Pics of finished bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've not had any paint issues with our process and paint (We use BASF paint and now a new type I can't remember the brand of yet). The paint is over cured about about 180 degrees. Your engine won't get hot enough to cook the paint off except maybe around the exhaust ports.

Bead blast the rubber and aluminum parts is fine.

Sean

Thank you...

Sean sent me the block off plates (they worked great) then i had it soda blasted for about $50. I used an epoxy primer then just shopline cheap single stage (acrylic) black auto paint. I only have about 80 miles on it now but no paint has burned off yet. The bike also runs allot cooler :ummm: I thought painting the heads would have held heat in and made it run hotter but it never gets close to red line anymore it always did before at stoplights. I used victory red base clear on the frame and most other black parts are base clear. It is a good 10 footer for sure. I need to redo the tail and the tank.

one of my carbs puked gas all over the new paint and its seams to be holding up.

The frame is what really sets it off for me. Great work.

How long did it take you to strip it down and put it all back together?

Since i never pulled a bike completely apart before it took all winter to get it done. I spent allot of time painting and repainting because i change my mind.
also allot of the time was waiting on parts because i would decide to change something. If i did it again i bet it would only take two weeks ( couple of hours a night after work) to strip it down paint everything and put it back together. Next time i will be way more organized and take allot of before pics to help.

putting back together was not to bad but i wasted about three weeks trying to get the front brakes bled. There is a long and embarrassing thread on that. :biglaugh:

Sean sent me the block off plates (they worked great) then i had it soda blasted for about $50. I used an epoxy primer then just shopline cheap single stage (acrylic) black auto paint. I only have about 80 miles on it now but no paint has burned off yet. The bike also runs allot cooler :ummm: I thought painting the heads would have held heat in and made it run hotter but it never gets close to red line anymore it always did before at stoplights. I used victory red base clear on the frame and most other black parts are base clear. It is a good 10 footer for sure. I need to redo the tail and the tank.

one of my carbs puked gas all over the new paint and its seams to be holding up.

Thanks for the info mate. Is that primer epoxy or polyester based? The gas doesn't affect the paint, hydraulic fluid does. how much time did it take you to take the engine out?

I believe I loaned him the block off plates. Then bead blast and a good quality automotive paint will work fine.

By the way, turned out nicely. Send me a couple of the side shots of the complete bike if you get a chance. [email protected]

Sean

I will get you some good pics here in a couple of days. The swing arm is defiantly the best part of this bike.

Thanks for the info mate. Is that primer epoxy or polyester based? The gas doesn't affect the paint, hydraulic fluid does. how much time did it take you to take the engine out?

I used shop line JP 377 epoxy primer you can look it up on there website for all the details. It is a strong primer i scratched at some over spray with a screw driver and it holds up way better then regular primer. Also if you have the engine soda blasted make sure you rinse with water really well or paint will not stick.

The engine is really simple to pull but it was the last thing i removed. I had everything else off before i pulled the engine. So i dont know how hard it would be without a full tear down.

Latest posts

Back