Question about draining bowls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Each time I have removed my carbs which are more than I would have liked to. I drained the bowls by the drain screws, the other day I read a post where they unplugged the fuel pump and then ran the bike until it stopped.

Is either way better? does draining with the drain screws drain it better than running them empty? To me running it empty would be easier so I'm hoping it is a good way to drain the bowls

Thanks
Ron

Drain hole is lowest point in carb so that will get 99% of the fuel out. A miniumim fuel level is needed for engine to run so there will be more in there once it stalls out.

Unplugging the fuel pump and running the bike until it stalls does not completely empty the bowls. Use the drain screws.

I knew it sounded too easy.........lol ok I will empty my bowls in the morning and change my mians......It would be nice if it is right after this....

I just pull them out and flip them over to drain them (through the hoses).

Sean

When I pull the mains with tooth picks ( dumb question ) do I cut the point of the end of the tooth pick or leave it on... Guys I DO NOT want to have to fish my mains out of the bowls so I want to make sure I do this right...

Thanks
Ron

If you flip'em then the lowest hole because the float fent nozzle. Doing this would get 100% of the fuel out since you can tip 'em back and forth.

If you flip'em then the lowest hole because the float fent nozzle. Doing this would get 100% of the fuel out since you can tip 'em back and forth.

OK you lost me, if when on the bike the drain holes are the lowest point then you pull the carbs out and if you flip them doesn't that lowest hole become on top now? or are you talking about draining through another hole?

Can you understand why it is confusing to me or am I just dumb as a rock?

Ya when you flip the carbs over all fuel drains through their top (which is, of course, now at the bottom!)

When removing the main jets, keep your toothpicks pointy, that's how you're going to manage inserting them into the jets and fishing them out! Just unfasten with THE RIGHT SIZE flat head screw driver, then insert the toothpick tight (not don't break it in there) and finish unscrewing with the pick, then pull straight out.

Ya when you flip the carbs over all fuel drains through their top (which is, of course, now at the bottom!)

When removing the main jets, keep your toothpicks pointy, that's how you're going to manage inserting them into the jets and fishing them out! Just unfasten with THE RIGHT SIZE flat head screw driver, then insert the toothpick tight (not don't break it in there) and finish unscrewing with the pick, then pull straight out.

OK got you on the tooth pick....Thanks

But the drains is till not computing.. if the drain are on the bottom when on the bike how can they still be on the bottom if you flip the carbs over ?? do you guys mean tip then on edge or 180 degrees over ( up side down )

You don't use the drain screws. Fuel will empty out of the float bowl vent tubes....which are now at the bottom.....

You don't use the drain screws. Fuel will empty out of the float bowl vent tubes....which are now at the bottom.....

I'm sorry I don't understand you guys all the time but I am learning more and more each day. It's difficult when you don't know the name of things so when you refer to something buy name and I don't know what it is , it is hard to understand.

OK so I have a pic of my carbs when they were flipped over, are you talking about the fuel coming out where I have the arrow pointing to??

If not and you have the ability to point to it can you please do so..

carb001.jpg

On a good note I am not freaking out as I use to now it is kinda fun learning these things. I PROMISE when I finally get a chance to meet all you guys beers will be on me... or whatever you drink..

Ron

No, if you flip the carbs the gas will come out of the top. Look for the big tubes that hook to the top of your air box. That is where the fuel will come out of.

See the four black rubber tubes in the pic I included?

Attachments

• carbs_02 (640 x 480).JPG
    carbs_02 (640 x 480).JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 20
as Mark said, once flipped over fuel will empty out of the vent hoses, which can't be seen on this pic since they're above the fuel bowls (on top when when sitting on the bike).

No, if you flip the carbs the gas will come out of the top. Look for the big tubes that hook to the top of your air box. That is where the fuel will come out of.

See the four black rubber tubes in the pic I included?

OK that now makes sense, I take those hoses off before removing the carbs but I guess now I know of a reason not to..........lol Thanks for being patient

Back