Opinions needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Ok guys & gals, I just finished mocking up my taillight bracket and I am looking for some honest opinions - like it or don't like it. It's an aftermarket bracket from a HD softail.

Main reason for doing this is to get rid of the ugly stock taillight and to relocate the rear signal lights.

Not sure if this is the way to go :ummm: therefore looking for your opinions.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• tail5.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 28
  • tail3.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 18
  • tail4.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 16
  • tail3.jpg
    tail3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 133
  • tail4.jpg
    tail4.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 153
  • tail5.jpg
    tail5.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 164
I like it Mike...:thumbs up:
The only thing i'm not crazy about is that black circle in the center of the lens, What is that?

GJ !

I'm liking it. :clapping: is that an oversized blue dot or are the cat's eye on the small side?

again great work :punk:

I like it Mike...:thumbs up:
The only thing i'm not crazy about is that black circle in the center of the lens, What is that?

It's actually a blue dot mounted in the catseye - I have another new tail light and it does not have it - this ones is only for mock up (a left over from my Harley days) and won't be on when finished.

Mike

I like it, but would suggest you paint the aluminum or stainless black.:thumbs up:

Have you seen the one HubeerJW made? He used a "cruiser" style tail light that had the blinkers built in and had the bracket laser cut and bent to fit. I'm sure he can make more and you can use any tail light you like.

I like it, but would suggest you paint the aluminum or stainless black.:thumbs up:

Have you seen the one HubeerJW made? He used a "cruiser" style tail light that had the blinkers built in and had the bracket laser cut and bent to fit. I'm sure he can make more and you can use any tail light you like.

I like that idea, but both the bracket and taillight housing are chrome - any ideas on how to paint or strip the chrome off?

Mike

I like that idea, but both the bracket and taillight housing are chrome - any ideas on how to paint or strip the chrome off?

Mike

A chrome shop can strip the chrome off. I had my 412 rear shocks and springs striped and then powder coated them.

Or just have Jeff make you a plate holder. I'm sure he can mod it with the tabs to hold blinkers.

Mike

I agree with the chrome. I also think it would look better with some clear turn signal lens rather than the burnt orange.
Paint?:ummm: painting is in the dinosaur ages and also you know what its going to look like after a few months of riding.
Only way to go POWDER COAT!! Goto EASTWOOD.COM they sell the powder caoting system for under 100.00
You can powdercoat right over chrome doesnt matter.
Throw away all them krylon cans they suck!
The good thing about powder coating is no paint runs, no prepping and priming, no wait time to dry, and its bullet proof. Powder coating isnt hard at all watch some videos on it, its real simple. I just learned how to do it over the winter and powder coated all the engine covers on my motor. Its the only way to go.

FYI! My powder coater will not coat over chrome with out signing a release because it chips so easily. Chrome is like glass. Paint doesn't like to stick to it very long.

I powder coat everything that I can.

FYI! My powder coater will not coat over chrome with out signing a release because it chips so easily. Chrome is like glass. Paint doesn't like to stick to it very long.

I dont know what kind of gun your using or how much KV its putting out. I have powder coated over a chrome mirrors without any issue. Its also know in the powder coating field to get that tranparent look to powder coat over chrome
Here is a link about powder coating over chrome
"Can you powdercoat directly over chrome plating?

imperial2sm.jpg

In most cases the answer is yes. As long as the chrome plating is not blistering, pitted or peeling it will work. A good chrome plate will not be affected by the high temperature needed to cure the powdercoat and the adhesion will be fine providing it is prepared properly. A good shiny chrome surface is an excellent base for finished like transparent which needs a shiny surface underneath to allow the transparent finish to shine.

Just checked out Eastwood's site and they have a home type powdercoating system on sale for $70. Also a video explaining everything! http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C458%2C459%2C460&KickerID=68&KICKER
*But after reading 4gasem's links it would seem to have it's limitations with chrome. It looks like it work ok with the clear coated parts that I want to PC. Just use their dekote to remove CC and then powder coat. I would just need to find a electric oven I could use for this purpose. Sigh, gonna have to wait for my garage to be done before I can do this.

