Old school styling :drool:

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxVMax

Reaction score
I just got through reading the new Motorcyclist and seen the new 2013 CB 1100 in there:punk: Love the old school look and the instrument cluster . I have always wanted a CB750 my 2nd most fav bike after the Vmax . I bet this is one fun ride :hippy biker: May have to change future plans now :bang head:

Attachments

• 2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-50100-7.jpg
    2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-50100-7.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_6.jpg
    2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_6.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_5.jpg
    2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_5.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_4.jpg
    2013-honda-cb1100-screams-classic-attitude-medium_4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 59
It looks great that's for sure, but I think I would be looking for a little more umph from my ride. I have always liked the Honda gauge setups, would like to have something like my old VF700s setup.

Attachments

• vmf700s gauges.jpg
    vmf700s gauges.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 22
The favorite clocks for me were KZ1000J gauges. I have a '74 CB750K just sitting in storage, I bought it from my friend who is a machinist. I also have access to a '78 K which needs an engine. I like the new Honda, it hits a lot of the style cues.

If they were going for the retro look, WHY on earth would they opt for the single-sided exhaust????
Why not 4-2, or, FOUR INTO FOUR, with heat guards?
Now THAT would be retro!:eusa_dance:

I like it!

Wish all the Japanese Mfg's would put out a Retro bike......Not just a tribute but a true retro like the one posted below....

Then again I also think the Camaro should have used the exact same skin as the '67-68, or '69 with "legal" bumpers and late model underpinnings too

I had both 750f &900f they were fun bikes. I want to find another v65sabre once my Max is complete.

I had both 750f &900f they were fun bikes. I want to find another v65sabre once my Max is complete.

Never had the Sabre, always wanted one, had two V65's and loved them....Wanted another one till finding out about availability of both the bikes and the parts.....

What was the first thing SOHC CB750 owners did after getting the bike? They installed a 4/1! I think it's a good choice, as many owners would do the same thing.

The comment made about the 1st Gen F bodies-when the '70-1/2 2nd Gen F bodies were released, especially in the Z28, the styling was like nothing in Detroit. The inside was the same thing, about the only post WWII production car that could compare, to that date, for a dash design was the Studebaker Golden Hawk which coincidentally had such a futuristic shape, it made the competition look very dated by comparison. The Gen II F body looked like something from Maranello Italy instead of Warren MI. The split bumper and the eggcrate protruding frenched grille worked perfectly w/the front clip lines, the fastback roof, and the multiple round taillamps in the rear flattened-oval fascia to set an iconic ten year production run. I sure enjoyed them as I owned two T/A's & a Z28 2nd Gen. One was an actual '77 limited-edition 400 Pontiac WS-6 "Smokey & the Bandit" w/all the factory pinstriping, snowflake wheels, and Hurst T-hatches. It is probably one of the most-cloned cars ever.

My belief is the 1st Gen. VMax has the same timeless styling unlike anything else offered at the time, and with the same ability to stomp the snot out of nearly anybody-else in stock trim at the time.

If they were going for the retro look, WHY on earth would they opt for the single-sided exhaust????
Why not 4-2, or, FOUR INTO FOUR, with heat guards?
Now THAT would be retro!:eusa_dance:

If I had won the lotto... I would buy that bik in a new York minuet . Then I would paint it and put the side cover tags from my 650 custom on it!

If I ever find some (really cheap) side covers for my Max, I'll put "500" tags on it. Most of these kids on 600 crouch rockets wouldn't even know.

I think it would have been better with 4 into 4 pipes. Maybe they could offer 2 models- one with 4 into 1 and the other with 4 into 4

My first bike was an 82 VMF750 SABRE, I loved that machine!!! I guess that is why I'm partial to V4 cruisers and not the crotch rockets fellows of my age group are into,,,,

Never had the Sabre, always wanted one, had two V65's and loved them....Wanted another one till finding out about availability of both the bikes and the parts.....

