Open pipes anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modnrod

Reaction score
My merge collector is coming along fine, but won't be ready for the "BIG MEET" in 6 weeks time. I noticed on the last street meet when next to a loud screamer 600 that it was difficult to hear my bike, so I know that when next to a long-bike with a meg I'll be deaf in no time!

I had thought of just taking off the mufflers, then possibly extending the rear pipes with a simple "H" balance pipe, same as the stock pipes have on the front pair (just to balance the length/tuning/etc), and running with open pipes. I have to admit half the reason is coz I've heard the bike with open pipes and it JUST SOUNDS COOL!!!!:rofl_200:

No idea where to start on the tune though, I don't know whether it'll be slower or faster, but doesn't really matter I spose, coz I'll still qualify OK. Has anyone ever wondered the same thing, then threw a tune-up at it jetting-wise just to see.......and hear!

If I can't be fast yet. at least I'll be noticed!:biglaugh:

Hopefully it'll be a couple of Destroyers on the trailer in the 1st few rounds.
I can look at them there!

This V4 isn't quick yet, but very consistent.

I LOVE THE SOUND OF THESE BIKES WITH OPEN HEADERS.

NOTHING CLOSE TO A HARLEY THO.

I run an open header (kerker) when I race, but I have a stg 7, head work, high comp, etc...

I dont know if it really helps, never had it on the dyno both ways.

NOTICED YOU WILL BE.

HAVE FUN.

Open pipe was way to loud when I tried it while mounting my exhaust.
I was curious but after I saw the difference.
Even with small 12" cans there is a huge difference still.

All I've got to go by on the jetting is what I've experienced on normal inline 4's, and with those I lifted the needle a notch and went up 2 on the mains. I don't spose the Vmax will be much different, and it's track-only in this spec obviously :eusa_dance:, but it might be worth a go for a giggle-factor.

What do you think as a rough start for the tune-up? About those lines?

Latest posts

Back