Opinions on Mobil "V-twin" synthetic oil..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidyanazo

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this stuff? It says it's "formulated to withstand the extra heat of engines without radiators..." How'd it do in a Vmax? I have a gallon of it, and was thinking of giving it a try.. Anyone else use it? Thoughts?

0007192444925_500X500.jpg

There are a LOT of people that have used synthetics.....and gone back to the old standby Rotella T 15-40. Its a diesel oil, so has lots of zinc, plus its natural.

Most synthetics tend to be "too slippery" and dont grip well with a wet clutch. Some people on here say even those made for wet clutches, are not to run in any kind of performance applications.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

I just changed my minerals to Motul 5100 15w-50 synthetics, so far so good didn't notice any difference. Synthetic oil is superior compared to mineral oil in every aspect, and if it is made for motorcycle use, it is usually made for wet clutches too. Oil being too slippery is a BS in my mind, maybe that some synthetics has that kind of additives in it that it makes your clutch slip, but that isn't reason of oil being synthetic.

Good writeup that made me try synthetics (or then I'm just dumbass) -> http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

What ever you use, change it reguraly with fresh oil filter.

I used mobil 1 4t for a time in my vmax and noticed a lot of clutch slipping...despite it being advertised as safe for wet clutches. The PCW spring helped, but not 100%. Switched to conventional rotella and the problem vanished.

Plus my starter clutch tended to "miss" a lot in cold weather with synthetic, and worked perfect with the rotella.

Virtually everyone I know that's tried synthetic on any older bike gets clutch problems before too long. A small amount of slippage is tough to notice but rapidly wears the clutch, and will rapidly get worse.

I just changed my minerals to Motul 5100 15w-50 synthetics, so far so good didn't notice any difference. Synthetic oil is superior compared to mineral oil in every aspect, and if it is made for motorcycle use, it is usually made for wet clutches too. Oil being too slippery is a BS in my mind, maybe that some synthetics has that kind of additives in it that it makes your clutch slip, but that isn't reason of oil being synthetic.

Good writeup that made me try synthetics (or then I'm just dumbass) -> http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

What ever you use, change it reguraly with fresh oil filter.

Yeah Motul is amazing. I use the 300V superbike race oil in my Ducati 916, and it's wonderful. Unfortunately for street use it kinda sucks, because the additive packages break down after ~1000 miles. And it's $75 a gallon, so it adds up fast..

For the max I've been using rotellaT, but just happened on a deal for the V-twin mobil 1, so I thought I'd grab it.. Guess I'll try it out and see!

If a clutch slips with syn but not with dino, that suggests that syn is slipperier and therefore protects engine parts better. I've also literally never had a clutch slippage problem with a dozen bikes over 18 years of Mobil1 15W50 and, more recently, Amsoil 10w40. I'm of the opinion that if your clutch slips with syn, it's not a truly healthy clutch. I'd rather fix the clutch than compromise on the protection of the engine parts that are much harder and more expensive to replace than a clutch.

Guys on the Buell forum have said good things about Amsoil Dominator 15w50 in their 1125s, so my Vmax will be getting it, as will my Speed Triple and 1125R.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '91 F2, '03 DRZ400

I had yamilube 10w40 I felt slippage a lot with brand new friction pads (so I was told) Then I read on this superior forum about rotella and zinc my 85' runs and shifts with no slippage whatsoever . My question has anybody run 15w40 rotella in their gen 2 .

IF YOUR NEW to Gen 1 ownership, don't use synthetic oil. Why? research our many threads from knowledgeable vmax owners and mechanics. Also, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
There are many myths about synthetic oil being bad, and petroleum being good. They are all "old wives' tales". ANY synthetic oil is superior to ANY petroleum oil for lubrication and metal protection. As long as the label does not say "energy conserving" and the oil is formulated for wet clutch use, it is fine for use in motorcycles.
I have been using Amsoil, in various formulations, since the '80's, in everything I own with an internal combustion engine, from my diesel dually, to motorcycles, to chain saws and weed-whackers. That includes ATF and 2-stroke oils. I have never had an oil-related failure in anything.
I say you should feel perfectly comfortable using synthetic oil.

If your new, pm Sean, Kyle, John. Ask them. I'm done. Could really care less, just would like new guys to get a break, before they have an issue.

Mine works fine with Motul 15W-50 synthetics, I've heard that somebody had clutch slipping with Shell Advance Ultra 10W-40. I think that viscosity is more important that synthetic or not, Yamaha recommends 20W-50. Just my 2cents, you guys put in heavy-duty diesel oils if you want to, many maxers use that in Finland too.

This is almost like running iridiums or not, might be nothing to gain with iridiums but I use them still. So I use synthetic _motorcycle_oil, on a paper it is better. Now, I'm done.

I usually just use my own special blend of virgin blood and orphan tears that have been blessed by a holy man while he was making Ozark folk art

Mine works fine with Motul 15W-50 synthetics, I've heard that somebody had clutch slipping with Shell Advance Ultra 10W-40. I think that viscosity is more important that synthetic or not, Yamaha recommends 20W-50. Just my 2cents, you guys put in heavy-duty diesel oils if you want to, many maxers use that in Finland too.

This is almost like running iridiums or not, might be nothing to gain with iridiums but I use them still. So I use synthetic _motorcycle_oil, on a paper it is better. Now, I'm done.

rotella 15w40 at less than 13 dollars per gal I'll take it :punk:

I usually just use my own special blend of virgin blood and orphan tears that have been blessed by a holy man while he was making Ozark folk art

WHAT !! Man I thought I was the only one that used that, But I use synthetic orphan tears they are superior in every way IMO !!:biglaugh:

Where the heck do you find virgin blood? I've been searching for years . . .

Newborn child/virgin the terms are interchangeable, the orphan tears are actually harder to find, you usually have to find some Gypsies and get imported tears, but the authentic video they show of the sad kids leaves me totally confident that the gypsy vendor is 100% legit and not scamming me.

Newborn child/virgin the terms are interchangeable, the orphan tears are actually harder to find, you usually have to find some Gypsies and get imported tears, but the authentic video they show of the sad kids leaves me totally confident that the gypsy vendor is 100% legit and not scamming me.

What's the recommended mileage for this? I may look into this if I can get 1500-2000 miles out of it. May be a little expensive depending what part of the country your from :rofl_200:

I have actually use Mobil 1 15w50 for years and have not had any problems. That said, it is getting so expensive, I am thinking about going to the Rotella. Just not sure which one of the 3 or so versions to use... :biglaugh:

Mobil 1 is the best oil for any engine in my opinion. I use it in all my cars and trucks and never wore an engine out. I put it in my old 85 years ago and the clutch started to slip, so I went back to Rotella 15w40 and problem went away. Since then I have done the DD mod and might give it another try on Mobil 1 since the modified clutch seems like a lock up clutch on a top fuel dragster, and If it gives me a slight slip that would keep me from blowing out a gear.

Back