Pick up coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Did the test as indicated in the book (for an 88) but I'm getting 3 readings at 230 and 1 at 110. According to book all should be under 126. I happen to have another alternator cover I got on ebay with pick ups and i'm getting the same readings..what's wrong here?

What ambient temperature are you taking the readings at?

The manual says 126Ω +-10% at 20C (68F), and I believe resistance goes up with temperature.

It's hot in the garage (90F or so?) but why would one reading be in spec and the others not?

Use black as the common...not orange. The manual is wrong for the p/u coil test.

I am having a spark problem with my 85 Max ... or should I say lack of spark and have been checking out all the electrical components and connectors. I also checked the pick up coils and the only wire that checked out to be within specks was the Orange and black wire. I almost purchased a new set of coils until I read maleko89's thread bringing to light that the workshop manual in wrong!!! Saved me a lot of money, but I still haven't been able to fix the no spark problem. At least it narrows it down to TCI or HT coils.

If all four ignition coils are not firing I would take a close look at the ignitor.

I just bought this bike last week as a “fixer upper” and there were some mods done to the ignition such as a new Dyna 3000 tci and new Dyna coils. The fact that they were changed leads me to believe that the guy was having ignition problems, and started throwing $$$ at it to hopefully get it to run. Presently, the carbs are off it (another minor issue) and I’m focusing in on the ignition system. Engine cranks over just fine and I did however see an intermittent spark on #2 cylinder but all others are dead and have not been able to duplicate the spark! What I have done so far…
Charged battery - OK
Clean all electrical terminals with contact cleaner and treated with silicone electric grease
Ohmed out primary and secondary coils - OK
Ohmed out the magnetic pickup coils _ OK
Checked continuity on all ignition electrical connections.
Diagnosed the kickstand relay/ neutral switch / Clutch switch / circuitry but if this was the issue, the starter would not even crank over. My only other option would be to change out the TCI but these items are not cheap, and I hate the idea of throwing more money at it and not fixing it (like the previous owner). Just thought of something else I haven’t done…check the wires and caps…I’ll be right back!!!
Nope, that didn’t work!! Is there a way I can check the TCI, can you think of anything else that might be giving me this problem? Thanks, Wheeliepup

I just bought this bike last week as a ?fixer upper? and there were some mods done to the ignition such as a new Dyna 3000 tci and new Dyna coils. The fact that they were changed leads me to believe that the guy was having ignition problems, and started throwing $$$ at it to hopefully get it to run. Presently, the carbs are off it (another minor issue) and I?m focusing in on the ignition system. Engine cranks over just fine and I did however see an intermittent spark on #2 cylinder but all others are dead and have not been able to duplicate the spark! What I have done so far?
Charged battery - OK
Clean all electrical terminals with contact cleaner and treated with silicone electric grease
Ohmed out primary and secondary coils - OK
Ohmed out the magnetic pickup coils _ OK
Checked continuity on all ignition electrical connections.
Diagnosed the kickstand relay/ neutral switch / Clutch switch / circuitry but if this was the issue, the starter would not even crank over. My only other option would be to change out the TCI but these items are not cheap, and I hate the idea of throwing more money at it and not fixing it (like the previous owner). Just thought of something else I haven?t done?check the wires and caps?I?ll be right back!!!
Nope, that didn?t work!! Is there a way I can check the TCI, can you think of anything else that might be giving me this problem? Thanks, Wheeliepup
A known good TCI is the best way to go I'm afraid. You might want to contact Sean or Kyle for a loaner and just pay shipping.I also have a few but need to verify they are good.pm me if you can't get one.
Steve-o

Back