No need to strip the chrome. Sand it to make it rough then spray with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Paint with black engine enamel.
Setup looks good. Just one question, does the tail light light up the license plate? Cops can hassle you if it doesn't.

No need to strip the chrome. Sand it to make it rough then spray with Bulldog adhesion promoter. Paint with black engine enamel.
Setup looks good. Just one question, does the tail light light up the license plate? Cops can hassle you if it doesn't.

The taillight has a clear lens facing down to light up the license plate.

Mike

I like it.

If your going to powder coat it take it to a sandblaster and get the chrome off. Don't mess with sanding it, just get it blasted.

They do industrial painting all day every day so I imagine it's a bit better than a 100 dollar unit... :whistlin:

http://www.finishing.com/224/92.shtml

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4948/is_200607/ai_n18130528

And a good one! Read down!

http://www.finishing.com/142/10.shtml
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061111141223AAX3zte

We can go back and forth on this topic. It's 50/50. Some say you can some say you cant. I am going by past expierence of powder coating. As I stated I have powder coated over chrome mirrors. The flow process was in the same time as bare metal. I didnt get any orange peel nor fish eyes (powder coating blems)
Still to this day I havent had any coating fall off the mirrors..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061111141223AAX3zte

"
spacer_black.gif
FAQ on Ceramic and Powder Coatings

Does Classic Coatings ceramic coat the parts inside and out?
Do your prices include the cost of freight?
Can I drop off and pick up parts?
Do you offer a warranty?
How long does it take to turn my parts around?
What is the break in procedure for ceramic coatings?
How thick is the ceramic coating?
Can you ceramic coat over chrome, aluminum or stainless steel?
Is your ceramic coating the same as other nationally advertised coatings?
What color of ceramic coatings do you offer?
What temperatures will powder coatings withstand?
What is "out gassing"?
How do I prepare my parts for coating?
Does Classic Coatings ceramic coat the parts inside and out?

Classic Coatings coats both inside and outside on all the ceramic work that we do. We do not charge extra for this like some companies do. We do offer a special Race Coat for the insides of pipes which does cost more.
Do your prices include the cost of freight?

Our quoted prices do not include any freight charges. We have the recommend UPS and generally use them unless you request another method of shipping.
Can I drop off and pick up parts?

Yes, our office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. We are open Saturdays, by appointment only.
Do you offer a warranty?

Yes, Classic Coatings has a 1-year warranty for any used parts and a 3-year warranty on new parts that we ceramic coat. This warranty includes labor and materials to repair or replace the same coating that was originally applied. Labor to remove and reinstall the parts and freight are not included in this warranty. This warranty does not cover mechanical damage, staining of the coatings or damage to the coatings from over heating.
How long does it take to turn my parts around?

Our standard lead time is 10 working days from when we receive the parts. If we can get them out sooner, we will. If there is a need for expedited service, please contact us to discuss the added charges for this service.
What is the break in procedure for ceramic coatings?

There are several things that you need to be aware of with new ceramic coatings. We will give everyone a sheet with their parts detailing the "Do's and Don'ts" to properly break in their new ceramic coating.
How thick is the ceramic coating?

The coating runs between 2 and 4 mils thick. If there are threaded holes on the part, you may have to re-tap them prior to installing the part. This will insure a proper fit of the threaded fastener. If the threaded area is critical, then notify us when the parts are delivered so we can mask off these areas to protect them from the ceramic coating.
Can you ceramic coat over chrome, aluminum or stainless steel?

Yes. If we are coating over chrome, the chrome must be in good shape. If it is flaking off, we recommend having the chrome removed prior to delivering the parts to us. This will ensure a good base for a long lasting product.

TRANSLUCENT COLORS
OVER CHROME AIR
FILTERS GIVES A COOL
CUSTOM LOOK!

Here are some powder colors that are made to spray over chrome.
1)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Candy Red over Polished Chrome[/FONT]

Candy Tangelo over Polished Chrome
Candy Purple over Polished Chrome
Candy Raspberry over Polished Chrome

Another link

"

What surface can be Powder Coated?
  • steel
  • aluminum
  • chrome