The comment made about the 1st Gen F bodies-when the '70-1/2 2nd Gen F bodies were released, especially in the Z28, the styling was like nothing in Detroit. The inside was the same thing, about the only post WWII production car that could compare, to that date, for a dash design was the Studebaker Golden Hawk which coincidentally had such a futuristic shape, it made the competition look very dated by comparison. The Gen II F body looked like something from Maranello Italy instead of Warren MI. The split bumper and the eggcrate protruding frenched grille worked perfectly w/the front clip lines, the fastback roof, and the multiple round taillamps in the rear flattened-oval fascia to set an iconic ten year production run. I sure enjoyed them as I owned two T/A's & a Z28 2nd Gen. One was an actual '77 limited-edition 400 Pontiac WS-6 "Smokey & the Bandit" w/all the factory pinstriping, snowflake wheels, and Hurst T-hatches. It is probably one of the most-cloned cars

I had a 70 1/2 Pontiac Trans Am, Ram Air IV with 400 TH, white with the blue stripe.
I still think its the best looking car I ever owned. Wish I still had it of course.
Alas, they're way out of my price league now....

I loved the gauges on my V65 Magna, wish I could get a gear indicator on my Vmax somehow but I will eventually. I'm not a big fan of the flat as a board look of this retro style. I think the Japanese makers saw how much better the Harley's looked even back then and followed suit and that's when the V65 and other asian bikes started making the Harley style look with the tank raising up towards the front and lowering the seat. I'd still like to get another V65 someday.

I loved the gauges on my V65 Magna, wish I could get a gear indicator on my Vmax somehow, but I will eventually.
I know of a max owner working on this mod at present. Relatively simple, using a Venture part, and LED indicator lights. If I can get the details of the finished, working modification, I'll pass it on to you.
Cheers!

I loved the gauges on my V65 Magna, wish I could get a gear indicator on my Vmax somehow, but I will eventually.
I know of a max owner working on this mod at present. Relatively simple, using a Venture part, and LED indicator lights. If I can get the details of the finished, working modification, I'll pass it on to you.
Cheers!

I think the royal start or venture gear indicator drum is a direct swap??

I think the royal start or venture gear indicator drum is a direct swap??

That's my understanding, 6 seperate wire coming off the gear indicator drum, but will they power 6 seperate LED's? Or do you need to add switched power feed to the circuit? Wiring is not my strong suit and I haven't had the facilities to tear a bike down properly to try to figure this type of stuff out. Hopefully soon though.

I, for one, have no problems at all with your DDouble posts, Redbone- Please continue!:biglaugh:

That's my understanding, 6 seperate wire coming off the gear indicator drum, but will they power 6 seperate LED's? Or do you need to add switched power feed to the circuit? Wiring is not my strong suit and I haven't had the facilities to tear a bike down properly to try to figure this type of stuff out. Hopefully soon though.

Never wired one but I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be a separate wire that gets a ground signal when its in that gear, just like our neutral works.
Meaning the led or bulb for that gear would always be supplied with a positive, looking for a negative on the other side of the bulb or led which it would get through the indicator switch taking that particular wire to ground.

I had a 701/2 Trans Am Ram air IV "royal bobcat" Blue, white stripe, saddle inside. Mine was a 4 speed with a 3.90 posi rear. Right after I bought it, my girlfriend and I (who later became my wife) drove to Florida. I wanted an oil change when I got down there, so I took it to the local Pontiac dealer. It drew quite a crowd. The owner loaned me a boniville convertible to use, and did the oil change (and a great "detail job") when I agreed to let him put it on display in his showroom for the 10 days I was down there. I checked with 4 dealers trying to get them to order a Ram air IV, and only Royal Pontiac (Royal Oak, MI) could find the "special numbers" for the Ram Air IV. Had that car right up until my Wife divorced me in 1999.

Back