OMG the stator pulley is tight!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
I have to get the front pulley off the motor to do the starter bolts.

I bought one of those 3 bolt pullers, and broke it.
The next one I bent the bolt.
I've got a better one now.
I still couldn't get it off.

The last thing I did was heat the centre of the pulley up to about 330'C, 540'F. Then I tightened it up as much as I could with the impact gun, and then left the socket on it and beat the shit out of it with a 3 lb hammer.
I locked it up with a crowbar against the ground and tried to get it tighter with a 2 foot strongarm bar, and couldn't get it any tighter.

I have to cut the socket off now.
The puller is a bit bent.

Am I missing something?:ummm:

yeah i had absolutely zero luck with three jaw puller. also beating it with a hammer didn't do anything. heat didn't do anything. used CaptainKyle's Stinger puller and a 6 foot cheater bar. make sure you grade 8 bolts

The bolts are the key. The bolts that come with the pullers are not strong enough. Grade 8 (though note some metric classifications will call it 12.12 or something like that).

i have a headache just thinking about this job. if the crow foot puller didn't work i'd def try a jaw puller
+1 g. Thank God, I only remember the sheer joy of hearing the flywheel pop off and not the agonizing days that preceded it. Thanks again Cap'n K!

Stick with it, baz! With grade 8 bolts and a $h!t-ton (and I mean A $H!T TON) of persuasion, it will pop off.

wow, mm. that's cool. i'll keep this in mind for the next time...which i hope is never. hahahaha

Thank you all!

My missus was joking, saying that someone on here was going to tell me about the secret bolts. :biglaugh:

It's nice to have some positive direction to go. The bolts are grade 5 so that's a starting point.
That mod looks good Steve! I don't really have the gear to do it, but that will be on the cards too.
I think I'll also check to see if I can rent a hydraulic puller.

I got an excuse to pick up some new clutch bolts today. And some shiny new fork pinch bolts. And maybe a new water pump cover o-ring. And a new oil filter cover o-ring. And and and

That'll teach her to joke... I'm going shopping! :eusa_dance:

BTW the funniest thing was telling her I was doing this so I could tighten 3 bolts up and put it back on. :rofl_200:

BTW the funniest thing was telling her I was doing this so I could tighten 3 bolts up and put it back on. :rofl_200:

My old lady learned after the first couple "just three bolt" fixes. It's never "just three bolts". The conversation goes,

"hey hon, i was ..."
"what's wrong with the bike now and are we going to be able to feed our daughter?"
I'll always find something else and tell her that it's more cost effective if I do the fix now "while I'm in there". :rofl_200:

Modify your puller as shown here. I can confirm it does the trick from personal experience.

:punk: Nice looking puller. Pcw sells a puller for this application for $139 sounds like a good deal. Good Luck, Spurs
flywheel_puller03.jpg

:punk: Nice looking puller. Pcw sells a puller for this application for $139 sounds like a good deal. Good Luck, Spurs
flywheel_puller03.jpg

Id put in a few bucks and make it the vmf puller! maybe if others want to too? Thoughts?

I was going to have a set of bolts made and either sell them or loan them out. Maybe my NC helper can fix me up. I'll have to check!

Sean

Them bolts would be the bomb, if they work.
I've put a bow in my puller. They would stop that happening as well as minimise stretching and bending of the bolts.
I want them RIGHT NOW! :ranting:

Pffft. Grade 8 bolts + heat + tight as it would go + big hammer -> nothing. :bang head:

Yeah if 139 people pitched in a buck each, we could score one! I'm in. It looks like its is a common steering wheel puller that someone has added sleeves to the mounting bolts to prevent them from deflecting. Bazwell, do you have any pipe that you could add to your bolts to help sturdy them up? Maybe this would help.....
Id put in a few bucks and make it the vmf puller! maybe if others want to too? Thoughts?

They aren't sleeves. It's a custom made bolt! I'll try and see what we can come up with.

Pffft. Grade 8 bolts + heat + tight as it would go + big hammer -> nothing. :bang head:

exactly what i tried. no joy just like you. captainkyle finally was able to pop mine off with his otc stinger (+ G8 bolts) and a 6 foot cheater bar. the jaw puller didn't work for me. imagine what a shit-ton of force is and double it--that's how much it takes to pop off the flywheel. it is a lot!!! when it finally popped off, i thought the cheater bar had snapped.
51MKQ2M47ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ninjaneer, whats the deal with the OTC puller?
Is it special?

My puller ain't too bad, but given that it bowed, it isn't good enough. (I used it backwards today and pulled it straight. ha ha ha)
I saw the OTC on Amazon for about $85, so it will be pretty expensive for shipping.
Check out these prices in my city http://www.tooltrust.com.au/results.php?keywords=balancer+puller&Submit=Search
$390 for a puller? WTF? :bang head:

The hydraulic crows foot looks like it's winning the race. In my head anyway.

Back