Problem with the "New Vmax Owner FAQ"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
Section 1: Oil

6. What about filters?
For 85-95 bikes, you take a cartridge style filter, and don't have a ton of choices. Fram CH6002, OEM Yamaha, or a generic aftermarket.

For 96-07 bikes, you take a spin-on style, and have loads of choices. Fram PH6017, Purolator ML16817, NAPA Gold 1358 are all MC-specific filters

If you want "the best", get a top-shelf filter and reference a '94 Mazda MX-3 with the V6 engine. It will fit with no problems. Mobil 1 M1-110, Bosch 3323, Purolator PureOne PL14610. PureONE's are yellow though.

Stick a couple small puck magnets to the outside of the filter, if you cut it open when you change you'll see a big glob of nasty collected on top of where the magnet was. You can get a pack of these at any hardware store for like a dollar.
i just got a wix filter for a 1994 Mazda MX-3 V-6. took off the old filter, drained oil yada yada yada. put the Wix 51356 filter on, plug in, filled up. Started my bike up and the filter leaks like a stuck hog...

i just got a wix filter for a 1994 Mazda MX-3 V-6. took off the old filter, drained oil yada yada yada. put the Wix 51356 filter on, plug in, filled up. Started my bike up and the filter leaks like a stuck hog...

This may be an obvious question for me to ask, but can you see if the old filter o-ring/gasket is accounted for on the old filter? If not, any chance it was still stuck on the block?

Aside from that, how tight did you tighten the new filter?

How's the body of the new filter look?

G Man

+1 to too many rubbers , :bang head: I know, one of those bonehead moments years ago.

The old filter is fully intact, when I tightened it, it was not sealing. As tight as I could get it with my hands and 1/4 turn with a filter wrench. New filter looked right, diameter and gasket. Just wouldn't screw down all the way.

I use a Bosch 3323 and it works great.
Are you sure that WIX is the proper size ?

I use a Bosch 3323 and it works great.
Are you sure that WIX is the proper size ?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ch_oil+filter_1191349_3793&keyword=oil+filter

all i know is i followed the "new vmax owner FAQ" and had to change my oil twice. so frustrating!!:damn angry: what makes it even more awesome is it says
If you want "the best", get a top-shelf filter and reference a '94 Mazda MX-3 with the V6 engine.

Of course i want the best! and i ended up with a garage floor full of synthetic oil, having to drive into town to go to the motorcycle shop and get what i thought i should have gotten in the first place.

a motorcycle oil filter......

I copied that bit from the vmaxoutlaw website. I had seen some members here say they used the Bosch, which is supposedly a reference off that car with no issues so I assumed the original article author was correct with the others. Apparently not.

I will remove it from the FAQ. Maybe direct this to vmaxoutlaw as well?

Currently I'm using a napa gold 1358, which is a wix in disguise. NAPA lists it as for the R1 but I can confirm it fits perfectly on the vmax.

After looking up on the filter manufacturer's websites, Bosch lists the #3323 as for the v6 mazda, which people here have used without issue. Wix lists the 51356 for the same car(as does the VMO site) which you say doesn't fit right. Strange.

Apologies for the error, though I thought it was a safe assumption that if one filter was confirmed to fit, any to the same reference would as well.

ryan, maybe also add the K&N option for the vmax. its all iv'e used and love the 'nut' on it to get it torqued down and loosened easily.

KN303 comes in chrome or black IIRC

If you want "The Best" purchase a PC Racing billet, re-usable, filter. Costs just over $100 but it will be the last filter you ever buy. Has the puck magnet installed on the filter and a stainless steel filter cartridge. Here is a link: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...cing-FLO-Spin-On-Oil-Filter-With-Housing.aspx

Of note for guys who run oil pressure gauges, do not panic when you see your pressure at about 5psi lower than you are used to. Because this filter flows so much better than a paper one, and given that it is downstream in the system from where the gauge taps in, the lower pressure is normal.

ryan, maybe also add the K&N option for the vmax. its all iv'e used and love the 'nut' on it to get it torqued down and loosened easily.

KN303 comes in chrome or black IIRC

Thats what I ended up getting. I like that the nut on the filter is the same size as the drain plug.
I've done hundreds of oil changes on cars and trucks, this was my first motorcycle change. If there are filters for the mazda that work, the WIX 51356 is one that doesn't. Lol, of course the 1 filter I decided to get was the exception. Not angry at the FAQ author, I would have also thought it was a safe assumption. For the record I tried to get it on again and had my neighbor attempt it before I installed the KN303, just wouldn't screw down all the way.

Thats what I ended up getting. I like that the nut on the filter is the same size as the drain plug.
I've done hundreds of oil changes on cars and trucks, this was my first motorcycle change. If there are filters for the mazda that work, the WIX 51356 is one that doesn't. Lol, of course the 1 filter I decided to get was the exception. Not angry at the FAQ author, I would have also thought it was a safe assumption. For the record I tried to get it on again and had my neighbor attempt it before I installed the KN303, just wouldn't screw down all the way.

we all learn here and thanks for the clarification. the KN303 is pretty nice. d2moto has them on sale every once in a while with 30 or 40% off the whole site.

Just a heads up. If you have a Hindle header system, the Bosch 3323 won't fit. Too long. 3300 works great though.

my brother has a K&N with an adapter plate and it fits his older style hindle, as well.

Back