Parts and CaptainKyle????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please inform me if the stock rear shocks are interchangeable across the Gen. 1 years, apart from prehaps finish? They are all 13" eye-to-eye, o.c., yes? What about the mounting bushing diameters and widths? All the same, or what years did changes occur? I am trying to resurrect my '92 I have had for 19 yrs. & probably will just replace the 'knackered' stock shocks w/another pair of used shocks until I get everything squared away and can think of some Prog. Susp. 440's later. Or, should I just save my $ until I can buy one of the lesser grades of Prog. Susp.? Thanks.
I think redbone got you covered. He deffinately ran into a deal on 440s The 12 series usually sell fro 250 a pair I can do a little better on them sometimes the distributer price seems to go up & down & I adjust my prices accordingly. Feel free to give me a call any time 813-270-0000 & if you feel like taking a road trip today to join us that would be great. It is a long hike though I was in Dania yeterday.

Thanks for the dimensions info. I will look @ Dennis Kirk, I used to buy my tires from there & Competition Accessories in Xenia OH, I think it was, when I was using my VMax more frequently. 3-4 rears to 1 front...

Please feel free to PM me if you see a 'deal' as I would purchase something like that if I was aware of it. I see sean's price on the 440's is ~$460+ depending on the finish. That is more than I can afford right now, I still ahve to put 2 new tires & a battery in my bike, & will eventually have a date with Forking by Frank for some replacement downtubes, I have used his products before. I'll do the downtube/seals myself, & have a couple of FZR1000 front ends, one of which I may put on in the future, once I return my bike to the road after a long idle timespan.

So, thank-you and PM me if you see a deal on the 440's or some suitable alternative. Also, check my response to C.K. following.

I think redbone got you covered. He deffinately ran into a deal on 440s The 12 series usually sell fro 250 a pair I can do a little better on them sometimes the distributer price seems to go up & down & I adjust my prices accordingly. Feel free to give me a call any time 813-270-0000 & if you feel like taking a road trip today to join us that would be great. It is a long hike though I was in Dania yeterday.

Did you go to Dania for the sale at the warehouse for the Scooter Superstore (it actually was at the border, in Hollywood, a couple of blocks south of Sheridan St. and a couple of blocks west of Dixie Hwy). They went out of business & have been having a 75% off retail sale. It's pretty-well picked-over by now but I went there on the 1st day open to the public & got 'some things' (don't tell the wife!). Alpinestar Aprilia enduro-type coat, w/armor, of course; a new Fieldsheer mesh jacket, Alpinestar mesh pants, Alpinestar gloves (2 for $15!), ANCRA tiedowns <$8!, bunch of Motion Pro hand tools (degree wheel, safety wire pliers, world's longest mcy tire iron (looks like an 'obstetrician's helper'), 3/8" drive offset wrench for shock preload collars or steering stems, etc.). Eight fuel filters for VMax size, $.75 ea., PIAA driving lights; battery clamps, fused, for a Battery Tender, a graduated cup for liquids (gonna come in handy when I rebuild my front forks soon!), an AGV modular helmet I already shipped to a friend in MI; a PLastex repair kit (>$100 retail), two Signal Dynamics alum. license plate frames w/red LED's top & bottom, they can be wired to act as both running & brake lights; a bungee cargo net; three 24" bungee cords, $.75 ea.; and some Bluetooth helmet systems I bought for resale. Supposedly someone is going to buy the remaining lot next week. My friend Steve who runs/ownsCompetition Cycle Center in Dania bought about 900 tires, GIVI bags, and all their name-brand chemicals, he claims to have spent well-into 5 figures. Having helped him unload some of this during the week, I don't doubt it. :th_image003:

I am deep into the process of resurrecting my '92 I have owned since it had < 2K mi on it @ about a yr. old. I didn't ride it much the last ten years because of more-pressing family matters, but now it's time to fix the things that were set-aside years ago. It doesn't look pretty but it will be safely functional, and then there is time for cosmetics. While I have spent time on other vehicle-oriented sites, this seems to have a more 'laid-back' feel. I hope I can get some parts and trade advice in the future.

Thank-you for the invite to the Mod Meet. Perhaps once my bike returns to the street... .

Thanks for the dimensions info. I will look @ Dennis Kirk, I used to buy my tires from there & Competition Accessories in Xenia OH, I think it was, when I was using my VMax more frequently. 3-4 rears to 1 front...

