Polaris re designs their Indian

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no fan of Polaris, but they are heading in the right direction with the Indian brand. Saw a video of that motor running and it sounds nasty, nothing like the lazy potato-potato of a harley, actually sounds like there's some nut to it.

Now if Polaris can get the overall quality/ fit 'n finish up to snuff, they'll have a nice bike on their hands.

I dig it. I also noticed that motor is side by side connecting rods as Harley runs the "knife and fork" design. Sat on one at a bike show. I saw the price tag and said ohhhhh shit that's expensive

I wonder if they are using the Bob Lutz-headed engine design that Jack Rousch was commissioned to prototype for Indian? I think, 'maybe-not.'

The engine is a dense piece of work. Over 100 ft.lb. torque? That should accelerate nicely from low. Wonder if they are going to allow it to rev past 4K & still produce power? We all know they will have a rigid appearing rear & deep-valanced fenders, & probably a suspended-looking saddle style, but I would be interested to see what the Indian 'Scout'-style bike will look like. More of a hot rod? After all that's what the 'world's fastest Indian' was based-upon.

I'm wondering if they have a better strategy to keep it from overheating than Harley on their big twins, which just turn off the rear cylinder at idle. Just because they idle so smoothly already.

Harley has had a lot of issues with it's 110" motor overheating and going wrong, wonder if Polaris can do any better. Awfully big motors for free-air cooling. The Japanese big twins just use liquid cooling solving the problem entirely, but that's not the 'Merican way I suppose.

Has anyone seen the prices for there 2013 line up??? You need to remortgage your house. I will say this I would buy a Indian before I baught a harley.

Isn't the Yamaha Raider air cooled:ummm:

Yeah, I think so, though if I remember right there was an oil radiator tucked away somewhere. The Kawi's, Hondas, and Zooky big cruisers all sport radiators.

I'm still surprised that Polaris bought Indian in the first place. I think they bought the rights and whatever outdated tech and tooling for close to 400 million. In Canada at least, there is tons of momentum behind Polaris motorcycles. When it comes to a big twin, they're looked at as a higher quality, more powerful alternative to Harley. With the Polaris brand being so emergent, it seems strange that they would want to devote so much time, energy and resources to developing hugely expensive, low volume, retro motorcycles. Not to disparage what they're doing, I just can't figure out why

Back