Performed shotgun carb cleaning now it will not rev up help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98blackmax

Reaction score
I did the shot gun carb cleaning and when i got it all back together i fired the bike up and as soon as i shut the choke off it would just bog when ever i opened the throttle. As if the accelerator pumps arent doing any thing.:ummm: Help!!! Im going to americade with the bike thursday i need it running! :surprise:

Thanks!
Kevin

I did the shot gun carb cleaning and when i got it all back together i fired the bike up and as soon as i shut the choke off it would just bog when ever i opened the throttle. As if the accelerator pumps arent doing any thing.:ummm: Help!!! Im going to americade with the bike thursday i need it running! :surprise:

Thanks!
Kevin

Accelerator pumps? Are they flat slides? :ummm: Stock carbs don't have accelerator pumps...

Shawn Kloker seems to know a bit about them... I would talk to him...

it was a pig between 4-6k if it wasnt choked to shit, so i did peashooter no help. then did the shot gun today. Im gonna bring the adjustment screws out cause they all were only 1-2 turns out. ill keep you posted thanks

it was a pig between 4-6k if it wasnt choked to shit, so i did peashooter no help. then did the shot gun today. Im gonna bring the adjustment screws out cause they all were only 1-2 turns out. ill keep you posted thanks

4-6k rpm is the needle circut.

If you blip the throttle and watch the rpm's,If it returns right to idle its good.If it hangs high then falls down its lean.If it falls below idle then comes back up its rich.This is for the idle mix screws only.

Is this bike stock,stage 1 or 7 ? Sorry I don't know your bike yet.

Half a can of seafoam into a full tank of gas works wonders too.Then go out and hone on it a little to clean all the circuts out.

Kinda sounds to me like you either have shimmed your needles or have diaphrams going bad.Possibly even an air leak in the airbox,carbs or vboost boots sucking air.

Bike is all stock except i removed the baffles screwed to the back of the pipes. I did that months ago and it has nothing to do with the problem. Im going to mess with idle screws tomorrow. Rightnow the bike wont rev above 3k without lean seazin through the carbs and if i give it half throttle to quickly it stalls, if i go wfo (all in nutrual) it stalls before i get the throttle all the way open. THe needles are only 1 turn out except for number 3 its 2 turns out. It must be wrong i havea read people have them 4 turns out with only slight mods

thanks
Kevin

Bike is all stock except i removed the baffles screwed to the back of the pipes. I did that months ago and it has nothing to do with the problem. Im going to mess with idle screws tomorrow. Rightnow the bike wont rev above 3k without lean seazin through the carbs and if i give it half throttle to quickly it stalls, if i go wfo (all in nutrual) it stalls before i get the throttle all the way open. THe needles are only 1 turn out except for number 3 its 2 turns out. It must be wrong i havea read people have them 4 turns out with only slight mods

thanks
Kevin

Mine are 4 out with full exhaust, K&N and the Y off the airbox... Stage 1

thanks
Kevin

Look at your choke linkage good.One time one of my c clips fell off and one side stayed on all the time.I think that you have bigger problems than idle mixture adjustments.Have you ever looked at the diaphrams?A big air leak will do this too to a stock bike.Air box boots,carb boots,vboost boots,Not on right or cracked.Go ahead and adjust the screws out it can't hurt.Remember where they were before moving them .

Have you ever syncronized these carbs?

HI,
Try setting all the screws at 2 or 2.5 turns out. Are the slides moving smoothly and about the same amount??? Pull the air flter cover and check it out but a stock V-Max may not run well with the cover removed.
Lew

HI,
Try setting all the screws at 2 or 2.5 turns out. Are the slides moving smoothly and about the same amount??? Pull the air flter cover and check it out but a stock V-Max may not run well with the cover removed.
Lew

A stock bike will run the way he is decribing his when you take the airbox cover off.You could see if the diaphrams were stuck or not.Its best to inspect them each in your hands and up to a light.

The ONLY way to make sure your carbs are clean is to remove them from the bike, split the rack and open up each carb, remove the jet block, remove all the screw in jets and tubes and clean EVERYTHING!

Agree with 99. Shotgun does not say anything about cleaning the pilot fuel jets which definately clog and need to be cleaned out by removing each jet block and jets and spraying them with contact cleaner

Before breaking float bowls open, try the peashooter through PAJ1. If that doesn't work, try 1/4 to 1/2 can of Seafoam or BG fuel system cleaner. If the simple solutions fail, break the bowls open and remove the pilot fuel jet from the jet block.

Mark

turned the screws 2.5 turns out seems to run much much better now. but its still a little hesatant from 1200-2000rpm i guess its a bit rich, gonna turn them in a quarter turn and see how it runs.

Thanks for the help!

Kevin

If your now having a problem just off idle, I strongly suggest that you sync the carbs again. I use a Carbtune II and can do this simple task in just a few moments.
Lew

Back