Progressive 418 Shocks Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
According to my measurements, the stock V-Max shocks are 13.5" eye to eye. My recently purchased 418 Progressives are 12.5" eye to eye. How much will this lower the rear? Anyone have this shock installed? If so, any comments / suggestions? I am sure I will have to modify the side and centerstands as the rear wheel seemed to touch the ground on a test fit. However, I did not lower the forks in the triple-tree if this makes any difference in the rear height.

Any info on this set-up would be appreciated.

Uhm... 1 inch is just a crazy guess... but I was thinking (99% sure) stockers were 13 inches... So that would make it a half inch drop.

Chris

I run a set of 12.5" 418's on my Max with stock kickstand and center stand. It does stand a bit more upright so I do have to pay attention to where I park. You will LOVE these shocks compared to stock.

I measured the stock and 418's off the bike and they were 13.5 and 12.5 respectively. One inch difference in length does not correspond to one inch drop in height due to the angle. If I could remember my math, I could measure the angle and calculate the height I guess. It has been a LONG time since I was in school however!!

Vmaxrider, did you lower the forks in the triple tree? If so, how much?

Thanks for the replies.

On a stock set up - lowering front end 3/4" to 1.5" will give positive benefits in handling, etc... so if rear lowered 1" (my guess, approximately 3/4" with angle), you would want to drop front minimum 3/4" just to get stock setup. I had 11.5" rear and dropped front 2.25" down. Handled great and had the slammed looked I liked.

Mike

On a stock set up - lowering front end 3/4" to 1.5" will give positive benefits in handling, etc... so if rear lowered 1" (my guess, approximately 3/4" with angle), you would want to drop front minimum 3/4" just to get stock setup. I had 11.5" rear and dropped front 2.25" down. Handled great and had the slammed looked I liked.

Mike

Thx
This was exactly the information I was looking for !

Vitek

I measured the stock and 418's off the bike and they were 13.5 and 12.5 respectively. One inch difference in length does not correspond to one inch drop in height due to the angle. If I could remember my math, I could measure the angle and calculate the height I guess. It has been a LONG time since I was in school however!!

Vmaxrider, did you lower the forks in the triple tree? If so, how much?

Thanks for the replies.

Nope, forks are at stock height. I wanted to drop the front an inch but I have 24" drag bars so my master cylinders are over the top of the fork tube ends. When my 27" bars show up tomorrow I might just try a 1/2" drop.

Nope, forks are at stock height. I wanted to drop the front an inch but I have 24" drag bars so my master cylinders are over the top of the fork tube ends. When my 27" bars show up tomorrow I might just try a 1/2" drop.

I'm running 31" bars (I believe) and they work great (all kinds of room) but I have my fork tubes flush with the top triple.

Back