question for the carb gurus

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
finally attended an event where they had a dyno so i decided to see what i had. i bought the carbs from the owner of motoboutique in florida last year, bolted them on, synched the carbs and its running decent. except for the bobble around 5500-6500rpms. it's a "hybrid" stage 7 setup, so i'm not sure what exactly i got in there for needles and such. i'm using a crankcase breather filter setup as opposed to the normal stage 7-no puke bottle or hose to the oil fill. 4 individual filters, however they are longer than the normal stage 7 filters also, 5" total length of filter. HMF 4-2 full exhaust. dyna 3000 set on option 5, rev limiter set at 9000rpm. planning on getting the bike to either PCW or LCR preformance first thing next spring. basically just looking for suggestions on which direction to head.
hoping to hear from shawn, sean and maleko89. wish i had a little more mechanical ability so i could provide some more info, but i dont have the time, money or skills to check it myself. i gained about 11hp over the stock setup i was running prior to the stage 7 install and i'm getting about 110-120 miles before the fuel light comes on on the highway(cruising at 80-90mph) and about 80 in town. 20mpg better on the highway, 20mpg less in town-looks like a break even lol. thanks for the help

later odieoh24

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 86
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 67
i know u wanted to hear from the other guys, but i'd say thats pretty good man. whats ur elevation?

You look a little lean up top and could increase at least one size there. I shoot for 12.75 - 13.25:1 for a/f ratio. Do one change at a time. Do the needle test once you increase your main. There's a sticky post in the carbs section.

You look a little lean up top and could increase at least one size there. I shoot for 12.75 - 13.25:1 for a/f ratio. Do one change at a time. Do the needle test once you increase your main. There's a sticky post in the carbs section.

+1. That should make that curve nice and flat.:biglaugh:

i know u wanted to hear from the other guys, but i'd say thats pretty good man. whats ur elevation?

interested in hearing from everyone and anyone. just threw those names out there as they seem to be the ones everyone looks to for info on carbs and tuning. if i can cure the little stumble it has around 5500 i think i can get another 5-6hp out of it. thanks for chiming in. elevation is 320ft. in in south burlington, vt

odieoh24

interested in hearing from everyone and anyone. just threw those names out there as they seem to be the ones everyone looks to for info on carbs and tuning. if i can cure the little stumble it has around 5500 i think i can get another 5-6hp out of it. thanks for chiming in. elevation is 320ft. in in south burlington, vt

odieoh24

is the stumble at WOT or cruise or reasonable accel?

is the stumble at WOT or cruise or reasonable accel?

it's there pretty much regardless of throttle position. wot, slow accel and moderate accel also. gonna try the dyna on setting 4 tomorrow when i get home from work. how much different would the numbers be if the rev limiter on the dyna was set at 9500 instead of 9000? i'm thinking i gave up a few ponies there as well. thanks for the help guys.

ater odieoh24

in talking with morley i know these bikes have a tendency to do a rich dip right before the vboost range. mine cleared up (abit) by running with tboost. u may want to try the same/leave it on always? just a thought.

it's there pretty much regardless of throttle position. wot, slow accel and moderate accel also. gonna try the dyna on setting 4 tomorrow when i get home from work. how much different would the numbers be if the rev limiter on the dyna was set at 9500 instead of 9000? i'm thinking i gave up a few ponies there as well. thanks for the help guys.

ater odieoh24

I just looked at all the dynos I have done over the course of the last year and they all start to die off at the 9k mark. I would set it at 9500 just to make sure you pull everything you can.

ater odieoh24

Be careful and check the curves on the Dyna, curve 4 is the MOST advanced, NOT curve 5, the curve sheet is NOT a typo, I've talked to Dyna about this and they confirmed it, said that's just how it came out of design and it's stayed that way ever since.

I'm refering to the Dyna for the 93 and up Maxes.

Rusty

I just looked at all the dynos I have done over the course of the last year and they all start to die off at the 9k mark. I would set it at 9500 just to make sure you pull everything you can.

I set my rev-limiter at 10,000 and the shift light at 9500, that way I'm not bumping the rev-limiter when I shift. The bike is a 99 with 40,000 miles, bone stock internally and a 100 or more passes at the strip and god knows how many WOT 1, 2, 3, 4 shifts on the street on it and it ain't broke yet.

And I agree that your a little lean when on the mains.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back