Pump won't work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parktoss

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking through the forums for a while now trying to find a fix for my fuel pump.

I bought a new pump, thinking my old one went bad, but it was not the issue.

Whenever I turn the ignition on, i can hear the (vboost?) working, but the usually ticking of the pump had stopped. After looking at it for a bit, and then installing a new pump the problem still persisted.

I hooked both pumps (the new and old) to the battery directly and they both pumped gas; none of my lines are blocked, checked them all.

I have spark, the engine will turn over, but will not fire. I assume it is not getting gas from the pump, as I have a clear fuel filter and cannot see gas moving through it. The new pump is connected correctly.

I have checked voltage where I can, and cleaned the reserve switch electrical.

I am completely out of ideas now. I can't tell if it is the relay, though I am told they don't just go bad, either faulty or not; or if it is something else.

Any help would be great, thanks a lot in advance.

Take your chrome manifold covers off each side and open the screws to the float bowls and see if gas comes out the overflow hoses that are sticking out.

Can you flip the fuel switch to reserve.....and does it work then?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Hello,
I have been looking through the forums for a while now trying to find a fix for my fuel pump.

I bought a new pump, thinking my old one went bad, but it was not the issue.

Whenever I turn the ignition on, i can hear the (vboost?) working, but the usually ticking of the pump had stopped. After looking at it for a bit, and then installing a new pump the problem still persisted.

I hooked both pumps (the new and old) to the battery directly and they both pumped gas; none of my lines are blocked, checked them all.

I have spark, the engine will turn over, but will not fire. I assume it is not getting gas from the pump, as I have a clear fuel filter and cannot see gas moving through it. The new pump is connected correctly.

I have checked voltage where I can, and cleaned the reserve switch electrical.

I am completely out of ideas now. I can't tell if it is the relay, though I am told they don't just go bad, either faulty or not; or if it is something else.

Any help would be great, thanks a lot in advance.

Confirm that you don't have power going into the pump by checking voltage at the blue/black wire, after disconnecting from pump. This is with the ignition on, stop switch set to "run".
The pump receives power (via the relay) from two separate sources. Try also switching the reserve switch to "res", to see if voltage goes to the blue/black wire.
If neither supplies power, disconnect and clean the six-pin Fuel Pump Relay connector (behind the left scoop, the relay is the one on the left side)
While disconnected, check for input voltage at the red/white wire, with ignition on and stop switch set to run. Should be battery voltage.
Let us know your results.
Cheers!

Take your chrome manifold covers off each side and open the screws to the float bowls and see if gas comes out the overflow hoses that are sticking out.

+1. Very quick and easy way to see if you have fuel in the bowls.
Better yet, slide a piece of clear hose over the black tubing and hold it on the mark on the side of the carb and see if you have the proper wet fuel level. Should be approximately 17mm down from the line.

Empty the bowl completely and then cycle the on/off switch with the key on a few times and see if the bowl fills up to the proper level.

+1. Very quick and easy way to see if you have fuel in the bowls.
Better yet, slide a piece of clear hose over the black tubing and hold it on the mark on the side of the carb and see if you have the proper wet fuel level. Should be approximately 17mm down from the line.

Empty the bowl completely and then cycle the on/off switch with the key on a few times and see if the bowl fills up to the proper level.

Now that's smart-instead of wasting gas letting it drip out of the overflow hoses onto the bike using it to measure float height---:thumbs up:

So, checked float bowls and some came out. Luckily I had my brother near by, and he lent me his relay just to see if that was the issue (it was my first hunch, and I am not so smart as to figure out how to test the voltage) an presto that was the issue. So, one in the mail and I should be back on the road.

Back