Please feel free to PM me if you see a 'deal' as I would purchase something like that if I was aware of it. I see sean's price on the 440's is ~$460+ depending on the finish. That is more than I can afford right now, I still ahve to put 2 new tires & a battery in my bike, & will eventually have a date with Forking by Frank for some replacement downtubes, I have used his products before. I'll do the downtube/seals myself, & have a couple of FZR1000 front ends, one of which I may put on in the future, once I return my bike to the road after a long idle timespan.

So, thank-you and PM me if you see a deal on the 440's or some suitable alternative. Also, check my response to C.K. following.
Here is the info I had researched at the time:
Here are the stats for the Progressive 440-4218b/c(Vmax) and 440-4238b/c(2004 Marauder):

Model # - Length - Compressed - Travel - Mounts - Spring - Rate: in/lbs

440-4218B/C - 13.00" - 9.82" - 3.18" - E/E - 1365-20B/30 - 120/170
440-4238B/C - 13.00" - 9.94" - 3.06" - E/E - 1365-20B/30 - 120/170

The stats are nearly the same save for a tenths of differences in the Compressed height and the Travel.

_You can read the entire post here.

Did you go to Dania for the sale at the warehouse for the Scooter Superstore (it actually was at the border, in Hollywood, a couple of blocks south of Sheridan St. and a couple of blocks west of Dixie Hwy). They went out of business & have been having a 75% off retail sale. It's pretty-well picked-over by now but I went there on the 1st day open to the public & got 'some things' (don't tell the wife!). Alpinestar Aprilia enduro-type coat, w/armor, of course; a new Fieldsheer mesh jacket, Alpinestar mesh pants, Alpinestar gloves (2 for $15!), ANCRA tiedowns <$8!, bunch of Motion Pro hand tools (degree wheel, safety wire pliers, world's longest mcy tire iron (looks like an 'obstetrician's helper'), 3/8" drive offset wrench for shock preload collars or steering stems, etc.). Eight fuel filters for VMax size, $.75 ea., PIAA driving lights; battery clamps, fused, for a Battery Tender, a graduated cup for liquids (gonna come in handy when I rebuild my front forks soon!), an AGV modular helmet I already shipped to a friend in MI; a PLastex repair kit (>$100 retail), two Signal Dynamics alum. license plate frames w/red LED's top & bottom, they can be wired to act as both running & brake lights; a bungee cargo net; three 24" bungee cords, $.75 ea.; and some Bluetooth helmet systems I bought for resale. Supposedly someone is going to buy the remaining lot next week. My friend Steve who runs/ownsCompetition Cycle Center in Dania bought about 900 tires, GIVI bags, and all their name-brand chemicals, he claims to have spent well-into 5 figures. Having helped him unload some of this during the week, I don't doubt it. :th_image003:

I am deep into the process of resurrecting my '92 I have owned since it had < 2K mi on it @ about a yr. old. I didn't ride it much the last ten years because of more-pressing family matters, but now it's time to fix the things that were set-aside years ago. It doesn't look pretty but it will be safely functional, and then there is time for cosmetics. While I have spent time on other vehicle-oriented sites, this seems to have a more 'laid-back' feel. I hope I can get some parts and trade advice in the future.

Thank-you for the invite to the Mod Meet. Perhaps once my bike returns to the street... .
If I would have went to the sale if I would have know about it. I just went down ther eto pick up another parts bike.

If you have never been to Competition Cycle Ctr., it is on Old Griffin Rd. just east of I 95 by the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, you take the Griffin Rd. exit to the east & bear right at the 1st light onto Old Griffin Rd. It is about 3/4 mi. on the right. He sells lots of clothing, tires, batteries, accessories, helmets, etc. Probably one of the largest selections in FL housed in ~ 10,000+ sq ft. He has been in Dania since the 1970's. I recently bought a Shark Evoline 2 ST in the Moovit pattern to replace an elderly Shoei, & paid a bit > 60% of MSRP. I like the modular designs, i've had new BMW's, a Shoei MultiTech, but this is the best-fitting & best-vented one I have used.

Watching the first Formula 1 race now from Australia. Vettel is in 1st & Hamilton is in 2nd.

Last edited:
And that's how they finished at the Melbourne Australia F1 race. That kid Vettel is amazing, youngest-ever F1 champion just won another race.

Before the race, they had a shot of Sir Jack Brabham, the oldest living F1 champion. I saw him race his own cars at Watkins Glen in the 1960's. Ah, the days of the BRM H-16 engine! And the jewel-like Honda V-12, louder than anything else on the track. The H-16 won the USGP in '66 the first year of the 3 liter formula, w/Jim Clark driving. I saw it happen, & still have my Kodacolor pictures.

Latest posts

Back