will also have a gasket and the discs.That's what I did when I redid my clutch.

You need one more steel and one more friction disc.You can put another stock spring over yours.Mine has a PCW 60% stronger spring and a stock spring.DD&1/2.I am not sure about the stock spring price,PCW might be cheaper and they will also have a gasket and the discs.That's what I did when I redid my clutch.

Ok, cool. I am going to try local first, since it is a Thursday. If I cannot get the parts locally, I will order from PCW. I wanted to do the job this weekend and time is running out for that.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

I ended up ordering the PCW kit. For the record, when they sell you their kit and 8 friction discs they do not sell you an extra steel disc as they have some sort of gasket or something that circumvents the need for a seventh steel disc. The price was very good too...better than the dealership for sure.

I hope I have a good holding clutch after this! :bang head:

Mike

Latest posts

Back