Pink Vmax!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot pink flames....nice!

I don't have the skill for that, and after this job, I can assure that painting is NOT my hobby. It was a big headache but it was real interesting to learn how to do it.

Thanks folks, you can see all the errors up close...maybe in a few years I'll re-do it, now that I know what all I did wrong. But for now my husband will definately NOT be borrowing it!

If you have enough clear on it you can wet sand with some 2000 followed by 3000 and then polish it up real well and most of those blemishes will disappear and it'll shine a lot more too!

Just make sure not to use any wax or sealant on it. ONLY paint safe polish.

Chris

If you have enough clear on it you can wet sand with some 2000 followed by 3000 and then polish it up real well and most of those blemishes will disappear and it'll shine a lot more too!

Just make sure not to use any wax or sealant on it. ONLY paint safe polish.

Chris

Never use wax? But I already put the Carnauba wax over the clear coat, after the 2000 grit wet-sand and then the electric polisher, first with rubbing compound and then with polishing compouned. Then I waxed it. Not good?

Looks great. How badly is the fender pitted? If they are just tiny pits primer surfacer will fill them in , I have to prime mine, so if you want to send it to me so you don't' have to spend the money on primer i will gladly do it when i do mine.

Naw, I messed up the fender pretty badly. A LOT of filler primer later, it still shows the dents and glops where the plastic was melted by the chemical stripper.

I'm really just going to run it. I learned some lessons about painting on this job, I'm really not too worried if the evidence shows a little.

You always want to let the finish bake out the solvents before using any wax or sealant on it. Polish is OK but wax will seal them and not allow them to release.

You may be OK. If you get clear pops then you know you did bad... lol

Chris

You always want to let the finish bake out the solvents before using any wax or sealant on it. Polish is OK but wax will seal them and not allow them to release.

You may be OK. If you get clear pops then you know you did bad... lol

Chris

Rats. More stuff I didn't know.
Ain't there a book or something, "Home Painting for Dummies" or something?

Rats. More stuff I didn't know.
Ain't there a book or something, "Home Painting for Dummies" or something?

There probably is, Let me see if I have my old books from when i took autobody at the community college (about 3 classes short of my degree, not enought money in ift for me) If you used a hardened in the clear your pretty safe waxing it after 24 hours as long as the temp didn't get below 60.

i looked, didn't find the books. think i tossed them when i moved.

Ah, OK. I did let it sit a few days before I waxed the clear...it was about two thick coats, maybe three on the tank.

I hope I'm good, it's looking OK so far.

Thanks for that information, I had no idea....

Hey that's an awesome paint job. I've been too afraid to do all pink on my bike so I had been thinking about black w/ a hot pink design. Now since I've seen your bike that makes me rethink the paint job I want. That's great looking.

Jules the black with the color graphic on it, like a broad stripe or something, would look great!
I've only gotten positive responses, even among the rednecks like me, and the Harley riders too. It's seriously a new day, you can ride a pink bike if you want!

I'm so glad your on here haha. Thanks for the encouragement! Now I just need to find a painter :)

I am not talented but I did this job myself. I have less than a hundred bucks in the equipment (minus the 3-horsepower air compressor which I already owned) and about a hundred bucks in paint, clear coat, and wet-dry sandpaper. I did this paint my my woodshed. I now have a partly pink bicycle and lawnmower from overspray!

This same job would have cost a lot more to be done professionally. Ask me if you have questions, it really was not that hard, just time-consuming. I'm going to do a much larger, faired bike this Spring using the techniques and knowledge I gained doing my Vmax. Except blue, like toothpaste blue.

Latest posts

Back