Polishing Stock rims?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntwkdsnr

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Is it possible to polish the stock vmax alum rims like I'm polishing the scoops?
I have a very small budget, but a lot of time this winter.

Thanks,

Eddie

Yes, but the process sucks and there will be a lot of sanding involved to get the machine lines out of it. It will look nice when done.

Sean

Take it to a metal polisher, you won't feel the pain. Provided they charge a reasonable rate you should be fine.

Polished aluminum will oxidize in a very short period of time if no clear coated, just so you know.

Polished aluminum will oxidize in a very short period of time if no clear coated, just so you know.

If you keep it waxed it's ok also helps if it's away from the elements if possible.
My bike doesn't see rain if I can help it.

Chroming rims is expensive and if not put down properly it may peel or chip.

I had the same issue with the polishing of the rims since it didn't have a clear coat.
Chroming here will cost 100$, but result might better.

I agree that the polished looks great and once done, Eastwood Company has "Nyalac" or something similar to clear coat it with. I have had my experience with chromed stockers and I have never ever seen a set done perfect. Always pinholes, fisheye, dirt? etc... With polished, you can get around all the openings and smooth the lines like Sean mentioned. Polished has a deeper look and not that harsh flash of chrome which some people like. For home DIYers, you need to make a standing polishing machine with an low speed electric motor with a buffing wheel. If you have scrap angle iron, you don't even have to weld it together but can drill and bolt it together. Youtube or google wheel polishers. The best hold the wheel solid and the buffer is lowered to the surface. Takes several buff wheels, and lots of time, which you have. Don't be afraid to use sandpaper to remove the big stuff (imperfections) but probably nothing coarser than 120 grit or you might make deeper scratches than you can easily remove. I sand off the flashing or casting marks on lots of my Max parts and hand polish on a wheel. Shifter, triples, levers etc. Definitely a poormans bling on a budget. Patience pays off in the end. :punk:

Last edited:
Back